StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 01:04 PM   #1
joker
Friends

Anyone try Centerforce clutches?

I am planning on going ahead and picking up a clutch kit since my car has like 140k miles, and I figure I am on borrowed time with my driving style. I believe it is an 11" clutch. I know spec and centerforce both make clutches for my car, but wasnt sure about any other clutch companies. I dont really want another spec clutch, but I guess I will have to if the centerforce stuff is crappy.
joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 01:05 PM   #2
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Re: Anyone try Centerforce clutches?

I am pleased with my centerforce dual friction. The lightest pedal feel I have ever had in a performance car.
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 01:07 PM   #3
joker
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE
I am pleased with my centerforce dual friction. The lightest pedal feel I have ever had in a performance car.
If you dont mind me asking, how long has it been installed. Heaviness of the clutch isnt near as much of a problem in a hydraulic clutch, at least the ones I have driven (05 gt, and the supercoupe) seemed alot lighter than the mustang cable type clutches.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:35 PM   #4
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

I put mine in when the motor went in. I have around 2500 miles and 15 slick launches
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
Old 08-17-2005, 01:45 PM   #5
Disney Lincoln

I would recommend a SPEC of a Centerforce. I haev had a lot of bad luck out of CF clutches. Granted, I do drive "spirited" a lot. I have had OK luck with the Centerforce Gold series though.

If it's my car, I would probabyl go with a McLeod setup. Or a custom set from Walt at Pro-Motion in FL.

I haev a RAM in my car now. It works very good, but has an incredibly high pedal effort. Some of that now is the cable since the hard pedal has worn through the inner liner.

Seems you cant go wrong with a SPEC anymore too. I had it out for them pretty bad, but after working on a few cars with good working SPEC"s I am warming back up to them. The last one I used was two years ago. It was JUNK! I haev had 2 other SPEC's that were complete unblanaced JUNK. The part that pissed me off the most about the unbalanced ones were that they would blame it on me or my parts. I would pull out a perfectly smooth clutch for a SPEC and it would vibrate like you threw off the ring from your balancer. Send it back (after a BUNCH of bickering) and they sent me another that was smooth. This scenerio happened TWICE, years ago though.
Disney Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 01:52 PM   #6
joker
Friends

I tried to look, but mcleod doesnt seem to make one for my car, or at least I didnt see it listed in thier online catalog.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:08 PM   #7
Disney Lincoln

What car?
Disney Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 02:21 PM   #8
joker
Friends

supercoupe, uses a 11" disk, not sure on the spline count.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:04 PM   #9
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Lincoln
The last one I used was two years ago. It was JUNK! I haev had 2 other SPEC's that were complete unblanaced JUNK. The part that pissed me off the most about the unbalanced ones were that they would blame it on me or my parts. I would pull out a perfectly smooth clutch for a SPEC and it would vibrate like you threw off the ring from your balancer. Send it back (after a BUNCH of bickering) and they sent me another that was smooth. This scenerio happened TWICE, years ago though.
We have a member here who run into that during the same time frame. We also have a member here who works for Spec and has tried his damn'dst to get me to run one in my 93 cobra. Unless the CF goes to shit within the next 10-20k miles, it probably wont happen.

I have a stage 1 Spec in my 88 GT. It was in the car before I got it. Seems to grip well but the damn pedal feel is heavier than a 70 model 4-speed Ford truck. Last time I drove it, I thought I was going to have to use both feet to press the damn thing. So i doubt I will ever install one in a daily driver car.
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
Old 08-17-2005, 03:08 PM   #10
slvrbullit
Super Moderator

I ahve never had experience with centerforce, but that would have been my next choice over the SPEC 3 i have in the stang. I have used RAM clutches before as well and was pleased with them in my 82 GT I used to have.

I will never buy another FRPP clutch with the problems that we have had in the cobra with it.

2000 Ford F-350 Dually Lariat LE Crew Cab Short Box
7.3 auto 168,000 miles
slvrbullit is offline   Reply With Quote