StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 08:51 PM   #1
ujslost

Found a new project, worth it?

I found me a 94 v6 stang with a real solid body. Has a rod knocking. And I been thinking about buying it and throwing a v8 at her, not sure if I want to carb it or EFI it though. I have done this once before to a 90 model 4banger lx.
I just have a few questions about this 3.8 though. It is an automatic, will it bolt to the back of a 4.6 or a 5.0? Whats the differance in the drive shafts from a 3.8 to a 5.0 in the SN95 body.
See heres what i have going. I currently have a 97 black gt vert 4.6 5 speed.
I want to give it to my wife. But I thought about taking the T45 -5 speed out of the 97 model and sticking it in the 94 model behind a 5.0 if it will match up. Then take the automatic from the 94 model and stick it behind the 4.6 for my wife. Both cars are black cept one is a vert. Gonna build me the 5.0 up let the wife have the vert and make both cars look like twins from the outside appearance, cept 1 hard top and 1 vert. Kinda like a "HIS and HERS" type deal.
ujslost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
ujslost

how will i get my ignition working? this thing has a coil pack doesnt it?
would i have to just run some hot wires to a msd box, go carbed and use an 85 model dist.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:58 PM   #3
04 Mach1
Bet I red light B4U

Send a message via AIM to 04 Mach1
Trans from a v6 will not bolt up to a 4.6 or 5.0. The t45 won't bolt up to the 5.0. I'm pretty sure the driveshaft is the same. To efi it, it would be best to find a donar car.
04 Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:26 PM   #4
ujslost

thanks for clearing that up. so the tranny will only bolt to a 3.8?
How hard would it be to use an A9L and an 89 model engine harness? what would I have to do there?
I have a EFI long block ready to go. Just have to deceide either efi or carb, which ever is cheapest and easiet to start with
Old 06-06-2007, 09:52 PM   #5
joker
Friends

If you are gonna do a efi v8 at least get the engine harness from a 94 or 95 gt. You can "make" anything work but all the trouble it would be just wouldnt be worth it to me. Also, if you dont have a complete donor for the efi swap it will be a pita rounding up all the parts. If it were me I would either go carbed or just save up the money and buy a 94 -95 gt. They can be had pretty cheap if you watch for deals. Sure they may need a thing or two done to them, but not near what you would go through with that kind of project. I did one carbed to efi project, and will never do another one.

Also, if I am not mistaken the fox accesories will not fit properly under an sn95 hood, so you have to round up that stuff for a sn95 as well if you dont already have it.

94 and 95 gt's were still 5.0 distributor cars, if that is what you are asking.

Last edited by joker; 06-06-2007 at 09:58 PM.
joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:12 AM   #6
qkjuicedpony
Dayuuuuuuum!!!!!

The fox accessories will fit under an sn95 hood.if the v6 trans is a 5 speed it will work with a bellhousing swap although the v6 5 speed isnt as strong as a v8 trans.the efi swap can become involved and you can swap it to a 94-95 efi setup or you can do a setup from a foxbody.

If this is something you dont want to get into....pm me the details on the car and ill come get it

07 F350 dooly.....Tows my fifth wheel
qkjuicedpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:20 AM   #7
04 Mach1
Bet I red light B4U

Send a message via AIM to 04 Mach1
I thought the sn95 efi system were not as good as the foxes? Why go throught the rounding up of the 94-95 computer and harness when you can get a complete wiring harness(aftermarket I beleive painless makes it) for a 5.0 for around 400 so you can stuff a 5.0 in any car. Sure all the gauages in the dash might not work but those usually get replaced. I have always wanted a 94-95 gt but came figured out if to have one it will end up being a v6 car first then swapping over to the v8.
04 Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:55 AM   #8
druhma

I haven't posted much but here my opion on the subject. I have just rebuilt my 1994 GT. Just really a refresh with a bigger cam and fuel injectors to match. I ended up spending money on a piggy back computer to make it run right. I am fighting a hugh learning curve on the computer. If I would have gone carb I would be done messing with it and burning the tires off. If I had to do it over again I would have switched to carb. I still might end up doing that any way, just a lot of $$ and time wasted on the computer.
druhma is offline   Reply With Quote