StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Mod Motor Tech (4.6 & 5.4)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2005, 11:44 AM   #1
Wall96cobra
ooooo cake!!!

TB adjustment screw and TPS voltage

I've been told you should NOT mess with the adjustment screw on the throttle body (which I did to keep my car from going dead after the tune). Someone was saying it could mess with the TPS voltage but I can't see how it could. Has anyone ever heard this?
Wall96cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 11:52 AM   #2
rtusnake
Halfshaft Killer

Re: TB adjustment screw and TPS voltage

I've never heard that before but i guess anything is possible. I have adjusted mine as well and seems to be fine. Maybe someone else knows
rtusnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 11:59 AM   #3
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall96cobra
I've been told you should NOT mess with the adjustment screw on the throttle body (which I did to keep my car from going dead after the tune). Someone was saying it could mess with the TPS voltage but I can't see how it could. Has anyone ever heard this?
It could change the voltage at "closed throttle" slightly (the voltage would read a little higher). However, I don't think it would be high enough to wreak any havoc on how your car runs. Most TPS sensors I have checked read a lot lower at idle, so unless you have adjusted yours, it's probably still below where it should be.

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 12:11 PM   #4
Wall96cobra
ooooo cake!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian LX
It could change the voltage at "closed throttle" slightly (the voltage would read a little higher). However, I don't think it would be high enough to wreak any havoc on how your car runs. Most TPS sensors I have checked read a lot lower at idle, so unless you have adjusted yours, it's probably still below where it should be.

That's how I was looking at it. As long as my car idles ok then I don't see a problem or how it could affect part throttle or wot driving.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:13 PM   #5
86GT

The TPS on the 86-93 cars needs to be under 1.0 at an idle. Most people will adjust the idle set screw and then ream out the mounting holes on the TPS to adjust for a voltage of .98 or so.

As for the 94+ cars the EEC takes a snap shot of the TPS value at startup. This then becomes the idle TPS value until the car is restarted. If it were me I would still not let the TPS value get above 1.1.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TB Adjustment.jpg (88.9 KB, 11 views)

A9M, TwEECer, 306ci, 73mm C&L w Tuner Tube, Cobra Intake, 42# inj, Edelbrock 6037, E303 cam, 155 fuel pump, FPR, 70mm TB, E-Fan, 3.55 gears, Powerdyne 9psi actual 5psi...way more.
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 04:08 PM   #6
Wall96cobra
ooooo cake!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86GT
The TPS on the 86-93 cars needs to be under 1.0 at an idle. Most people will adjust the idle set screw and then ream out the mounting holes on the TPS to adjust for a voltage of .98 or so.

As for the 94+ cars the EEC takes a snap shot of the TPS value at startup. This then becomes the idle TPS value until the car is restarted. If it were me I would still not let the TPS value get above 1.1.

So is there a certain voltage or range it needs to be in the WOT position also?
Old 05-03-2005, 06:24 PM   #7
86GT

No, The WOT depends on the TP breakpoint. The TP breakpoint is set to 2.7 from the factory. This is then added to the idle TP to get the final WOT voltage. This would normally be around 3.7 volts.

I have my TP set at 0.98 at an idle, and it goes to 4.73 at WOT.

A9M, TwEECer, 306ci, 73mm C&L w Tuner Tube, Cobra Intake, 42# inj, Edelbrock 6037, E303 cam, 155 fuel pump, FPR, 70mm TB, E-Fan, 3.55 gears, Powerdyne 9psi actual 5psi...way more.
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote