StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Project Cars
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2011, 10:48 PM   #151
ncontt
pro-jackstand racer

Send a message via AIM to ncontt Send a message via Yahoo to ncontt
FINALLY got trans in...again for like the 10th time... AND, I think I may have found out why my trans was FUBAR'd in the first place....the wrong freaking flexplate!

We went to put trans in today with the Scat SFI 164tooth 28oz flexplate on there...brand new, got it in and went to turn it...freakin converter is TIGHT up against the flexplate!!! :wall: so I get pissed...and try to figure out wtf the deal is, can only be one of a few things.

I drop the trans AGAIN, take out the flexplate and head to Summit racing....dude at the counter says they got a PA Perf. flexplate for $126 and some change...I tell him to have them pull it so I can see if there is any difference in that one and the Scat one I got...while I'm waiting for them to pull it, I wander by their scratch/dent sale tables and Lo and behold I see a SBF flexplate for sale(PA Perf.)...I try to see the differences but I can't tell right off...so I got to the pickup counter and check out the NEW one (PA Perf.)....I tell dude to hold on, run get the other one on the clearance table and look at it...SAME ONE!!!! best part it's only $60.

I figure I take it home try it, if it doesnt' work I can sell it for at least what I got in it...

Long story...well, long, it ended up working!!!!! :cheers: I bolted everything up and now I can spin the converter while trans is hooked to engine!!! Now it's just a matter of getting everything else buttoned up, doing the free-air calibration on the LC-1 wideband, and then start the tuning!!! I'm SUPER pumped, it's been SOOO long working on this thing...and I can't wait to get it going!

On a side note, I have a feeling that is why my trans was fubar'd the "last time" (wrong flexplate)....
Old 09-12-2011, 11:16 PM   #152
rtusnake
Halfshaft Killer

Man that really sucks. Glad you finally figured it out. All down hill from here
(='.'=)
(")_(")
rtusnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:07 AM   #153
ncontt
pro-jackstand racer

oh ya, this thing has been crazy to say the least!!! It's a matter of principle at this point! I don't care if I have to spend $100K on this POS Fairmont....it's GOING TO RUN!!! HAHA, I may be on my deathbed by the time that happens...but by GOD it's going to happen! lol...
Old 09-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #154
ncontt
pro-jackstand racer

Got everything buttoned up today....got LC1 hooked up...did free air calibration, got it sandwiched in the down pipe (super tight with headers right there by it), took me a minute to figure out how to load the tune/tunes to the QH but I finally got that straight....fired it up and by GOD it started and actually RAN!!! In the meantime while it was running I was trying to figure out how to datalog (probably not the time to start trying to figure that out..LOL) at any rate, I noticed the water temp creeping up, turns out the elec. fan was not coming on...(flexalite fan controller, later I checked and it's getting power and the fuse was NOT burnt...) anyway, I went to start it up again and NO DICE....It won't start, not sure wth is up with that. I'll have to check it out tomorrow....

Sidenote: Took my Aluminum DS I got at the JY out of a Aerostar van to Atlanta Driveline Service, they're going to cut it down and reweld it, high speed balance it and install new Spicer u-joints in it and get me squared away...all for LESS than $130 out the door....pretty I thought! Oh and it will be ready in the AM!!!
Old 09-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #155
ncontt
pro-jackstand racer

all in all, I was just glad it actually RAN!!! LOL
Old 09-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #156
EHardy1971
Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncontt View Post
Eric, have you done one before (transmission that is?) I hadn't until my buddy helped "walk" me through it, the ATSG manual helps but some of the pics aren't that great. BTW, you can d/l a copy of the AOD one off of clickclickracing.com site, clickme

Let me know if you have any questions of what you need to get let me know, it's still fresh in my head....
Yeah, I've rebuilt a couple of AODE's, an AOD, and a few other auto trannys. I also have a few manuals (books that is). I have all the snap ring pliers and all that jazz as well.
06 TBSS
EHardy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:55 PM   #157
ncontt
pro-jackstand racer

if you build it make sure you get rid of that raggedyass "stock" snap ring in there for 2nd gear I think...and replace it with the double spiral one...
Old 06-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #158
ncontt
pro-jackstand racer

Well I've done a few things in the last 2 days....been killing me to see it just sitting there but I've been so busy with work and "trying" to maintain all my wife's families cars.

I had to take the fan off the fairmont to put on my 95 F150 that was running hot (also put a F250 radiator on it, best $$ spent on it so far), and also been robbing parts off it to keep my mountaineer running and some of the other Fords I've got running around here!

So in the last day I've replaced the bypass hose on the water pump, put a new electric fan on it (re done how it mounts on the radiator), re-clocked the MAF sensor, and may have found a HUGE unmetered air leak in my filter!!!

The filter (biggest one I could find that would fit) had a cut on the edge of the lip where it mounts on the turbo inlet that was at least an inch long!!!!! Hopefully when I fix this it will help with my idling issues (AFR and what was being commanded were not jiving!)

Also I dropped the trans pan thinking I didn't hook up one of the solenoids for either the Trans brake or for the O/D but both were hooked up, I then started up on redoing the wiring issues I've got with my gauge setup behind the "factory" plate that I got from the guys at Gaugeplates.com.

Probably going to run by Summit racing tomorrow after church and get the rest of the stuff I need to do the weather pack connectors (already had some done that way, but going to pimp it out now!!)
Old 09-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #159
ncontt
pro-jackstand racer

got it running today, a bunch of stuff screwed up...my huge bonehead move of the century was installing an IAT sensor.....drumroll please....into the.....you guessed it, ECT sensor location...LMAO!!! Ya, kick me in my ball$!!! No wonder it wasn't registering on my "dashboard" when I was datalogging today!

Here is a short video of it running, the idle is pretty good and actually it I had one of the injectors unplugged at the time...DOH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NyS3...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #160
ncontt
pro-jackstand racer

ya, don't mind that exhaust leak...I doubt I'm going to take the motor out to fix the leaking exhaust manifold bolt that you can barely see..lol