Old 07-07-2010, 07:27 AM   #181
coupe
Super Moderator

coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:04 PM   #182
LeeH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale McPeters View Post
Did not get the short block finished today as Brian accidentally sent me the wrong rings but he is sending me another set in place of them.

Will post more as time permits...
Well we didn't work on it today but Dale located a set of rings locally from a friend and we should be back in business tomorrow, The Mahle rings Brian sent were drop in's when he was supposed to have sent file to fit and the ring end gap was averaging around .031 for the top ring.
90GT
93GT
LeeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:07 PM   #183
Dale McPeters
5.0 Block/Walnut Cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeH View Post
Well we didn't work on it today but Dale located a set of rings locally from a friend and we should be back in business tomorrow, The Mahle rings Brian sent were drop in's when he was supposed to have sent file to fit and the ring end gap was averaging around .031 for the top ring.
And these are what I found....well actually I just lucked out and Tony had a spare set on the shelf for his race car...

So LeeH will not get to sleep in tomorrow...

Last edited by Dale McPeters; 07-07-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Dale McPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:42 PM   #184
coupe
Super Moderator

Those are the same rings I used... except for the bore size of course.
What gap are you shooting for? .031 was probably a little loose, even on the big-bore setup, unless you're either spraying 500 or running a monster blower.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:10 AM   #185
LeeH

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
Those are the same rings I used... except for the bore size of course.
What gap are you shooting for? .031 was probably a little loose, even on the big-bore setup, unless you're either spraying 500 or running a monster blower.
Well on the Mahle rings the multiplier was .0055 which came out to just under .023 and the Akerly & Childs multiplier is .008 which comes out to .033 so Dale is going to call tomorrow and check with them to make sure.
90GT
93GT
LeeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:33 AM   #186
coupe
Super Moderator

I went .006 on top and .007 on bottom (per inch of bore).
But then again, I'm shooting for a good bit of power.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #187
Dale McPeters
5.0 Block/Walnut Cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
I went .006 on top and .007 on bottom (per inch of bore).
But then again, I'm shooting for a good bit of power.
Well I called and talked to them twice today. The first time I called and talked to Ray and told him what my setup was and how much boost. He told me .008 x on top and .0065 on the second ring. Which is .033" top and .027-.028" on the second ring. I worried about it a while and called him back and put him on the speaker so that LeeH could here everything. He told me the same thing as he did the first time....so since I do not know how much the rings grow per deg of temp I followed his advice....
I do however know that the Mahle rings would not have worked at the gap that we had with them.

If I find that Ray at Albert & Childs was wrong and I am down on power or have excessive blow by I will pull it back out and replace them with a set of JE rings as I know what they do...
Old 07-08-2010, 11:54 PM   #188
nxcoupe

IMHO, as an engine builder for years, that sounds like old school roots blower ring gaps. The newer pistons put the rings way down in the bore for forced induction applications, and the new line of thinking(giving away secrets here) is that the top ring gap should be smaller than the second ring gap to prevent second ring flutter. You don't even want to know how tight my rings are in my r/s car's engine, and I know my rings get very hot. Just throwing that out there. No one is supposed to know more about a person's product than the person who designed it, though, so take it for what it's worth.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:32 AM   #189
EHardy1971
Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale McPeters View Post
I have to be at least a 1/10th quicker than Eric and just a shade quicker than Lee F. was with the D1 blower......
06 TBSS
EHardy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:17 AM   #190
coupe
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxcoupe View Post
...the new line of thinking(giving away secrets here) is that the top ring gap should be smaller than the second ring gap to prevent second ring flutter. You don't even want to know how tight my rings are in my r/s car's engine, and I know my rings get very hot. Just throwing that out there. No one is supposed to know more about a person's product than the person who designed it, though, so take it for what it's worth.
+1

What are the gaps on the realstreet car's rings Michael? And what bore/horsepower?