StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2006, 04:48 AM   #51
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Re: 1992 5.0 build up

yep. more than likely the block will have to be notched. Pretty sure slvrbullit notched his
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:22 AM   #52
NightHawk756
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE
yep. more than likely the block will have to be notched. Pretty sure slvrbullit notched his
Mine had to be notched and it's also a 331.

If your planning on alot of boost, you may want to check into some dish pistons to keep the compression around 9.0-1. But, depending on what cc heads you use, you could probably get away with some flat tops. Just make sure, if your using Trick Flow heads that they are notched for such. If I remember correctly, my compression with my Probe dish-tops is around 8.9-1. But, I wanted to make sure it was very boost friendly. You may not want to go that low.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:46 PM   #53
Robocop

I just talked to Brady at Howtons automotive....what a classy guy he is. He was very helpful and also offered to help me with the entire build. He is a dealer for Eagle products and said he could give me a great deal on a stroker package.
He suggested a custom ground Comp. Cam however the Trick Flow Kit comes with a cam. I am not really sure of the specs of the Kit camshaft and I also do not know the cc of the heads. I tried searching on line and found no specs for the Trick Flow kit.
Anyway Brady seemed like a great guy and offered to help in any way he could. I told him many here had recommended him as well as a few old school racers from my work.

I was suprised to learn that 7 out of 10 331 builds have to be notched. He said it is very critical to not remove too much material and that he has a set up that will mock the motor up and rotate it to check clearances. He also said I could come by anytime during the build and take photos of all the processes involved....very cool guy.
Robocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 03:23 PM   #54
coupe
Super Moderator

Been there many times. Brady runs the front counter. Wait till you meet Sambo. He is a heck of a guy too. For reference, they built Bobby Allison's NASCAR motors way back when.

TFS heads are a 61cc chamber. The cam would be a nice street cam for a 331. I run it in my 302 & love it. I would stick with the kit. Check out what Howton's can do pricewise on the Eagle stuff...I can price you on a 331 forged kit also.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:25 PM   #55
Robocop

I liked Brady simply as he was friendly and did not mind talking even though he was very busy. He went over all aspects of the build and told me he would almost guarantee that he could get the lowest cost on parts. He said he makes most of his money in the machine work and that he does very well by word of mouth referrals.
Coupe I do think I will stick with the kit and Brady told me to get the specs on the cam that comes in the kit. It may be as good of a match as I will need to work with all the other parts. I really like the TrickFlow kit as it has a timing chain and roller rockers with the kit. It also has pushrods and a few other things that I will be able to use.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:28 PM   #56
coupe
Super Moderator

Cool. Specs are as follows...Stage 1 Trick Flow:
Lift: .499 Intake / .510 Exhaust (with 1.6ratio)
Duration: 275 Intake / .279º Exhaust (gross duration)
221º Intake / 225º Exhaust (.050 duration)

Timing (@ .050): Intake: open 3º BTC close 38º ABC
Exhaust: open 49º BBC close 4º BTC
Lobe Separation Angle: 112º
Intake Centerline is ground on 108º (it's got 4º advance.

This is what they will want to look at. Not sure what their cam knowledge is, but this thing is great. Might be a little small for the 331.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:18 PM   #57
Robocop

Thanks for the help coupe....I searched all over the TrickFlow site and could not find any detailed specs. for the Kit assembly. Brady told me that he has a contract with Comp Cams and that his contact has been in the business for 30 years. If this cam is part of the kit I may be wasting my time designing a custom ground cam when I already have one coming to me.

He did say that most power was in the heads and the cam. Is this cam you have shown above a decent cam? I really do not know anything at all when it comes to lift and duration stuff. I do like a kind of choppy idle sound and only know that the cam has something to do with that.

Would I be that much better off to let a pro design and spec me a custom cam?? Would this above cam coupe has shown me make my target power level?
Old 02-16-2006, 09:42 PM   #58
coupe
Super Moderator

No offense to them, but they are not cam-designers. They will ask Comp and most-likely you will get an off-the-shelf grind.

The TFS kit can be "upgraded" to the Stage 2 cam...Not sure the cost difference, but it would be better suited to a 331. It's a 224/232 (289/294 gross) duration cam with .542/.563 lift (intake/exhaust). It's definitely serious & I'd recommend pistons specifically for the TFS heads...which have slightly rotated valve geometry. But it's streetable.
The Stage2 sounds nasty

The Stage 1 cam is great on my 302. With 1.7 rockers, it might feed a 331 okay, but I think I'd go with the 2 and 1.6 rockers.

Old 02-16-2006, 09:50 PM   #59
ncontt
pro-jackstand racer

Send a message via AIM to ncontt Send a message via Yahoo to ncontt

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe
The Stage2 sounds nasty
kewl, this is what I like to hear...that is the one I will be running on my coupe as well...[/hijack]
Old 02-18-2006, 04:37 AM   #60
Robocop

I think I put a question in the wrong forum earlier and thought I was on this thread.....I will try it here.

Before I go much further I need to decide if I will need a new K-Member or not so I can have it put in while my motor is out. I have priced the Griggs and D&D and read some good stuff about the Maximum motorsports. What is the main benefit besides weight reduction and do I really need one??