StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)

Old 05-14-2007, 07:24 PM   #1
88 Sleeper Coupe

Typhoon or Cobra upper and lower?

Hey guys.. back again.. still gathering all my information so I can buy my parts for this winter. Can someone tell me which flows better? The typhoon wasn't listed on that sticky thread with the graph.

Does the typhoon upper and lower flow better than the cobra upper and lower? I plan to stick with the b303 cam and go with gt40p heads with crane cam roller rockers so should I just go with the cobra upper and lower? I can get it brand new online from FRPP for about $380 shipped for the cobra upper and lower with gaskets and hardware.

Thanks!
88 Sleeper Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:42 PM   #2
joker
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 Sleeper Coupe View Post
Hey guys.. back again.. still gathering all my information so I can buy my parts for this winter. Can someone tell me which flows better? The typhoon wasn't listed on that sticky thread with the graph.

Does the typhoon upper and lower flow better than the cobra upper and lower? I plan to stick with the b303 cam and go with gt40p heads with crane cam roller rockers so should I just go with the cobra upper and lower? I can get it brand new online from FRPP for about $380 shipped for the cobra upper and lower with gaskets and hardware.

Thanks!
I would go for the cobra upper and lower out of those two options personally. The typhoon is an eddy performer knock off, and not a very well cast peice at that. If I was set on the typhoon design, I would spend the extra $100 or so and just buy a performer.

If it was me doing a build, I would go with a street heat from trickflow. You'll see better numbers than the other two, and the cost isnt that much more in the long run.
joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:50 PM   #3
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker View Post
I would go for the cobra upper and lower out of those two options personally. The typhoon is an eddy performer knock off, and not a very well cast peice at that. If I was set on the typhoon design, I would spend the extra $100 or so and just buy a performer.

+1...
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:12 PM   #4
CrazyInBlack
Crusin...

the Cobra seems to be a great intake
Liberal education has nothing to do with liberal or conservative politics. Liberal education is the simple idea of a broad and well-rounded course of study in the humanities, social sciences, sciences, and the arts. The overarching goal is to liberate the mind from ignorance and superstition.
CrazyInBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:08 AM   #5
slvrbullit
Super Moderator

Well I am biased on this one since I have a Typhoon on my car. The typhoon is a Performeer RPM Clone so it would have close to teh same flow numbers as the RPM on the chart. I would agree with Jason and Lee on the casting quality if they were still new on the market but I recently installed one on Crimson Racings 94 and the intake did not have any excess caasting flash in any of the runners.

In choosing either one you will not be disappointed.

2000 Ford F-350 Dually Lariat LE Crew Cab Short Box
7.3 auto 168,000 miles
slvrbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:13 AM   #6
88 Sleeper Coupe

Well I thank you guys for the input but i think i'm going to go with the cobra upper and lower just because its a known hp gain.

I know this winter when I yank that big old 502... oops.. i mean.. little 302 small block that im going into this thing blind folded. Can someone please let me know if I'm going to have any issues bolting up the GT40P heads to my block and/or any issues bolting the cobra upper and lower to the gto40p heads? The car has long tubes so hopefully I won't run into any issues with the plugs.

Thanks guys.. when I start getting parts bought i'll post pictures but the tear down is about 6 or 7 months away.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:20 PM   #7
coupe
Super Moderator

It'll all go together just fine. Make sure the head-gaskets are on the correct way. There is a front and rear.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:28 PM   #8
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 Sleeper Coupe View Post
Well I thank you guys for the input but i think i'm going to go with the cobra upper and lower just because its a known hp gain.

I know this winter when I yank that big old 502... oops.. i mean.. little 302 small block that im going into this thing blind folded. Can someone please let me know if I'm going to have any issues bolting up the GT40P heads to my block and/or any issues bolting the cobra upper and lower to the gto40p heads? The car has long tubes so hopefully I won't run into any issues with the plugs.

Thanks guys.. when I start getting parts bought i'll post pictures but the tear down is about 6 or 7 months away.
Only issue you may have with the GT40p's is whether your current headers being compatible with them. Only certain headers work with those heads due to spark plug placement
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:43 PM   #9
88 Sleeper Coupe

Well hell i'll just take em to my buddies dad who managers an exhaust shop and have him make a couple cuts and welds if necessary I guess

I should have the weld drag lites by the end of the week and the cobra upper/lower on order.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:24 PM   #10
86nu

Send a message via AIM to 86nu Send a message via Yahoo to 86nu
if you can find an explorer from mid 97 and down to 95, with a V8 they had the Non P heads, and you dont have to use the oddball headers.

Also, a cheaper alt is an explorer upper and lower. Theres a guy in nc if you want his number, ships them and the heads UBBER cheap
86nu is offline   Reply With Quote