StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)

Old 07-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
H8IMPORTS

Cam help?? Maybe?

I have a 83 5.0. Has a 306 Trick Flow heads (early style they don't say trick flow on them) Victor j/r intake, 750 cfm carb, 4.10 gears, C4 and a 2200 stall. I'm fixing to put a 8" 3500 converter and a 175-250 shot. Starting out at 175 and don't know how high I plan to go. lol I have a B303 cam with 1.6 rr's. The motor was built 10-15 years ago by OK Performance in Gardendale. It runs pretty good. It will run 7.80's @ 86 mph. I just want more. The bottom end was built with good parts when it was made so the only down fall is I don't know how big of a cam I can go unless I pull the heads and look at the pistons. If I have to I will. I talked to Trick Flow and they said to run the Trick flow stage 2. He said as long as it has a flat top piston I could run the Stage 2 without checking the Piston to valve clearance. Besides the TF Stage 2 anybody else know of a cam I could use?

Drive it like you stole it because everyone dies but not everyone lives!
H8IMPORTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
BIGDATOWN

Trickflow stage 1 or 3?
BIGDATOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
ncontt
pro-jackstand racer

Send a message via AIM to ncontt Send a message via Yahoo to ncontt
I had a TF stage 2 cam and loved it...also Lunati 51014 is pretty nice cam (also had this one at one time..with TFS heads and GT40 tubular intake)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb6OY9EG7xw
Old 07-20-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
H8IMPORTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGDATOWN View Post
Trickflow stage 1 or 3?
What's wrong the 2?

I have a Lunati 51014 in my other car. Seems to be an decent cam. I want the 83 to make power. Trick flow told me to the stage 2 would pick up 20-25 hp over the B303 if it does or not I don't reality know. I think this car needs a bigger cam and bigger converter. So I'm trying to figure What's best for it

Old 07-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
93cobra1928
Dazed and Confused

I would figure out what cam you want before you get a convertor. If you want all you can get out of that motor call Mark @ Bullet cams and have him grind a custom nitrous cam for you. Then order a convertor from someone like PTC to tie it all together. Always always always check piston-to-valve clearance and degree your cam to the cam card spec!
Proud owner of 93 Cobra #1928
306ci Forged flat tops, Windsor Sr iron heads, FMS X-303 cam, OE Cobra upper and lower, 65mm tb, 70mm maf, 24lb injectors, BBK shorties, Summit H-pipe and Flo-bastards
93cobra1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #6
H8IMPORTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93cobra1928 View Post
I would figure out what cam you want before you get a convertor. If you want all you can get out of that motor call Mark @ Bullet cams and have him grind a custom nitrous cam for you. Then order a convertor from someone like PTC to tie it all together. Always always always check piston-to-valve clearance and degree your cam to the cam card spec!
I already have a convertor so I plan to use it. It's a PTC so I can send it and get it redone if need to. I really want an all motor car but I don't think this little 306 will be enough for me so I'm going to spray it. I would like to get this car into the low 7 all motor. Don't know if that's possible with this setup! Lol. I will try and call him and see what he says. Thanks.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:55 AM   #7
coupe
Super Moderator

Not knowing if your pistons will hit the twisted wedge valves makes for a tough call on a cam. I would stick to something lower duration, but more lift...keeps the valves away from the pistons better than high duration, low lift. I'm really thinking you should do an F-303 cam here. It's easy to acquire and the wider LSA (114º) also will keep the timing events a little farther away from TDC. Might see if 1.7 rocker ratio works too... But check piston-to-valve anyway, regardless of the cam. The bottle should work well with it, I would advance it an extra degree or two...Like a 108-109º Intake centerline.
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote