StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Mod Motor Tech (4.6 & 5.4)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2008, 08:56 PM   #1
Yknot

I have a few questions for a Race Engine....

Hi, I'm pretty new to the site, and I really have'nt been that active in the FORD camp....But trust me, I found the Modular engine and fell in love with it's archutecture. I have two projacts under way, and yes they will get finished, but I'm the kind that I have thing constantly going on around me, and well, I just seem to always come up with more things I want to do. Currently I am working on Project COBRA'33 and Project Flathead. Down the road, hopefully in two years my son will graduate from colledge and start working in the "real" world. When he does, we want to build a real, drag car together, with him driving and me , well you get the picture, I'll be doing everything else. I plan everything I do out, so I want to start with this project now.
The car will be a 2005 or newer Mustang with a full back half or even a 3/4 car. I have built several Fast cars and I want this one to be a 8.5 or faster car. I pretty much have a handle on the front suspension, transmission, and rear end. I like a 4-bar with coil overs, struts up front and a big fabricated Strange or Mark Williams rear. This is subject to anything that comes out new between then and now, but I am really at a impass on the engine. I love the 4.6L DOHC, and I would do it right if that was the combo to run, but I can not stop thinking I should run a 5.4L DOHC, just to get the larger cubes. I would like to utilize a twin-turbo compounded with a blower set-up, I just like the fun factor in it. I suppose if it proved limitted, I could always just run the twins alone.
I suppose my question would be.....What would you run? And why?

1. Would you stay Modular?
if so would you run 2V, 3V or 4V?

2. If you would go conventional (non-overhead design) what foundation would you choose?

3. Which Block? 302 Boss, New Ford Modular, Dart, ?

4. It will be fuel injected, but which controler? DEI, Fast, Moto Tec???

5. Turbos will be dependent on whats available at the time, I like air to water for the intercooler with plenty of ice.

6. Transmission???? Auto or Manual

If Auto

Should I go back to Chevy with a time tested combination (not my first choice). Or stick with Ford and the C4 which isn't very popular on the Drag Strip.

If Manual

Libberty, Lenco, Richmond ???

Or combine the two and run a Libbery, lenco with a Torque converter?? That is one of my favs.

I'm most interrested in the engine component of the equation, but I do want everyones opinion.

I know some think this is total bull shit, but I pretty much get what I want and I always finish my projects. Yes I know things are expensive, I have over $100,000.00 in my current Project COBRA'33, so I also have the funds to build. I still have a Dodge Dually and Edge 36'car trailer to take everything to the track, so that is taken care of also.

Please respond, but do so in a professional manor, I would like your opinion.

Last edited by Yknot; 01-19-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Yknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:11 PM   #2
militarymustang88gt

351 w/svo roller block 408 rotating assy. afr 225s and 20 psi and a majorly built c4
Old 01-20-2008, 12:34 AM   #3
Greg03Cobra

I have been talking to a racer on a different forum & he uses a modular with a supercharger & nitrous in a car that is back halfed with a 4 link ladder bar setup. He has everything setup right on his car & it runs 8.1 @ 178mph. This is on 30psi & 250 shot of nitrous. He recently made a few changes to get a bigger slick on the car, i think around 30" or so.

I had talked with him alot about his car with the way it's set up & about the motor & how it was built to hold all that boost & spray. Just shoot me a pm & i'll be glad to tell you about his setup if you want.

640hp & 600trq :Sold

2007 Shelby GT : Sold

2004 SVT Cobra Oxford White : Sold

Ricer import has become the Silver Submarine : Stolen & totaled
Greg03Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:52 AM   #4
EZ SPEED
Friends

pick up a copy of Muscle Mustang and Fast Fords magazine. Check out the Aeromotive car on the cover. It sounds like its similar to what you wanting to build.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:46 AM   #5
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

I think I would do a 4v 5.4. The 4v heads would be better suited for a high revving motor like is needed to run that type of mph. I don't if I would run twins or a huge single.

I agree EZ. Pick up the new MM&FF and check out the car they have in it
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:22 AM   #6
qkjuicedpony
Dayuuuuuuum!!!!!

I would swap to a convention OHV motor.

I 500+ inch Big Block with twin precision gt47-88's and a Turbo 400 Chev trans.

I would also use a Big Stuff 3 Engine Mgt system.

Also dont forget chassis...are you wanting to compete in a broad range of classes.If so you might as well get a 25.5 chassis built or whatever chassis will fit your needs.

I can put you in touch with some of the best chassis shops as well as one of the best race engine shops in the country.

My local chassis guy just finishe up an 05-up car with a Big Block Ford and a Procharger setup.this car is expected to run high 8's

07 F350 dooly.....Tows my fifth wheel
qkjuicedpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:35 PM   #7
Yknot

First the obvious....Yes I read Fast Fords, Hot Rod, Car Craft, Chevy HP, Raod & Track, Off-Road, 4-wheeler, Four Wheel Drive, 8-Lug, TDR, Motor Trend, National Dragster, Rod & Custom, American Rodder, Automobile, Mustangs and Fords, Popular Hot Rodding, Street Rod Builder, Street Rodder. I have subcriptions to all of the above, and own every DVD, Tape, book or other media form on engines, transmissions, cars, trucks, and fabrication. I love to read, and do plenty of it.

