StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2006, 05:45 PM   #11
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Re: To carb or not to carb ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebad12
I just went from EFI to carb becouse I thought it would be cheaper, I was wrong. After you buy a good carb and ignition fuel pump intake and plumbing it I spent alota money. So carb is not as cheap as some think. You could convert cheaper then I did, but buying cheaper stuff will hurt in the long run.
exactly. a good carb and intake is going to be well over $500 if buying new. You will have to get a mechanical pump and depending on whether it is a late model car or not, you will have to buy a pickup to put in the tank which is also pricey depending on what you buy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:46 PM   #12
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickd GT
You all can kiss my ass, mine is carb and properly tuned you can drive it anywhere, I know I do now that the carb is tuned right, it is fun when you open them 4 barrels and smoke the tire about 50ft, he,he, LOL

Edgar

At least I know you read other parts of the forum now
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:49 PM   #13
1sicklx
BamaMafia 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE
exactly. a good carb and intake is going to be well over $500 if buying new. You will have to get a mechanical pump and depending on whether it is a late model car or not, you will have to buy a pickup to put in the tank which is also pricey depending on what you buy
That's still a lot cheaper than all of the EFI components.
1sicklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:00 PM   #14
qkjuicedpony

used efi parts are your friend.buy them and use them.ive had all of them.l
Old 05-17-2006, 08:23 PM   #15
uvbnhad
Friends

You know my opinion. I think of the carb as like a VCR. Even though a lot of people still have them and use them, ultimately they are a dead technology. If you want precision tunability -and what you might equate with safety- the efi system is the way to go.
uvbnhad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:55 AM   #16
1Quik85GT

Go carb, its easier to tune, cheaper and make more HP... With EFI, hell you make a cam change you have to buy a chip, to get it tuned right..and that can be 200.00 or more. you can go carb easily for under 500.00....
1Quik85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:09 AM   #17
TheJeanyus
Administrator

I don't think there is anything wrong with a carb on a "toy" car. You lose some part throttle efficiency, but that's not what toy cars are for. If I ever build a motor for my '79 Capri, it will most likely be a carbed setup.
TheJeanyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:40 AM   #18
onebad12

What all the EFI guys are forgetting is, if you have a heavily modified car it is very costly to properly tune the stock ECU. I had a 355 with TFS Hi Ports and big cam that was EFI and it was killing me and my bank account to try to tune it. They make software to somewhat tune it but very costly. Atleast with a carb you can tweak it with a screw driver. Dont get me wrong, there is no doubt EFI is better for a daily driver but a carb for a toy.
onebad12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:21 PM   #19
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebad12
What all the EFI guys are forgetting is, if you have a heavily modified car it is very costly to properly tune the stock ECU. I had a 355 with TFS Hi Ports and big cam that was EFI and it was killing me and my bank account to try to tune it. They make software to somewhat tune it but very costly. Atleast with a carb you can tweak it with a screw driver. Dont get me wrong, there is no doubt EFI is better for a daily driver but a carb for a toy.
I feel that it's a lot easier to tune with a laptop than with a screwdriver. :P
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:51 PM   #20
1sicklx
BamaMafia 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian LX
I feel that it's a lot easier to tune with a laptop than with a screwdriver. :P
True .. but again .. that laptop is a lot more expensive than the screwdriver isn't it? :d

My thought is .. if you have fuel, air, and a spark, it'll run. So what are the real benefits in buying all of the EFI parts and tools needed to tune it when I can have it at a fraction of the cost?

I don't mean to seem pig-headed but what benefit am I really going to gain by going EFI other than spending considerably more money on parts and software to tune it?

This like most things in life comes down to the old "bang for the buck" theory and I'm just looking for the metaphorical "bang" that's going to justify my bucks.
1sicklx is offline   Reply With Quote