StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Chassis, Drivetrain, Suspension, Brakes & Tires
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2007, 05:21 AM   #11
Wickd GT
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96GTS View Post
It's 430, go to bed loser!!

I was definitely impressed w/ it. A guy I used to race with had an SW in his 03 GT. You could fit your fist b/t the A piller and the bar and the upper bars were 2+" from the headliner. They are cheap and I was gonna go w/ them until I saw that...

I'm going to disagree with you on that. S&W has a good cage, they come a bit longer so it can be trim to fit the way you want. Mine I fitted then measure how much I'll cut then fitted it again, then weld it were I wanted, matter of fact you have to look for the top of the cage, and I still can take my T Tops off. Just had it recertify and the inspector complimented on it.

Edgar
Wickd GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:27 AM   #12
coupe
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE
Chrome Moly is only good for 3 nhra certifications

Where'd you find this at?

I second the "Wolfe" stuff btw.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:35 PM   #13
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
Where'd you find this at?

I second the "Wolfe" stuff btw.
Either Edgar or Rob found this out when checking on cage work
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 01:10 PM   #14
96GTS
Mine's bigger...

Send a message via AIM to 96GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickd GT View Post
I'm going to disagree with you on that. S&W has a good cage, they come a bit longer so it can be trim to fit the way you want. Mine I fitted then measure how much I'll cut then fitted it again, then weld it were I wanted, matter of fact you have to look for the top of the cage, and I still can take my T Tops off. Just had it recertify and the inspector complimented on it.

Edgar
hmmm...maybe they use the fox cage for the 94+...?? The inside of a fox is smaller and that would explain why yours fit tight and on an 03, it was horrible. All I've seen of SW is that cage and a roll bar (6pt) in a 99 Cobra, and that was just as bad.......
Old 02-13-2007, 01:11 PM   #15
96GTS
Mine's bigger...

Also, my buddy at work races super comp gas (or something like that....its a chebby). Its an open top roadster style car and has had his 'moly cage since the early 90s. He just got it recertified last month.???
Old 02-13-2007, 02:26 PM   #16
coupe
Super Moderator

Quote:
Cage certifications and Chrome Moly...
Chrome Moly does not expire on its certifications...Pat Cvengros at NHRA confirmed this.

Chrome Moly alloy is better in every instance over it's mild-steel alternative. It does not weaken with age, nor will it embrittle. It can be made with a thinner wall tube than mild steel, thus a substantial weight savings over the entire cage assembly.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:33 PM   #17
96GTS
Mine's bigger...

Quote:
Chrome Moly does not expire on its certifications...Pat Cvengros at NHRA confirmed this.

Chrome Moly alloy is better in every instance over it's mild-steel alternative. It does not weaken with age, nor will it embrittle. It can be made with a thinner wall tube than mild steel, thus a substantial weight savings over the entire cage assembly.
Its the opposite. 'moly DOES get brittle. And it is weakened after welding. If it was possible to heat treat the entire cage after welding, it would be stronger, but in an impact 'moly will crack/break whereas MS will bend. Making up for a couple pounds of MS is just a jet change away IMO.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:42 PM   #18
coupe
Super Moderator

Chrome moly (4130) is .30 percent Carbon which is still considered a low to medium carbon alloy. Carbon is the main ingredient that causes brittleness, but really only becomes a factor above, say .50 (that's 1/2) percent. Although I'm not sure of carbon equivalency value, I still have never seen issues with it for weldability. It's very durable, even on impact. I think there are some misconceptions about chrome moly.

Last edited by coupe; 02-13-2007 at 03:45 PM.
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:49 PM   #19
96GTS
Mine's bigger...

Quote:
Chrome moly (4130) is .30 percent Carbon which is still considered a low to medium carbon alloy. Carbon is the main ingredient that causes brittleness, but really only becomes a factor above, say .50 (that's 1/2) percent. Although I'm not sure of carbon equivalency value, I still have never seen issues with it for weldability. It's very durable, even on impact. I think there are some misconceptions about chrome moly.
I'm going off what my buddy who did my cage told me. He's been welding since the 70s and welds aluminum/titanium/magnesium/and other cool stuff all day at work at Boeing aerospace. I trust his knowledge of the metals over a standard chassis shop guy personally
Old 02-13-2007, 04:20 PM   #20
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96GTS View Post
Its the opposite. 'moly DOES get brittle. And it is weakened after welding. If it was possible to heat treat the entire cage after welding, it would be stronger, but in an impact 'moly will crack/break whereas MS will bend. Making up for a couple pounds of MS is just a jet change away IMO.
Remember where I heard it now.

The guy that installed Edgar's minitubs is the one that stated chromemoly cages expire after the 3rd recert. He also mentioned that there is not enough weight savings to pick chrome moly over mild steel to justify the cost.

Also, I thought fox body cars had more room in the interior compared to any 94-up stang
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote