StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Interior, Sound, and Shine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 02:37 PM   #11
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Re: claybar ??

meguiars makes claybars as well. Usually can get them at Advance.

I started using the dawn/water liquid left over from washing my car for the claybar lubricant. Works very well
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 02:52 PM   #12
93Cobra#2771
The Kocky One

Hopefully you are using fresh water/dawn mixture, and not the water left over that has all kinds of dirt/pollutants already in it...

Kocky will be back!

93Cobra#2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 11:21 PM   #13
SphyNxXx
Resident GM Troll

Send a message via AIM to SphyNxXx

I really like the Clay Magic claybar kit. It seemed to do better for me than the Meguiars. The only change I would recommend to your attack is the use of Dawn. The claybar should remove a lot of the old wax. Dawn can discolor your trim. If you want to make sure you do not have any old wax after claybarring, use a pre-wax polish. I like the Wolfgang Prewax Polish Enhancer, but it is not sold in stores. You have to order it from www.wolfgangcarcare.com.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:25 PM   #14
SphyNxXx
Resident GM Troll

Oh yeah, one last tidbit. Shorty, I dont know what kind of 'wax' you are using, but most of the over-the-counter stuff such as Meguiars Gold Class and NXT are not true waxes. They are either synthetic waxes (GC) or paint sealants. Sealants have great durability, but they often don't have the depth of a true wax. If you use something like NXT, after applying it, wait 24 hours and follow up with a coat of S100 carnauba paste wax. It can be picked up from almost any Harley store.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:45 AM   #15
Shorty
Pr0j3ct P1mp T1t3, y0!

the kit i was looking at was a Mother's. i know their stuff is usually pretty good.

Spyynxx---i usually use Macquires, actually i have never waxed the stang, only quick detailed it. (looks pretty good not have been waxed in 2 years ) i was thinking of using Mothers Carnuba wax this time. i wonder if this is the same as what you mentioned at the Harley shop.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:30 AM   #16
SphyNxXx
Resident GM Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty
the kit i was looking at was a Mother's. i know their stuff is usually pretty good.

Spyynxx---i usually use Macquires, actually i have never waxed the stang, only quick detailed it. (looks pretty good not have been waxed in 2 years ) i was thinking of using Mothers Carnuba wax this time. i wonder if this is the same as what you mentioned at the Harley shop.
I seriously doubt it will. Most 'carnauba' wax you buy in a store doesn't have the concentration of carnauba as products like S100, P2S1, and Pinnacle Souverian. I doubt you want to buy Pinnacle Souverian paste though, because it runs about $65 for a can S100 runs around $15.

The car does look good for not being waxed in that lenght of time, but if you want it to continue looking that way, time to use a little elbow grease and shine it up. Waxing/polishing does more than just makes it shine. It puts a protective layer on the paint to save it from the elements. A good analogy I heard was, if you went fishing every day, would you go and sit there with wearing nothing but your underwear? No clothes, no hat, no sunscreen. If you did this each day, the effects of the sun would start getting to you in that your skin would become dry and wrinkled, and possibly even worse. Not applying wax/sealant to a car is the same as making it stay outside naked.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:44 PM   #17
Shorty
Pr0j3ct P1mp T1t3, y0!

i know it has really been needing it.....so now its time. i am sure that the fact the car has sat in a gargage all its life has helped. i will have to find out where the closets Harley shop is. i think there is one in Trussville. is there one on the Eastside?
Old 08-30-2005, 01:23 PM   #18
SphyNxXx
Resident GM Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty
i know it has really been needing it.....so now its time. i am sure that the fact the car has sat in a gargage all its life has helped. i will have to find out where the closets Harley shop is. i think there is one in Trussville. is there one on the Eastside?
Sitting in the garage will help. You should have seen my g/f's car before I came along. It was exposed to the elements 24/7, hadn't been waxed since they bought it in late 2001, was often sprayed off with non-filtered water and allowed to air dry, etc. The car's paint was a mess. NO beading action at all. Last week, I gave it a well needed full detail with spot claybarring, swirl remover via Porter Cable DA polilsher, WG polish and sealant. WORLD of difference now

Isn't there a Harley shop next door to Walker Dyno? I bought my S100 at one in Montgomery, so I can't help too much there.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:24 PM   #19
Shorty
Pr0j3ct P1mp T1t3, y0!

i think it is Honda or something beside walker. thanks for your help.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:26 PM   #20
TheJeanyus
Administrator

There is a Harley place in Trussville, but it isn't the place by the Dyno - that's Icon Power Sports or whatever it's called.
TheJeanyus is offline   Reply With Quote