StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Project Cars
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2011, 10:25 AM   #131
ncontt
pro-jackstand racer

Send a message via AIM to ncontt Send a message via Yahoo to ncontt
flexplate arrived today and I'll probably tackle that in a few after I get some chemicals for the pool (SOB!!) and grab a bite to eat!!! Can't wait to get this SOB rollin' ya heard?
Old 06-17-2011, 10:45 AM   #132
CrazyInBlack
Crusin...

This is a cool build - I want to see it run
Liberal education has nothing to do with liberal or conservative politics. Liberal education is the simple idea of a broad and well-rounded course of study in the humanities, social sciences, sciences, and the arts. The overarching goal is to liberate the mind from ignorance and superstition.
CrazyInBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:37 PM   #133
ncontt
pro-jackstand racer

haha, that makes two of us! It isn't pretty on the outside....and actually not that pretty on the inside...but dammit it better be fast!!!! LOL. SOB I wish it wasn't so hot out there...just trying to find the motivation to do something on it since my "tent/gazebo" got twisted up like a freaking pretzel the other night in that bada$$ wind/rain storm we had(happy birthday to me....:arg: ) and I'm tired of sweating like a freaking pig 16 hours a day...

<----quit yer bitchin' and just go work on the car!!!
Old 07-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #134
ncontt
pro-jackstand racer

Converter came back from PTC sometime this past week while I was on the RedneckRiveria.....so hopefully I can get all/most of my yards caught up so I can get this thing back together and get it tuned (wishes he could tune it himself, w/o burning up the motor or worse)....
Old 08-07-2011, 02:13 AM   #135
ncontt
pro-jackstand racer

still waiting on some trans parts to come in....decided to switch the guts out to 4R70W stuff while it was down (having a bastard of a time with that old 35 spline one pc. input shaft, so i ordered a new 31 spline one waiting on converter to come back from PTC...again.

BTW, anyone know of a good driveshaft shop in the ATL area that can either make me one for the fairmont, or can take this "too long" Aluminum one I got from the JY out of a Aerostar.......prolly would want to put some new joints on it and have it shortened (bout 10 inches too long....first time for everything!)

Thanks.
Brad
Old 08-08-2011, 05:34 PM   #136
RedSuperRanger23
Gizmo

FRPP used to have a "Wide Ratio" kit for the AOD that was pretty much the 4r70W guts that went right into the AOD. I helped build one of those once and also put in a Lentech valvebody and wired an OD off switch in a 91 or 92 GT.
04 Crown Vic
RedSuperRanger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #137
ncontt
pro-jackstand racer

ya, the stuff I got was the Mechanical Diode kit, which uses the stamped steel drum for the intermediate clutches (I think....) as opposed to the Cast version, and also added some extra clutches/steels, 2inch OD band, and a new 300M (hardened) 31 spline input shaft, billet A++ servo, and a few other goodies...

Ya, mine's got the Art Carr/Lentech valvebody with transbrake and O/D both on switches...
Old 08-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #138
RedSuperRanger23
Gizmo

the one we built also had the JW Kevlar band and small rebuild kit in it... not sure about the diodes and servos and such as it's been 8-9 years ago. I do know this, I drove it home for the guy and it just happened to be raining at the time so I couldn't get into it (I think it was pre-Kenne Bell install) but when it shifter from 1st to 2nd I....
04 Crown Vic
RedSuperRanger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #139
ncontt
pro-jackstand racer

^^^^^^^^^^
Old 08-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #140
ncontt
pro-jackstand racer

well, small update:

Parts that have arrived:
Innovate LC-1
Moates Quarterhorse
Mechanical Diode kit for trans
A++ Billet servo for trans
300M One PC. input shaft for trans
2" Kevlar O.D. band for trans

Parts on the way:
"cheapie" laptop to tune/datalog with
10" Non L/U converter from PTC (31spline)

Holy crap I just realized that's around $1100 MORE worth of crap going in/on a 1979 Fairmont.... what's wrong with this picture? LOL

SOOOOOOO,
Spoke with Lane @ PTC yesterday and my converter is "supposed" to be back to me AGAIN by the end of next week. The reason I sent it back a couple of weeks ago was we had trans together and installed and we were trying to get the converter and the flexplate lined up and when we'd spin the motor over the converter would turn too.... I/we thought "maybe there's just too much paint on the snout of the converter and it's sticking in the back of the crank...." , so we drop the trans..again, take converter out, sand it down, grease it and back of crank up, REINSTALL trans, converter was almost perfectly lined up this time, so we got it bolted up. I went to turn the trans and it would spin around a little ways and then "CLUNK" it would hit something....spin it back the other direction, spin for a bit (not all the way around mind you) and then "CLUNK"......

Took the trans out, took it almost completely apart to find that when I took it apart BEFORE, I had reinstalled the govenor on backwards :nutkick: SO got that squared away and decided I'd had it with screwing around with the 35 spline input shaft and converter combo and bought the new shaft and sent the converter back to be changed over to a 31 spline. The 35 spline shaft just was not letting the converter seat far enough into the trans, that's why we were having problems with it being up too tight to the flexplate....so hopefully I've put that issue to bed. I am SOOOO freakin' ready to get this POS ridin' dirty I can't even stand it. It sure looks like Bowling Green will be a wash this year too, I don't see me having this thing tuned by myself with the moates by the end of Sept......but who knows....

All the news that's fit to print