The whole point of the build is to do something different, with the most up to date technoligy there is available. This would pretty much put and end to mountain motor'd OHV engines, as they are avilable, old technology that doesn't lend itself to my type and or ideal of a moderen super charged car. Mountain motor are designed to run on motor alone or with Nitrouis Oxide, they will not pass most tech or specifications 10.5" tire classes have to pass. Like the manditory 30mile street drive. The car, remember is to have twin turbo's with maybe a super-charger, it has to be supercharged by one method or the other. If I don't use the super-charger then I will most-likey use multiple turbos and compount=d them like a Diesel pulling tracktor does. I need the power of the turbos and I need the edge, the nostalgia, the prestige and the noteriety of being the only one or at least the one of only a few to do this. If I do it right, I will get the much needed sponsership dollars we will need to run the curcuit and keep improving.

I also want something that atleast has a shoot at factory or other types of motorsports sponsership. No 0ne can afford to run these types of cars by themselves, so i need to fit inot a Niche, something marketable. This isn't my first car, and I have learned by my many mistakes in the past.

Many of you are not thingking BIG enough....This will be a new, professional built and managed Drag Car, were looking at a construction budget of around 75-100 thousand. This will be much more then a few bolt-on and a set of ladder bars. I'm thinking more on the lines of Porject Heritic, except I wont to use Ford Power, not Chevy.

The engine will be over-built if you can seriously over build anything that is expected to have 1200-1600HP. I'm not even interrested an any factory internals, I'll be using major brands like Eagle, Scat, Cellero, Aris ect.. The block, which ever size and style we choose will be new and race prepped, again nothing stock or stock like here. I'm a good fabricator, and I can assemble engines and transmissions, but I would preffer the engine be built or alleast the Short or Long block be built by a professional. Proformance is key, but it has to be reliable and servicable, nothing ecotic or high maintanence.

The transmission is the same as the engine, nothing exotic, just consistant reliable shifts. I'm leaning toward the Libberty/Lenco with a Torque connverter set-up.

Yes I have read the mags and I have seen the Aeromotive car, it's great and he did a good job hiring people to build the car. Thats the differance, I am going to build this car, not a hire pro. He also has almost un-limited money, I do not. I'm not tring to build a $200,00. for $75,000. That is just un-realistic and stupid, what I am tring to do is build a quality race car that work s well in the sport and class I choose, for a set number of dollars. I can not hire someone to oversee my project, do my projact or drive my project, I suspect neither can you.

This is a tall bill for a Mustang site, I'm not to sure if this isn't asking a little to much from the members, after all most are street guys with little or zero drag racing experiance or extertise.
Yknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:17 PM   #8
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yknot View Post
This is a tall bill for a Mustang site, I'm not to sure if this isn't asking a little to much from the members, after all most are street guys with little or zero drag racing experiance or extertise.
Plenty of us have drag racing experience, just not in the type of car you are looking to build.
While no one on this site (that I know of) has done a car that you are looking to do, I know at least two members know someone they can put you in touch with to get advice on the build up. qkjuiced is one of them, Wickd GT would be the other.

EDIT....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yknot View Post
Many of you are not thingking BIG enough....This will be a new, professional built and managed Drag Car, were looking at a construction budget of around 75-100 thousand. This will be much more then a few bolt-on and a set of ladder bars. I'm thinking more on the lines of Porject Heritic, except I wont to use Ford Power, not Chevy.
I think I was thinking to big. The car I thought you were wanting to build would not be competing in a class that had a 30 mile cruise reqirement.
So, are you thinking of buying a S197 'street' car and going from there to a 10.5 car? If so, I don't see you spending the money you mentioned in your budget. (that means money left over ) I could be wrong though.
Done right, I still think a 5.4 4v with whichever boost you prefer will easily meet your goal especially after the car is lightened (sp?)
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy

Last edited by QWKSNKE; 01-20-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:47 PM   #9
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

While this is not in a 05-up car, here are some pics of what I was thinking. Fully built 5.4 with twins

This car on 6psi and only spinning to 5k rpm. (test dyno session to make sure everything sounded right) put down 520/525 to the tires through a c-4. From what I understand after the breakin period is done they are removing the c-4 for a beefier tranny and they are going to turn up the wick. 20 psi and full rpm should put this car at 1000rwhp minimum with the right tune. Bump this bitch to 30psi and it should be at or more power than what you need.
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy

Last edited by QWKSNKE; 01-20-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:49 PM   #10
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Oh yeah. I think the power level you want or need will kill any C-4. Like qkjuiced mentioned the turbo 400 is starting to become popular in the big hp cars but that just ain't right
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy