StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 08:45 PM   #11
slvrbullit
Super Moderator

Re: What ignition setup for 7,000 rpm or greater shifts?

Doesnt the EEc limiter cut fuel and not spark? Which inturn would be bad, I really do not know is why I am asking.

2000 Ford F-350 Dually Lariat LE Crew Cab Short Box
7.3 auto 168,000 miles
slvrbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:53 PM   #12
ERStettin

Quote:
For some strange reason, he'd rather use the EEC rev limiter instead of the MSD.
Fellas, the TwEECer RT allows me to set the rev limiter to the moon as well. It pulls spark or fuel (not sure which) in the same manner the MSD does. The only reason I was considering the A6L was for a carb setup in the future when I don't use the TwEECer. Then its rev limiter would be nice to have.

What is the difference between the rev limiter on the MSD and the TwEECer? They both operate the exact same way correct?
Dart 360 (ADPerformance), FTI AFR 225, FTI Edelbrock Victor EFI, FTI Cam, Pro M 80 MM (42lb injectors), KOOKS Longtubes 1 7/8 inch to 2 inch to 3.5 inch collectors, Pro Motion TKO, FMS 4.88, Global West Suspension, ET Drags, TwEECer RT

10.74 @ 127.68 (best so far)

THANKS : Ed Curtis www.flowtechinduction.com, Dave of www.jdsperformance.com, Walt of Pro Motion Transmissions, Jack of www.musclemotors.com, Brian of www.adperformance.com and Matt of SPEC clutches (www.specclutch.com)
ERStettin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:59 PM   #13
slvrbullit
Super Moderator

I have heard that the factory EEC rev limiter was actually a fuel cut and now a spark cut, the MSD cuts the spark ao it fires oddly.

2000 Ford F-350 Dually Lariat LE Crew Cab Short Box
7.3 auto 168,000 miles
slvrbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 06:34 AM   #14
Shankin

On my car with stock elctronics the stock ignition ssytem with a 6al box works just fine. I have seen cars make over 1000 to the tires with a stock ford coil and a 6al so i guess it would be ok for your combo.
Shankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 09:35 AM   #15
93Cobra#2771
The Kocky One

Regarding the EEC rev limiter. It does, indeed, cut fuel. However, it doesn't cut a little fuel, it cuts ALL THE FUEL TO EVERY OTHER CYLINDER.

In other words, it makes every other cylinder a dead cylinder (effective pumping air). So, it avoids the problems of killing spark (cylinder wash from injectors still firing, and sometimes backfiring down the exhaust system due to the raw fuel pumping through the cylinders).

With that being said, Ed, I do recommend upping to aftermarket ignition. Better burn, hotter spark, etc. You can leave the rev limiting out of it and still use your EEC, or you do as Italian said and raise the EEC rev limit a few hundred rpm over the aftermarket rev limiter.

I currently run my MSD without an rpm chip, and use the EEC for rev limiting duties. You should also look into the Crane stuff - it's a little higher tech than the MSD, and a lot cleaner looking inside the case.

BTW, I do not know about the later model EEC's rev limiting methods, this only applies to 93 and older...

Kocky will be back!

93Cobra#2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 02:58 PM   #16
ERStettin

Thanks for the information Richard. I am on the verge of buying a HI-6 setup right now. I should know this evening. I want to upgrade now so that I will be set for later....lol.
Dart 360 (ADPerformance), FTI AFR 225, FTI Edelbrock Victor EFI, FTI Cam, Pro M 80 MM (42lb injectors), KOOKS Longtubes 1 7/8 inch to 2 inch to 3.5 inch collectors, Pro Motion TKO, FMS 4.88, Global West Suspension, ET Drags, TwEECer RT

THANKS : Ed Curtis www.flowtechinduction.com, Dave of www.jdsperformance.com, Walt of Pro Motion Transmissions, Jack of www.musclemotors.com, Brian of www.adperformance.com and Matt of SPEC clutches (www.specclutch.com)
Old 08-02-2005, 06:57 PM   #17
Wickd GT
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERStettin
Thanks for the information Richard. I am on the verge of buying a HI-6 setup right now. I should know this evening. I want to upgrade now so that I will be set for later....lol.
You mean the Crane Hi-6? Stay away from it, this box is known for misfire at top end, not as reliable as the MSD.

Edgar
Wickd GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 09:31 PM   #18
ERStettin

Edgar,

Where is information on this misfire stuff with the HI-6? I have been scouring the internet and talking with friends that are running them and they have had zero problems with them.

On the other hand, read this. http://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...ht=distributor I was going to go with a MSD setup but after reading this and talking to some people with these same experiences I decided the HI-6 is the way to go for me.

I have a friend here in Iowa that had the same experience with his MSD 6AL box actually failing and having to have it replaced last year. He is running a Crane HI-6 now. I know MSD's were good before the buy out several years ago, but as of the last few years, they seem to be going in the crapper.

Again, I have zero experience with any of them. I am just going on word of mouth from some hard core racing friends and they are telling me to stay away from MSD. They are telling me their first hand experiences and that means alot to me.

I am glad it is working for you. They seem to be hit or miss lately.

Old 08-03-2005, 12:17 AM   #19
Disney Lincoln

For that kind of RPM, I would look into a 7 series system and a Crank trigger.
Disney Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:05 AM   #20
Wickd GT
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERStettin
Edgar,

Where is information on this misfire stuff with the HI-6? I have been scouring the internet and talking with friends that are running them and they have had zero problems with them.

On the other hand, read this. http://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...ht=distributor I was going to go with a MSD setup but after reading this and talking to some people with these same experiences I decided the HI-6 is the way to go for me.

I have a friend here in Iowa that had the same experience with his MSD 6AL box actually failing and having to have it replaced last year. He is running a Crane HI-6 now. I know MSD's were good before the buy out several years ago, but as of the last few years, they seem to be going in the crapper.

Again, I have zero experience with any of them. I am just going on word of mouth from some hard core racing friends and they are telling me to stay away from MSD. They are telling me their first hand experiences and that means alot to me.

I am glad it is working for you. They seem to be hit or miss lately.
On that you are right, I have seen lately a lot of the MSD failing, the HI-6 a freind of mine here with a 582 BBC had the Crane but when in the higher rpm 7500-8000rpm it will misfire taking with it 4 pistons, nobody has said this, but the Mallory box it is a very good box in all rpms. Now you said you might consider later on to go Carb, then I'll go with the 7 box, lots a good features in that box.

Edgar
Wickd GT is offline   Reply With Quote