StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Chassis, Drivetrain, Suspension, Brakes & Tires
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 06:03 PM   #1
97cobrasvt
I got a good sugar moma

cutting springs

I am going to do some work on my rear end and was wanting to see witch end I needed to cut on the springs. I figure it is the end that goes to the body but was wanting to make sure. I can't get enough negative pinion angle so I am going to put my lower control arms backm in the stock location. But when I do it is going to sit like a 4 wheel drive so I am going to cut some of the spring off to compensate for the added heigth. Thanks for the help. Going to add the air bag at this time as well. Owe ya and the sway bar. Opinions on a good sway bar will be appreciated. Thanks Steven
Old 11-21-2007, 07:36 PM   #2
03slobra

My rear springs are cut on the body end.I have competition engineering sway bar but do not like it be cause it keeps coming loose on the end arms cause they bolt on the bar with a small bolt through it.I would check out the UPR one it looks to be welded on each end.Or it would be very easy to make one.Its all stuff you can probably get cheap just take a little time.
03slobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 09:15 AM   #3
qkjuicedpony
Dayuuuuuuum!!!!!

How much pinion angle are you trying to get out of it?

also what is your rear suspension setup?what uppers and lowers do you have,shocks too?

07 F350 dooly.....Tows my fifth wheel
qkjuicedpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:29 PM   #4
97cobrasvt
I got a good sugar moma

I am trying to get about -3 degrees. I have eld upper control arms they are adjustable.I have the lake wood tracktion bars and control arms. They are the kind you can adjust the pinion angle with by the location you install the lower control arms in meaning witch slot you install the bolt in. The bad thing is it gives you positive pinion angle not negative. So I am going to put the control arm in the stock location and cut the spring to get my ride heigth right. I am running lakewood 50/50 rear shocks.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:34 PM   #5
qkjuicedpony
Dayuuuuuuum!!!!!

yes.put the arms back in the stock location.use the rightupper control arm to get the pinion angle you need.then use the left upper arm to make sure the rearend is centered in the car.if you are putting airbags in i would do two of them...however i strongly suggest you get an anti roll bar too...then you can scrap the airbags and the factory sway bar

Old 11-24-2007, 01:05 AM   #6
97cobrasvt
I got a good sugar moma

Quote:
Originally Posted by qkjuicedpony View Post
yes.put the arms back in the stock location.use the rightupper control arm to get the pinion angle you need.then use the left upper arm to make sure the rearend is centered in the car.if you are putting airbags in i would do two of them...however i strongly suggest you get an anti roll bar too...then you can scrap the airbags and the factory sway bar

I am not useng a sway bar at all right now. Looking to buy a good sway bar right now.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:56 AM   #7
qkjuicedpony
Dayuuuuuuum!!!!!

I have an anti roll bar for sale.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:41 AM   #8
coupe
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by qkjuicedpony
use the rightupper control arm to get the pinion angle you need....then use the left upper arm to make sure the rearend is centered in the car.
What are you talking about Brian? Maybe I am misunderstanding what you're trying to communicate. The upper control arms should be the same length, not skewed. The lowers will set your axle location. The uppers will give your angle. But they all work hand-in-hand so adjustments also go hand-in-hand. Squaring them all up to the car is critical.

Steven...look at TeamZ. It's a nice anti-roll bar. Check out Baseline Suspension for any tech questions. Kevin (Baseline) explains alot of what you're trying to get set up.

I'd cut a half-coil out of the spring and see what it does. Remember it's easier to cut more than to have to start over because too much was cut.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:17 AM   #9
qkjuicedpony
Dayuuuuuuum!!!!!

If you put all your arms to the same length...the rearend will not sit square in a mustang....it isnt a big adjustment it is very minor.

that is if you want your car to go straight....

Old 11-25-2007, 09:18 AM   #10
qkjuicedpony
Dayuuuuuuum!!!!!

also make sure you have solid bushings in the rearend too.dont put any of that polyurethane crap in there