StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Interior, Sound, and Shine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 01:23 PM   #1
CrazyInBlack
Crusin...

Cool Stereo Guys - Free Air Subs?

I have been out of the stereo game for a long time but was wondering if they still make free air subs. A buddy of mine had some 6x9s made by Kicker and they bumped. Or if anyone else has ideas how to get bass from a 6x9 hole let me know. I am trying to keep my truck free so I can put other things in there
Liberal education has nothing to do with liberal or conservative politics. Liberal education is the simple idea of a broad and well-rounded course of study in the humanities, social sciences, sciences, and the arts. The overarching goal is to liberate the mind from ignorance and superstition.
CrazyInBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:14 PM   #2
Wall96cobra
ooooo cake!!!

To really make a free air sub work right you need to totally seal off the trunk compartment from the cabin/interior. I've done this before by cutting a board for the subs to mount on then secure it to back of the seat support structure. After all of the wires were ran I sealed all the holes/openings with fiberglass and spray foam for the harder to reach areas. Alot of people just mount free air speakers on a board and go with it but to make a speaker sound right the front and rear sound waves must be separated from each other unless of course you have a tuned port. It really does make a BIG difference if it's done right.
Wall96cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:27 PM   #3
CrazyInBlack
Crusin...

I was going to put them in the 6x9 holes
Liberal education has nothing to do with liberal or conservative politics. Liberal education is the simple idea of a broad and well-rounded course of study in the humanities, social sciences, sciences, and the arts. The overarching goal is to liberate the mind from ignorance and superstition.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:56 PM   #4
ncontt
pro-jackstand racer

Send a message via AIM to ncontt Send a message via Yahoo to ncontt
what are your sound goals?
Old 03-15-2007, 09:18 PM   #5
CrazyInBlack
Crusin...

general good sound, got some MB quarts 2 ways up front
Old 03-16-2007, 03:58 PM   #6
ncontt
pro-jackstand racer

Send a message via AIM to ncontt Send a message via Yahoo to ncontt
k, didn't know if you were looking for SPL or what...lol. I would just do a simple 10 in a small enclosure and put some decent 6x9's in for some "fill". I have the MB's up front in mine too, I think I may take the 2 10's out of the wife's civic and put my 1 12" SOLOBARIC in there instead, UNLESS I come across a deal on some of the new solobaric's.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:57 PM   #7
CrazyInBlack
Crusin...

I like the old round solo barics but I think the new ones do not sound as nice. I do have an old 12 and amp, it is just going to be crowded with the battery and such
Old 03-19-2007, 09:41 AM   #8
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

If you're not looking for huge SPL's and just want a good bass kick with all your music, I recommend getting a single 10" bazooka tube and a nice amp. I use this set-up in both my cars and am extremely satisfied with the punch and volume of the bass. Also, the enclosures are relatively light, easy to remove, and don't take up a whole lot of space.

If you ever want to hear mine, just let me know and we'll meet up somewhere.

On a side note, I highly recommend an amp with a remote level control. I have a Kicker amp in the Mustang and an MTX amp in the BMW and both have level knobs that I have mounted up front. It makes it a lot easier to adjust the bass level between different styles of music... or just when you want to crank up the bass a bit.

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:42 PM   #9
qkjuicedpony
Dayuuuuuuum!!!!!

i have a great sounding alpine 10" and a selection of truck boxes for sale

07 F350 dooly.....Tows my fifth wheel
qkjuicedpony is offline   Reply With Quote