StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2005, 03:24 PM   #21
Wall96cobra
ooooo cake!!!

Re: '93 and 94/95 Cobra Intakes

Quote:
BUT however I can build a mid-high 300's N/A motor and convert the car over for cheaper than I can probably build a 340rwhp 4.6 motor.

Sorry I can't see that, if you swap you will have to buy a used 5.0 motor which even if you get one for $200 (assuming you don't rebuild it) that's only the begining because you will have to have a descent intake ($500) and descent heads ($1000) then a aftermarket or custom cam ($150-$300) wiring harness and computer ($200-$250) then there's the throttle body ($200) mass-air ($200) injectors ($150-$200 used) a t-5 and clutch (probably atleast $700) and this is not even counting all the misc gaskets and bolts etc that you will need. And this motor will not be a mid 300rwhp motor, you would have to up the compression or up the dissplacement to do that and there's a good chunk of change. If you want to stay n/a you can modify your intake and get some SHM cams pretty cheap and with a tune you would be close to 340rwhp, and if you want more do a cheap rebuild with stock rods, high comp pistons.
Wall96cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 05:47 PM   #22
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall96cobra
Sorry I can't see that, if you swap you will have to buy a used 5.0 motor which even if you get one for $200 (assuming you don't rebuild it) that's only the begining because you will have to have a descent intake ($500) and descent heads ($1000) then a aftermarket or custom cam ($150-$300) wiring harness and computer ($200-$250) then there's the throttle body ($200) mass-air ($200) injectors ($150-$200 used) a t-5 and clutch (probably atleast $700) and this is not even counting all the misc gaskets and bolts etc that you will need. And this motor will not be a mid 300rwhp motor, you would have to up the compression or up the dissplacement to do that and there's a good chunk of change. If you want to stay n/a you can modify your intake and get some SHM cams pretty cheap and with a tune you would be close to 340rwhp, and if you want more do a cheap rebuild with stock rods, high comp pistons.

Jonathan is right Scott. Even if staying N/A you would be surprised at how much the conversion would cost even if buying a running stock 5.0. You can use my car as example

Before the rebuild:

Heads, necessary gaskets, rocker arms, fluids, and head bolts.......$1800
Cam swap, necessary gaskets, timing chain............$400 minimum.

All of this included the re-use of OEM cobra intake, OEM cobra t/body, and OEM cobra MAF, which are parts you would want to modify on stock 5.0 engine when changing heads and cam.

That had me at 295 rwhp.

Of course then you can remember that you have to buy new headers and midpipe.

If its something that you just want to do, then do it. Don't do it thinking you will go into it a lot cheaper than building your 4.6 or because you don't think that your car is going to be worth anything since it has been hit. Any blemish can be fixed when the time comes for a full on restore.

Oh and don't think that a pushrod rebuild is cheaper than a 4.6. You really don't want to know where i am at cost wise on my rebuild of the cobra. Jonathan's shortblock rebuild and mine were about the same (actually mine was more) and he PAID somebody to put is together. Only thing farmed out was my machine work. Brian and I have done all the assembly.
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 06:00 PM   #23
Scothew
Censored Jihad

Send a message via AIM to Scothew Send a message via MSN to Scothew

I understand where you are coming from guys. And its defintely weighing on me. One reason I want to do this is because my car is acctually running at the moment. Which means I can put money back and work on it a little at a time. For some things I may look to buy used (i.e intake, injectors etc) to save some money.

I really do want to convert it to a pushrod if for nothing more than I've always wanted to do some cool conversion that no one else has done. I dont know of any other 331 mystics

.... Practice.
Scothew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 06:04 PM   #24
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Pushrods Rule ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scothew
I really do want to convert it to a pushrod . . .
Looks like we have a mod-motor guy finally realizing the superiority of pushrod motors.

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 07:42 PM   #25
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Re: Pushrods Rule ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian LX
Looks like we have a mod-motor guy finally realizing the superiority of pushrod motors.

03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:28 PM   #26
joker
Friends

Quote:
I understand where you are coming from guys. And its defintely weighing on me. One reason I want to do this is because my car is acctually running at the moment. Which means I can put money back and work on it a little at a time. For some things I may look to buy used (i.e intake, injectors etc) to save some money.

I really do want to convert it to a pushrod if for nothing more than I've always wanted to do some cool conversion that no one else has done. I dont know of any other 331 mystics
I think it sounds awesome man. Who gives a crap about the whole pushrod vs mod motor thing. It all about having a good running car that you enjoy. You probably wont max out the possibilities in either platform., so go with what you like. Both are very respectable motors, just different in where they make thier power and torque.
joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:40 PM   #27
Craig K.
Nothing new here

Scott,
Have you looked around for a 94-95 Cobra, perhaps you could sell yours for what one of those would cost you. I bought mine for $7250, I would think that you could get that for your car.

If you do deciede on doing a swap to a push rod, then why not do a 351 based engine? You could have the only Mystic 393 or 428 around, plus you could easily get mid 300's to the wheels and have a very drivable car.
2011 KIA Optima GTS
Craig K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 10:08 PM   #28
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig K.
If you do deciede on doing a swap to a push rod, then why not do a 351 based engine? You could have the only Mystic 393 or 428 around, plus you could easily get mid 300's to the wheels and have a very drivable car.
If you go with the swap, I would agree with the 351 based motor. Mainly since you will have to replace everything anyway; you may as well get a beefier block in the process.

However, like Jonathan mentioned earlier, it's not going to be cheap (either way). So far, I figure it's going to cost me around $6,000 to do the 427 in the coupe after it's all said and done.

'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Old 02-17-2005, 01:45 AM   #29
Scothew
Censored Jihad

Send a message via AIM to Scothew Send a message via MSN to Scothew

I had thought about a 351 but I dont know enough about them yet to really pursue it. I assume most of the same heads/intake modifications I can do on a 302 would apply to a 351. My question is, will it be able to be stuffed under my stock hood or Will I have to run a '95 R?

.... Practice.
Scothew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 05:02 AM   #30
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
I had thought about a 351 but I dont know enough about them yet to really pursue it. I assume most of the same heads/intake modifications I can do on a 302 would apply to a 351.
A majority of the differences revolve around the deck height, so it's pretty easy to learn what needs to change between the two.

Quote:
My question is, will it be able to be stuffed under my stock hood or Will I have to run a '95 R?
Since you will need to buy new motor mounts anyways, you can purchase some mounts that drop the motor down a bit. This may get you down below the stock hood, but I can't be sure.

'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring