StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2006, 07:29 PM   #31
LeeH

Re: 1992 5.0 build up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale McPeters
347 stroker with 11.2 to 1 compression, AFR-185 heads, 1.6 roller rockers TFS-R intake, 75mm TB, 42lb/hr injectors, good MAF, good roller cam in the 550-580 lift range, 4.10 gears, 5 speed of choice, Good tune. And a 100hp
wet shot of nitrous will get you where you want to be and then some....

And will be cheaper on your pocket book than a 351w based stroker.
Ask me how I know.........

LOL, Hey Dale that looks real familiar except for the 42# injectors. One question though what do you think it will do with the Jay cam, I am real hopefull it will make 420rwhp N/A.
LeeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:45 AM   #32
Robocop

Thanks for the phone number and I will give them a call. I suggested the above kits simply as I thought I would be limited to mail order parts places. I really did not think that there would be many places local to deal with.

I may just not be in the know these days however the only place I really could think of close to me was Hesco. I know the owner very well however even so his prices are huge for simple work as far as I could remember. I have went through many old magazines reading every article I could on strokers and found that many are at 450 hp very happily with stock blocks.

I believe my main problem is forming a simple plan. I have bought and traded many parts over the years and in the end have nothing to show for it. If I am going to do this I just need to stick with a simple plan to get me where I want to be. The biggest suprise was when I started to get back into it there are so many different choices now than there were in 1992 when I bought this car. There were maybe 2 major brands of intakes and heads and now there are way many more than that.

After reading on it all night I am actually starting to like the upper engine kit made by Trick Flow. It comes already matched with each part and the latest magazine showed a test on a 331 that put down some good numbers. For me the keep it simple method would most likely do best. The intake is not as pretty to me as the time tested GT-40 however it is not that bad. It did flow better and according to the magazine article the Trick Flow intake did very well on boosted applications.

I think I will start with a phone call to Pro Line and just ask them what they can offer. One more thing is that I need to get my block prepped. Can anyone give me a place that could do this for me local? And what all should I ask for when prepping my stock block for the build?
Robocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:29 AM   #33
NightHawk756
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robocop
Thanks for the phone number and I will give them a call. I suggested the above kits simply as I thought I would be limited to mail order parts places. I really did not think that there would be many places local to deal with.
Yeah, there are several local places that are very knowledable and are a little easier to deal with.

Quote:
I may just not be in the know these days however the only place I really could think of close to me was Hesco. I know the owner very well however even so his prices are huge for simple work as far as I could remember. I have went through many old magazines reading every article I could on strokers and found that many are at 450 hp very happily with stock blocks.
Yeah, I definately would not suggest Hesco unless you just have money to burn. Plus the fact that I have a close friend that has not had very good experiences with them.

Quote:
After reading on it all night I am actually starting to like the upper engine kit made by Trick Flow. It comes already matched with each part and the latest magazine showed a test on a 331 that put down some good numbers. For me the keep it simple method would most likely do best. The intake is not as pretty to me as the time tested GT-40 however it is not that bad. It did flow better and according to the magazine article the Trick Flow intake did very well on boosted applications.
I personally don't think you can go wrong with this type of kit. Each individual part is made to specifically work with the other. So, in essence, you get the max efficiency out of each one as a whole.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:21 PM   #34
Robocop

So can anyone suggest where to take my block to get it ready? Also do I need to have my pistons before I have my block done. Seems like I remember that you have to have your pistons before honing the block so they could measure or something???
Old 02-13-2006, 09:38 PM   #35
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
So can anyone suggest where to take my block to get it ready?
Lee and I use a place out here in Alexandria called Dutton's Performance. Danny has been in the business for a while and does a shitload of engine work for circle track cars. He even has an engine dyno on-site. I also know him and his brother have been woking with 5.0L Mustangs at least since the early 90's.

Quote:
Also do I need to have my pistons before I have my block done. Seems like I remember that you have to have your pistons before honing the block so they could measure or something???
If anything, you'll want your block bored first to determine what size pistons you will need. Yours being a low mileage 302, it probably will only need a .030over piston. However, if you ever have a questionable block, you realy can't tell what size piston you will need until the actuall machine work is started.

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:49 PM   #36
coupe
Super Moderator

Pistons are supposed to be ready to install into say a .030 overbore, but best bet is to give to the machinist to check and make sure. You can remove material, but you cannot add it back.

Howton's in Hueytown is good. They take a while, but their work is top-notch. There's another place near Sylacauga called Vinson (sp?). Supposed to be good too. Check Hesco if you know someone. They can do that stuff well too. They have a bad reputation for costing alot like mentioned above, but they are capable certainly.

edit: not trying to contradict Brian. He's right; let machinist at least check block to see how much it will have to go "overbore." But for final bore/hone work, he should have the pistons.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:00 AM   #37
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe

edit: not trying to contradict Brian. He's right; let machinist at least check block to see how much it will have to go "overbore." But for final bore/hone work, he should have the pistons.
yeah that's what Brian meant. They do a rough bore to see what shape the cylinders are in and then do the final bore after receiving the pistons.

Also, KB Zilla also uses the same machine shop we do for all his mod motors
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:15 PM   #38
Robocop

Thanks for the help and I will make a few calls to arrange my prep work on my block.

If it takes me a little time to put this all together and I have to store my block inside my garage is there any certain steps I should take when doing that? Would I have to worry about rust and crap setting in? I remember building a motor years back with my Uncle and he kept the cylinders coated with that Motor Honey stuff to prevent rust and other oxidation building up.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:46 AM   #39
EZ SPEED
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE
Also, KB Zilla also uses the same machine shop we do for all his mod motors

Yes I do...Dutton Perfomance Only machine shop around here that I trust.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:21 AM   #40
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
If it takes me a little time to put this all together and I have to store my block inside my garage is there any certain steps I should take when doing that? Would I have to worry about rust and crap setting in? I remember building a motor years back with my Uncle and he kept the cylinders coated with that Motor Honey stuff to prevent rust and other oxidation building up.
A thin coat of motor oil or WD40 on all surfaces will do just fine.

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote