StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Chassis, Drivetrain, Suspension, Brakes & Tires
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2009, 05:16 PM   #21
EHardy1971
Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
You could save a few bucks on a modified Crown Vic part, but is it worth the hassle of maybe two trips to Birmingham??
The CV shaft is a 3 1/2" like the FRPP,and Explorer shaft. After mine was said and done,I came out about $200 cheaper.Just throwing that out there.
06 TBSS
EHardy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:43 AM   #22
03slobra

I have a bunch of high rpm launches on stock and alum. driveshafts steel is cheaper,i never had any prob.out of either,oh they both had stock u joints.I had 1.4-1.5 60ft times.
03slobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:03 AM   #23
jonosranger
Boost! Its wats 4 dinner

^ Thanks for the info
jonosranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:42 PM   #24
BAD INT

steel will take more abuse,the alums are nice and pretty for the fag type guys but steel is real
BAD INT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 05:17 AM   #25
Wickd GT
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD INT View Post
steel will take more abuse,the alums are nice and pretty for the fag type guys but steel is real

Well, I have used aluminum driveshaft in my car shooting out of the gate 250 of the good old juice and never broke one. If they are built right they will last. Steel one I like but vibration is a concern. So, I did not know I was a fag type of guy!
Wickd GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:04 AM   #26
TheJeanyus
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickd GT View Post
Well, I have used aluminum driveshaft in my car shooting out of the gate 250 of the good old juice and never broke one. If they are built right they will last. Steel one I like but vibration is a concern. So, I did not know I was a fag type of guy!
Even your car is flamin'!
TheJeanyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:43 AM   #27
coupe
Super Moderator

Quote:
If they are built right they will last.
Exactly...goes for any material.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:48 PM   #28
BAD INT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickd GT View Post
all materials will transfer vibrations if you have solid rear suspension connections,quality and accuracy of the balance are detrimental to both but steel is better unless you got a carbon fiber if you need one of those let me know.If you watch a piece of steel tubing vs alum in tests the steel will flex and snap back and most likely the alum will twist and warp or twist in half.

Most people think that aluminum shafts are the be all end all and they are really mis educated

I will take my moly over alum any day,Egdar did they say how much weight you saved over moly if any or did it out weigh it?yours is a custom one isnt it??

I know stock shafts go bad but I know people who have been running tens for ten years on a stock shaft and two of them still on stock joints and some in the nines.

cheap test for all of you folks use a paint marker and a yard stick and draw a line on your driveshaft that will tell you if its twisting.

Last edited by BAD INT; 05-29-2009 at 12:51 PM.
BAD INT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:55 PM   #29
EHardy1971
Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Egdar did they say how much weight you saved over moly if any or did it out weigh it
Well,I'm not speaking for Edgar,but my steel one weighed 21 lbs,and the aluminum one weighed 12,so it was 9 lbs lighter.
06 TBSS
EHardy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:22 AM   #30
Wickd GT
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD INT View Post
all materials will transfer vibrations if you have solid rear suspension connections,quality and accuracy of the balance are detrimental to both but steel is better unless you got a carbon fiber if you need one of those let me know.If you watch a piece of steel tubing vs alum in tests the steel will flex and snap back and most likely the alum will twist and warp or twist in half.

Most people think that aluminum shafts are the be all end all and they are really mis educated

I will take my moly over alum any day,Egdar did they say how much weight you saved over moly if any or did it out weigh it?yours is a custom one isnt it??

I know stock shafts go bad but I know people who have been running tens for ten years on a stock shaft and two of them still on stock joints and some in the nines.

cheap test for all of you folks use a paint marker and a yard stick and draw a line on your driveshaft that will tell you if its twisting.
Well, I just won a quick 8 shoot out this past weekend and the drive shaft work flawlessly. I hit it pretty hard at the launch. My steel drive shaft weighted a huge 23lbs compare to 12lbs. My car runs in the mid 9 seconds and soon hopefully in the low 40s. Oh by the way, how fast is your car and what drive shaft you have on it?
Wickd GT is offline   Reply With Quote