StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2006, 05:41 AM   #1
Hotrod

5th gear

The 5th gear in our t-5 (93 5.0)started whinning this year. It only whins when you're in the gas. Is that a problem with the throwout bearing or is it something deeper? BTW it only does it in 5th gear.
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:52 AM   #2
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Re: 5th gear

all the time or just at certain speeds?
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:03 AM   #3
SteedaChaos

Send a message via Yahoo to SteedaChaos

It whines when under a load right? Usually the gear's ready to go if it's whining or was put back together shimmed to tightly. The needle cage bearings could be bad, that's a rare possibility if the trans's fluid is maintained.

I've had 2nd gear whine and break on me but was because i threw one together since i had so many spare pieces laying around <mis-match 2nd gear to countershaft>.

I broken 2 5th gears but they didn't whine, they just submitted to WOT.

Old 03-08-2006, 07:07 AM   #4
SteedaChaos

Also it'll help to go ahead and change the fluid in it and see how bad the the metal shavings might be in there. Fresh clean ATF could help quieten it off and prolong it.

But best to do is have it looked at and actually see if the gear's or bearings are bad. If you have to keep driving though, shut it down right then and there if 5th breaks so you can save dmg'ing the rest of the trans.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:04 PM   #5
coupe
Super Moderator

Not a TOB. It's in the tranny, or maybe at a certain speed (which you are only attaining in 5th) a noise in the rear-end.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:33 PM   #6
Hotrod

The only time it whines is when you give it gas. When your in 5th but off the gas it doesnt whine. When I drove it to listen for the whine I was only doing 50-60 MPH. I just got up to enough speed to each 5th. As far as the transmission's construction goes as far as I know it hasnt been rebuilt. The fluid it in seems to be a gear oil of some kind. Ive got some GM Synchromesh to put in it. I was planning on taking the transmission out to look at it and the clutch but I dont know if I will be able to or not since our house needs some things replaced.
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 06:21 AM   #7
SteedaChaos

If it's thick as gear oil chances the bearings on 5th gear didn't recieve sufficient lube. Everything in the T-5 is small including the channels in the gears to feed fluid to the bearings. Thickest i went to quieten up my T-5's was a 2qt. ATF Dexron 3 w/ a 1/2 quart of 0w30 convt. motor oil.

As far as snythetics their tolerances are lil to loose to run that, some people will run it, but i wouldn't i used it once and had the whole trans whining, sounded like it was ready to gernade in any gear just by moving, i dropped that out and stayed conventional until i moved on to Tremecs 3650's