StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Mod Motor Tech (4.6 & 5.4)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2009, 03:24 AM   #11
TurboPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
I'd play with the 2step settings... what will it get to on the footbrake? And what is the 2step at on transbrake? I'd raise it and see what it does. Are you on the floor when transbrake is on?

A 78mm turbocharger should mph a good bit more than 106 at 19psi. Something is just not working like it needs to. I'd like to see a datalog.

There is still alot left in it as they say, think about it .

On the Foot brake I see about 1 or 2 Psi's before it starts to roll out.

The 2 set on the TB was set at 3200 but I didnt realize it was activated . Realized it on my last run and moved it to 3500 but didn't reach it on my last pass b/c I was next to a Z06 Vette on the jug , and I was trying to leave on the green light with him . Left with a 1.91 60ft because it didn't build enough boost before the light came on .

1 The car is not leaving with enough boost so it is not under full acceleration
from the line . Doesn't really start to move out until about 60ft out.
2. I was testing at the 1/8th and didn't have the tranny locking the converter so it was pushing thru it / slipping all the way down.
3. I did data log but forgot my usb at home so I could only check after each run , and did not save the last one . Timing was steady at 19* and Inlet temps were between 124 and 135.

Im not to worried about the MPH b/c its not BAD considering the car weighs about 4060 with me in it .

I figure with the converter in lock up and if I can leave with at least 8 psi's I should be able to run about 110 mph which will put me around 139 in the back half.

Oh my set up is a 78mm with a .96 a/r , it has a ton of mph in the back half .

Pete
89 Fox Body 14k original miles lots of goodies!

Last edited by TurboPete; 11-22-2009 at 03:33 AM.
TurboPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:38 AM   #12
TurboPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE View Post
I could see loosening up the converter helping but it seems to me that you still should be seeing more than 5 psi at 3k rpm on the transbrake

I was messing around with it on the street it seems to be needing more fuel down low to spool . Im going to bump the fuel pressure up another 10 psi's in the morning and see if it spools better if so Ill need to mess with the tune to dump more fuel in at 3000 to 3400 while on the TB .

Pete
Old 11-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #13
TurboPete

Ok so I was able to datalog the current tune on the TB today .

I hit the TB and floored it, a/f was about 13.4 , 22* of timing and it went up to 5 almost 6 psi's at 3400 rpm's .

Really not sure what all this means but , a few people I talked to with Buicks tell me that it needs more fuel at that RPM and pull some timing out as well .
Does anyone know if this seems right?

Pete
Old 11-22-2009, 04:02 PM   #14
SlowJoe
Mind Blowing

Well did u out run the vette?
WTB 1955 t-bird project
SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:37 PM   #15
TurboPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecoupe View Post
Well did u out run the vette?
Yes I did, HAHAHAH, Today while I was testing I had a Grey Z06 messing with me so I let him get the jump and blew right by him , He couldn't believe it , told me to lets do it again so I said OK.
2nd time was worse b/c I brake boosted him while we were at a 60 mph roll .
He had this stunned look on his face that was priceless.
Oh yea and that was on my street boost at 14.5

Pete
Old 11-23-2009, 08:10 AM   #16
86GTPONY
Gone but not forgotten

Bet that was fun. Did you tell Joeseph "sorry"?
87 Ranger ($100 work truck)

Meat is murder!... Tasty, tasty murder.
86GTPONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:25 AM   #17
Wickd GT
Friends

Pete that converter is to tight. It should be around 3400-3800 rpm. Are you foot breaking it after the burn out or are you going straight to the pre stage light. Foot brake it right after the burnout so you can get the turbo to start spooling. Once you get to the pre stage light give it a bit more until you stage, once stage put the TB and floor it until it hits the 2 step so the turbo is getting fuel in it and you can hear the motor in the 2 step. Another thing, what spring is in the blow off valve. To me the converter is to tight, not enough rpm to get the turbo to spool. Another thing to try, unhook the exhaust, where it joins to the dual exhaust or if you can unhook it as close to the down pipe were it joins to the rear exhaust this will take out a lot of the back pressure in the turbo and it will spool faster, just something to try.

Edgar
Wickd GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:38 AM   #18
cablebandit

set the a/f to 13.0 before it hits the 2step as it will show even leaner while bouncing off the step. The timing needs to be 30+ deg on the 2step...yes 30+
Autos need lean/more timing....opposite for manuals. Dont change the converter yet. My converter flashes to 3000...leaves at 3.5psi and 3400 rpms off the brake. I dont footbrake to boost (prestage) cause we are usually on a sportsman tree but do for a pro tree.

oh and what Edgar says...less exhaust the better for spool.

Last edited by cablebandit; 11-26-2009 at 06:41 AM.
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:36 AM   #19
TurboPete

Thanks guys those are all good idea. I do foot brake the car and it goes to 3000, but wants to start to brake the tires unless I hit the TB. Once I hit the TB it spools right away but like I said only 5 psi's . I need at least 8 to 10 and it will leave harder for sure. Im going to the track on Friday , and Sunday there's an all day event at a 1/8th mile track we go to that is fantastic. The track is Immokolee which alot of the fastest cars go there to test.

Im going to try more fuel and timing in the 3000 range see what happens , if still a bit lazy I woke up this morning and installed a little help.

Pete
Old 11-26-2009, 02:59 PM   #20
Dale McPeters
5.0 Block/Walnut Cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboPete View Post
Thanks guys those are all good idea. I do foot brake the car and it goes to 3000, but wants to start to brake the tires unless I hit the TB. Once I hit the TB it spools right away but like I said only 5 psi's . I need at least 8 to 10 and it will leave harder for sure. Im going to the track on Friday , and Sunday there's an all day event at a 1/8th mile track we go to that is fantastic. The track is Immokolee which alot of the fastest cars go there to test.

Im going to try more fuel and timing in the 3000 range see what happens , if still a bit lazy I woke up this morning and installed a little help.

Pete
That is guaranteed to help.