StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2006, 08:21 PM   #71
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Re: 1992 5.0 build up

I have to have a/c. I hate riding with windows down
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 08:23 PM   #72
NightHawk756
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian LX

Also, without A/C, you won't have an effective defroster -- make sure you have a rag to wipe your windshield when it fogs over in the winter time.
Ooooh yeah, I forgot about that one too. That teh sucks when you cant see in the winter through your windshield from the fog screen. There's more than just creature comfort reasons to keep it.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:27 PM   #73
joker
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashbang756
You don't ever use your a/c?? I have a vert and I still end up using the a/c sometimes. Especially if the wife's riding. You can forget riding with a women without atleast having the option of using a/c.
No, I rarely ever use the a/c. I may have turned it on all of twice last year.

The wife doesnt like riding in fox body stangs anyways. Something about all the little rattles and creeks they tend to make. Plus if we go anywhere together, we would probably take the kia or the truck. If not, she can either deal with no a/c or stay at home (If that is repeated to her I will deny it of coarse)
joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 08:29 PM   #74
joker
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian LX

Also, without A/C, you won't have an effective defroster -- make sure you have a rag to wipe your windshield when it fogs over in the winter time.
Hum you have a point, but I wonder if the defroster is some how setup different in non a/c cars.
joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 08:35 PM   #75
coupe
Super Moderator

A heater core will defrost your windshield. Just need to get glass warm...it won't frost over then.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:46 PM   #76
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe
A heater core will defrost your windshield. Just need to get glass warm...it won't frost over then.
Okay, maybe I should've called it the defogger then.

Sure, warm air may defog a windsheild somewhat... but you have to wait for the core to warm up enough. An A/C can run cold air to the window and defog it almost instantly due to the drying of the air (hence the name, air conditioning). This obviously comes in very handy since it's mostly needed during the first part of a drive when the car is cold.

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 09:30 PM   #77
Robocop

Well I think I will keep the A/C however I am not sure how well it will work. It was doing very fine and blew nice cold air when it was parked about 5 years back. I have already yanked all the smog crap and am starting to try and clean my engine bay a little. I am also sorting through this big ass box of brackets and other parts trying to see what all I can use. I did not label or bag anything when I took it apart. I am trying to hide what wires I can but man there are so many different ones I am a little intimidated to even try. I can not remember what went where however I figured that now is the best time since the motor is out.

What is the reason for using convertable motor mounts?? Will they work as well as a set of aftermarket ones and are they solid mounts?
Robocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 09:37 PM   #78
NightHawk756
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robocop
What is the reason for using convertable motor mounts?? Will they work as well as a set of aftermarket ones and are they solid mounts?
I'm using convertable mounts on mine.

Nah, for a street car I don't suggest sold mounts. Solid mounts were originally made for race only cars. Although some use them on the street. But, with solids, you'll feel just about all vibration from the engine. So I don't suggest them. Use some energy suspension poly's or the convertable stock mounts.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:38 PM   #79
04 Mach1
Bet I red light B4U

Send a message via AIM to 04 Mach1

The vert mounts loop over each other making them much stronger they look alot like any after market mount just with out the urethane.
04 Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:27 PM   #80
LeeH

Quote:
Brady told me that he has a contract with Comp Cams and that his contact has been in the business for 30 years.
I am not doubting what you say but my personal experiences with Comp Cams custom grinds is that they tend to do the same thing every other cam grinder does, They take existing lobe A along with lobe X and position them on a cheap core. The cam usually comes out with the XE lobes which require one hell of alot of spring pressure which is not good for most hydraulic roller lifters. The only thing that can be done is to either modify your existing lifters to go solid after .050 or increase the engine oil pressure.

Quote:
If this cam is part of the kit I may be wasting my time designing a custom ground cam when I already have one coming to me.
The TFS cams are good cheap cams that work well for what they are. The only way to choose the correct cam is to know what you want and let the induction dictate what it needs to propperly fill the void below it using your expectations as a guide to choose the correct window for peak volumetric efficiency.

Quote:
He did say that most power was in the heads and the cam. Is this cam you have shown above a decent cam? I really do not know anything at all when it comes to lift and duration stuff. I do like a kind of choppy idle sound and only know that the cam has something to do with that.
What is your entire combo, Dont pick a cam because you like the way it sounds.

Quote:
Would I be that much better off to let a pro design and spec me a custom cam?? Would this above cam coupe has shown me make my target power level?
A custom cam opposed to an OTS will offer many advantages, OTS cams are mostly rather peakish in terms of HP and TQ. A custom cam can offer a much flatter more usable curve along with superior idle quality and higher peak numbers.
LeeH is offline   Reply With Quote