StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2008, 05:53 PM   #1
Wickd GT
Friends

Cooling issues...

You guys can not believe the work I have done to this car. No matter what I did to the cooling system it keeps pushing air and water to the catch can. Well thought I had it fix and yesterday big puddle of antifreeze. Well Heater core is gone, so I by pass it. We drove it around but still air bubbles on the catch can. We pressurized it, it hold, we pressurized with the motor on, to see if it was pushing compression, nothing! Well, I told Cheo go ahead and use it but don't stump on it to see if it bleeds off, NOT damn thing started to leak at the bottom hose at the radiator. Change the hose, but I notice once the car cool off it started to leak, so I pulled the radiator, crack at the bottom, it will only show leak when cooling down. So I got a 3 core radiator from Advance Auto, put it together today, and guess what, it leaked at the same place!!! Now I was real mad, ready to put a match to it. So put the old water hose on it with a different hose clamp, fire up and no leaks so far, but still pushing air into the catch can, so I told Cheo drive around and come back to see if it will leak, so far so good. He call me and told me that he did not see any leaks. So lets see what happens, we can't stump on it because the catch can gets almost full, so maybe it needs to bleed off? how long this takes? I just started to take mine apart, hopefully have it out tomorrow.

Edgar
Wickd GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:05 PM   #2
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Did you try the radiator flush kit like I told you on the phone?

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:16 PM   #3
Craig K.
Nothing new here

Can you run it with the radiator cap off until it gets hot enough to have the thermostat open?
Is there a temp sensor or something on top of the motor that you could crack open when hot to try and bleed off any air?
2011 KIA Optima GTS
Craig K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:42 PM   #4
BAD INT

thermostat sticking and making to much back pressure? better flush the system asap and change thermostat for safe measure.If after all that it still does it you got a weaping headgasket try a retorque and moroso ceramic engines seal and follow directions to a T
BAD INT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:50 PM   #5
04 Mach1
Bet I red light B4U

Send a message via AIM to 04 Mach1
Maybe the cap??
89 gt 2.3 stroked holley head with n12n port high flow intake with great big fart can skunk 2 seat belts with kool glow water squirters and new light up shift knob basically everything from wal-mart art carr C4 10.53@127.3 w/ 1.53 60'

89 gt vert 347 eldebrock heads and intake AOD w/3000 stall unknown with 5spd went 12.7 on steet tires

04 Mach1 automatic flowmaster K+N drop in 13.9
04 Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:25 PM   #6
1Quik85GT

the thermostat is sticking buddy!!!!
1Quik85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:56 AM   #7
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

He already changed the T-stat.

'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Old 01-02-2008, 06:24 AM   #8
Wickd GT
Friends

Change thermostat, bottom and upper hose, thermostat housing. We put this tool in the radiator to see if head gasket is leaking, whit the motor on it will read if compression is going through the cooling system. Brian, how do you the flushing thing again? Thanks:

Edgar
Wickd GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:43 AM   #9
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickd GT View Post
Brian, how do you the flushing thing again?
Just buy the Prestone flush kit (they're only like $5.00) and about a 24" piece of heater hose. You won't be able to install the T-fitting like the instructions tell you because of the short hoses at the heater core on the 5.0L motor. The way I do it is to install the T-fitting at the front of the motor temporarily using an extra piece of heater hose and then just remove the stuff when I'm done flushing.

To do this you only need to disconnect one side of the hose that goes from the hard-line on the intake to the water pump and then use the T-fitting from the kit and the piece of heater hose to complete the coolant path. Remove the radiator cap, hook up a garden hose to the T-fitting, turn-on the water supply, and crank the car up. I let it run for at least 5 minutes. When you're done, cut the car off, turn the water off and remove the T-fitting and extra hose -- make sure you reattaching the stock hose as quickly as possible so you don't introduce any air into the system.

Verify that the radiator is topped off and reinstall the radiator cap. Your system should now be free of all air pockets.

Put the flush kit away and save it for the next time you need it.

'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Old 01-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #10
asilver2001gt
Dr Rob

Send a message via AIM to asilver2001gt
are you sure the overflow tank isn't cracked...mine had a crack in it and I looked everywhere for it...it was such a small crack and such a slow leak that I was unable to notice it until I pulled it off

2006 Trailblazer SS:
TrickFlow 215's
Comp Cam 591/598
Fast 102
FLT Level VI

The DD
asilver2001gt is offline   Reply With Quote