StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2006, 04:05 PM   #1
04 Mach1
Bet I red light B4U

Send a message via AIM to 04 Mach1
thrust bearing?

Ok back in the fall I went to a C4 set up and changed a few other things. since then I have had to pull the motor twice and both times the thrust bearing had eating into my crank. What the hell. The first time I figured it was the convertor ballooning up and killing it. This time I aint got a clue. As far as I no there has not been any ballooning of the convertor damn the thing won't run long enough to balloon it. When I put it back together last time I had the crank fix and mains line bored. Something is causing my crank to walk. I have ARP main studs. Could it be the mains aren't staying put. Do I need a main girdle? I never had a problem with the mains when the tremec was behind it..Anyone got any ideas.
04 Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 04:36 PM   #2
Wickd GT
Friends

Re: thrust bearing?

What crank is in the car right now. Brand. Eagle, Spec Cat, etc and is it cast steel. I'm going to tell you what happen to mine. The back of the cranck were the converter lines up with the crank, you know were the pilot bearing use to be when you had the manual tranny, you did take that out right? Anyway, some cranks are shallow inside were the pilot bearing use to be, that is were the converter pilot goes in, if it is to shallo, not deep enough is going to push the crack foward even if it is not ballooning. Is constantly pushing the crank, no end play. You need to mock the converter pilot, with som kind of a chalk and without bolting the converter to the crank just lay it there and spin it pushing foward and pull the converter out, see if any of the chalk mark is inside the crank and the outside of the edges of the carnk and the converter. If so, take the crank to the machine shop, have them measure how deep it is at the back of the cranck, I mean the lip imidiatley from the edge of the crank not all the way to the end. You'll find that the stock crank is about .500" deep compare to an after market crank. If it checks out, the converter pilot is to long and it is pushing the crank, have the machine shop sand down about .060" with a sand belt.

Edgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 Mach1
Ok back in the fall I went to a C4 set up and changed a few other things. since then I have had to pull the motor twice and both times the thrust bearing had eating into my crank. What the hell. The first time I figured it was the convertor ballooning up and killing it. This time I aint got a clue. As far as I no there has not been any ballooning of the convertor damn the thing won't run long enough to balloon it. When I put it back together last time I had the crank fix and mains line bored. Something is causing my crank to walk. I have ARP main studs. Could it be the mains aren't staying put. Do I need a main girdle? I never had a problem with the mains when the tremec was behind it..Anyone got any ideas.
Wickd GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 05:18 PM   #3
04 Mach1
Bet I red light B4U

Its a forged eagle crank. That does make sense I'll be sure to chck that before it goes to the machine shop
Old 02-12-2006, 05:15 AM   #4
Blown 5.0

To munch transmission end play will cause the same problem. Seen C4S take out motors in less than 200 miles
Old 02-12-2006, 06:26 AM   #5
Wickd GT
Friends

True!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown 5.0
To munch transmission end play will cause the same problem. Seen C4S take out motors in less than 200 miles
Wickd GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:47 AM   #6
04 Mach1
Bet I red light B4U

Ya I had a PTC trans that gave me alot of problems I thing that is where it all began. I now have an art carr. I guess I'll get the crank fixed again and put it together and go from there.