StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2006, 12:26 PM   #11
natedawgg94

Re: 1992 5.0 build up

your stock block with a good turbo setup should put you close to where you wanna be just look at the guys on the turbo forums. that setup is way more reliable in my opinion than a supercharger.

1994 Cobra Pace Car #365 of 1000 light mods

1994 mustang GT 3.55's, 331 stroker, 75mm tb, 75mm maf, mac h pipe SOLD (ole yella u will be missed ((>>.

Rubbing Is Racing
natedawgg94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:06 PM   #12
TheJeanyus
Administrator

I don't think a turbo setup is any more reliable. It IS more efficient, but it's also a lot more expensive.
TheJeanyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 02:36 PM   #13
coupe
Super Moderator

I recommend a 331 or 347 shortblock ($2500), a Holley or Trick-Flow top-end kit ($2200), and a Vortech S-trim ($2500?). That will be a killer setup. It's expensive, but sweet and a proven combo. Should easily do 450-500 at the tires...safely...all-day long.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:39 PM   #14
1sicklx
BamaMafia 4 Life

but I might be swayed to go with a different power adder.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:21 PM   #15
Robocop

I appreciate all the comments however there are so many new things on the market now that it is very confusing. When I bought this car new supercharged street versions were very rare and only a select few had 400 hp on the streets. Most guys started with exhaust and pullies and other simple mods. A few used nitrous and everyone was happy with the mild improvements. I am blown away now when looking at the street set ups and all these new products.
The GT-40 intake was really all that was available for the first few years and again only a few people actually had one. To me it is just a pretty intake and I should have purchased one years past however was happy with simple mods back then.

I have read so many good things about Holly Systemax and do know it is a better intake in many ways...but man it is just not near as pretty to me. I know looks should not matter when it comes to power but I do like the car to look nice under the hood.

I plan to snap a few pics tonight just to show everyone what I have to work with. Then I am going to cruise the sale adds looking for some goodies.

I have been a past member on other forums about fords and have got some good info on them however I like this one a little better. I like that many members are local and thaat I feel a little more at home.

Got to run for now and will check back after work...
Robocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 05:58 PM   #16
Craig K.
Nothing new here

I know how you feel sometimes.
I got into the 5.0 liter scene back in about 1991 when I bought a 1985 GT, I wanted a carb because not to many people knew much about the injection stuff back then, and you could make a carb car go so much faster for much cheaper.

The guys here really know their stuff (most of them anyhow )and it is great to know local people who can give you a hand when needed.

If you are going to do heads, cam, and the full meal deal then the extra cost to step up to a 351 based motor really won't be that much more.

I would consider a stroker 351, like a 393 or 408, somewhat lower compression (around 9.0:1) so you could add low boost later if you wanted to, and atleast the 185 AFR heads. Then get a custom cam from someone such as Ed Curtis.
I would consider doing a create motor, and spend a little extra to have it blue printed and get a really goo balance job on it. This way it would be a create motor, but would have a little extra attenion paid to it.
As metioned above, get the best rods/pistons you can (maybe a lite weight piston) and I would recommend a fordge crank.
The crank would be more than you need now, but I think you will get close to your 450 hp goal, then later add boost, and you would be near 650 hp, then you would need a fordge crank.

Regadless, do the research and don't be afraid to post options up here.
Many of us have been doing the car hobby for years and are all willing to share from our experiences.
2011 KIA Optima GTS
Craig K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:48 PM   #17
coupe
Super Moderator

Well said.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:22 PM   #18
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

My opinion.

450 rwhp is a tall order for a n/a motor and it still be nice to drive on the street. I think a 9:1 compression 306 or 331 power adder car would fit your needs nicely. Good heads, custom ground cam for your combo, and a 12 psi blower or turbo would do great, maintain nice street manners, and be fun to drive.

GT-40 tubular intake is not a bad intake. If I can put over 500 to the ground with my OEM cobra intake and a procharged 306, you can do it with the tubular intake
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:52 PM   #19
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig K.
If you are going to do heads, cam, and the full meal deal then the extra cost to step up to a 351 based motor really won't be that much more.

I've got a budget worked out for the 427 stroker I'm working on and it is under $7000 and that's including things like flywheel, balancer, machine work, head work, headers, injectors, distributor and even a cowl hood -- basically, everything needed to swap over. That also includes a fully forged stoker kit, link bar lifters, Trickflow heads and intake, and custom cam. Granted, a couple of my budget prices are for used parts but most of it is new and it's all good stuff. The only thing it doesn't include is building the motor and installing it (which i will be doing myself).

The only things I'll be using from my current motor is the throttle body and MAF... and the nitrous kit of course.

From the motor alone, I'm looking to get around 425hp to the wheels... but I wouldn't be suprised if it got higher.

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:26 PM   #20
qkjuicedpony

with what you are looking for i would do the following.

306 with good pistons using your current block,crank and rods
AFR,Brodix,trick flow heads
Cam F303
Holley Systemax intake
Novi 2000 supercharger

this setup will provide you with a pump gas friendly 450-500 rwhp and be very fun to drive...it will also leave you enough money to do other things to the car as well since it has been down for a while.

as for smoothing and painting the engine bay......that is one hell of a job in itself