StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2006, 03:39 PM   #51
coupe
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian LX
what alignment?
Alignment of the trans to bellhousing to block face. I've heard of people being off a few thousandthe and having trouble. Factory spec for runout of the whole assembly being co-planar is like .007"

If any of you guys want some good info about the tremecs, call ProMotion powertrain. The guy's name is Walt and he builds the Tremecs to go above 9000RPM and handle huge power. He came up with the faceplating and dog-ring stuff for 'em. He knows them inside and out, consequently he knows the weaknesses and problem areas.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:51 PM   #52
coupe
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown 5.0
It no longer goes in the 3rd gear netural posotion, it just wont take 3rd under full power. Which could be the pressure plate and or the clutch...
Yes, the clutch can cause this.

What clutches are the problematic cars running?
Old 12-07-2006, 03:56 PM   #53
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
What clutches are the problematic cars running?
I'm running a Centerforce DF.

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:06 PM   #54
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
If any of you guys want some good info about the tremecs, call ProMotion powertrain. The guy's name is Walt and he builds the Tremecs to go above 9000RPM and handle huge power. He came up with the faceplating and dog-ring stuff for 'em. He knows them inside and out, consequently he knows the weaknesses and problem areas.
That's nice that this guy knows the problems with TKO's, but my problem with this whole deal is that when someone spends over $1600 on a BRAND NEW transmission, it should shift flawlessly.

The worst part about it is that the more I look for a solution, the more I get discouraged because I just seem to find more and more people that complain about the TKO's -- specificlly the 2-3 shifts while racing.

On a side note, I have not come across one single post about G-forces not shifting smoothly.

'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Old 12-07-2006, 04:19 PM   #55
NightHawk756
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian LX View Post
That's nice that this guy knows the problems with TKO's, but my problem with this whole deal is that when someone spends over $1600 on a BRAND NEW transmission, it should shift flawlessly.
Agreed!!

Quote:
On a side note, I have not come across one single post about G-forces not shifting smoothly.
They may shift smoothly, but I'm finding info on them failing completely.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:22 PM   #56
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashbang756 View Post
They may shift smoothly, but I'm finding info on them failing completely.
Yeah, I have to admit that I find more broken G-force complaints; however, I would much rather a tranny break every once in a while, as long as it shifts great the rest of the time.

. . . a crappy shifting, heavy-duty transmission doesn't do me any good when I'm missing gears while I'm trying to compete.

'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Old 12-07-2006, 05:30 PM   #57
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Yeah, I have to admit that I find more broken G-force complaints; however, I would much rather a tranny break every once in a while, as long as it shifts great the rest of the time.

yeah. Its not like we are not already familiar with building them
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 03:17 PM   #58
Blown 5.0

Quote:

The worst part about it is that the more I look for a solution, the more I get discouraged because I just seem to find more and more people that complain about the TKO's -- specificlly the 2-3 shifts while racing.

What about 2300.00 on the whole shooting match, then still no 3rd under power? I did one of the G-Force kits for a guy the trans shifted flawless, about a month later he complained of hard to shift into 2nd or 3rd cant remember, anyway tore trans apart and found 3rd had been chewed to bits, ( it was still shifting) to make a long story short the correct parts were ordered and trans put back and 6 mounts later i have heard no complaints, I did talk to him a week or so ago and he said all was fine P.S.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:43 PM   #59
coupe
Super Moderator

Keep in mind the ratio of Tremecs to GForces is probably 100:1, so the reported problems will reflect those numbers.

Fwiw, I have talked to mustang drivers with previous shifting problems that were solved with a clutch swap. Has to do with things like the diaphram geometry, spring rates, air-gap (built into the diaphram clutch), and believe it or not: mass of the disk.

Slowing transmission input shaft speed down to that of the gear you're selecting can be influenced by all these things, not just the synchros.
It may not be in the transmission.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:00 PM   #60
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
Keep in mind the ratio of Tremecs to GForces is probably 100:1, so the reported problems will reflect those numbers.
Good point. However, I haven't even found one person that complained about the shift quality of any T-5 based transmission (aside from well-used transmissions with worn out syncros).

Quote:
Fwiw, I have talked to mustang drivers with previous shifting problems that were solved with a clutch swap. Has to do with things like the diaphram geometry, spring rates, air-gap (built into the diaphram clutch), and believe it or not: mass of the disk.

Slowing transmission input shaft speed down to that of the gear you're selecting can be influenced by all these things, not just the synchros.
It may not be in the transmission.
You're going to have a hard time convincing me that a clutch can make a transmission impossible to make only the 2-3 shift.

To counter your arguement, I will ask you how you can blame the clutch when the 1-2 and 3-4 shifts aren't an issue?

'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring