StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2006, 08:05 AM   #61
NightHawk756
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Re: 1992 5.0 build up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robocop
I think I put a question in the wrong forum earlier and thought I was on this thread.....I will try it here.

Before I go much further I need to decide if I will need a new K-Member or not so I can have it put in while my motor is out. I have priced the Griggs and D&D and read some good stuff about the Maximum motorsports. What is the main benefit besides weight reduction and do I really need one??
That's strictly an answer you'll have to decide your self. Do you "need" one? No, not really. Are ther advantages to having one? Sure. Like increased room for headers etc., weight savings, better looks etc. That's money you could save if you don't want one. But your right, now would be the best time to put one in if you ever thought you would want one in the future.

The biggest thing I think most people use them for is the weight savings. And truth be known, the "real" weight savings comes from the entire kit....the k-member and tubular a-arms. It's around 35-40 lbs with the k-member and about 75 lbs with both. But then, your looking at having to go coil over in the front with tubular a-arms on most kits. So, it starts to get expensive.

But, if you want to save a little weight fairly cheap without having to go coil over, you can do just the k member and if you want to upgrade arms later, then you can. I used an AJE Racing K-member with road race bracing and then used my stock a-arms and springs.

Here's a link to AJE Racing........http://www.ajeracing.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kmember.jpg (64.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 02-19-2006, 10:32 AM   #62
1sicklx
BamaMafia 4 Life

AJE =
Old 02-19-2006, 01:54 PM   #63
Robocop

Flashbang that is a nice,clean set up and I really do think I will go ahead and have a K-Kmember installed while I can. Once the car is running I will save for the other parts. I really never paid much attention to weight savings however now is as good of a time as any to start. I am also thinking on if I want to go with no A/C on the car and ditch the power steering for a cleaner underhood look. I am still un-decided about this but for now the main thing is the parts I really need to have installed while I have the chance with the motor out.

One last thing....anyone know anything about motor mounts?? I like the Poly mounts and do not really know the difference between solid and poly. mounts. If this car is to see weekend use what would be best and why??
Robocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:08 PM   #64
coupe
Super Moderator

I sent you a PM. I like the Energy Suspension mounts. I am using them on my buildup. Trans mount too.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:24 PM   #65
NightHawk756

Yeah, your right. Now's a better time than any to go ahead with the K-member.

As far as the power steering and a/c go, I say keep 'em. Sure, they're just creature comforts, but you won't know how much you miss them until they're gone. I suggest on a street car, that you keep both. But that's one of those decisions again that comes back to preference.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:27 PM   #66
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

keep the a/c and p/s. Use motor mounts from a convertible mustang
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 08:03 PM   #67
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

I'm thinking Noel wouldn't know the difference if his car didn't have power steering.... have you seen his arm?!

But in all seriousness, I recomend keeping both A/C and power steering. Sure it would clean up the engine bay a little, but it's more imressive to have a bad-ass street car that still has all the creature comforts.

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 08:14 PM   #68
joker
Friends

Removing the a/c does clean up the engine bay quite a bit. There is a good bit more room in my bay than there is on a factory a/c car. Personally, I dont ever use the a/c anyways, so I would ditch it. Power steering however, I would keep. The Ford a/c delete kit moves the power steering pump up where the a/c pump is now. If you dont, then it causes a problem routing the belt. Ugly engine bay I know, but it will be getting painted whenever the engine comes out. Alot of the wires organized better since the pic was taken. Here is a pic of mine without the a/c and the ps relocated

joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 08:18 PM   #69
NightHawk756

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker
Removing the a/c does clean up the engine bay quite a bit. There is a good bit more room in my bay than there is on a factory a/c car. Personally, I dont ever use the a/c anyways, so I would ditch it. Power steering however, I would keep. The Ford a/c delete kit moves the power steering pump up where the a/c pump is now. If you dont, then it causes a problem routing the belt. Ugly engine bay I know, but it will be getting painted whenever the engine comes out. Alot of the wires organized better since the pic was taken. Here is a pic of mine without the a/c and the ps relocated

You don't ever use your a/c?? I have a vert and I still end up using the a/c sometimes. Especially if the wife's riding. You can forget riding with a women without atleast having the option of using a/c.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:20 PM   #70
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashbang756
You don't ever use your a/c?? I have a vert and I still end up using the a/c sometimes. Especially if the wife's riding. You can forget riding with a women without atleast having the option of using a/c.

Also, without A/C, you won't have an effective defroster -- make sure you have a rag to wipe your windshield when it fogs over in the winter time.

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote