StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2006, 06:21 AM   #61
Blown 5.0

I actually think our problem is the pressure plate not letting the clutch release, Centerforce pressure plates are designed to apply more load as engine rpm and load goes up. (hence the flyweights on the diaphram), Third may be the the hardest gear to shift due to countershaft speed, mainshaft speed, ect. I dont know this for sure but i do think it has a bearing on the whole picture of things. And as far as teck support in my opinion there is none, As i stated before termec never admitted a problem but they sent us the shift fingers and a install kit. ( after a lot of phone calls and i threatned to video a pass with the third going into the neutral posotion , and put it on the web) But this did fix the neutral third, Now it just wont go into third under power. ( spray and boost, will take with just the boost) But like i say i think its the pressure plate. (its just doing what it was designed to do) .For the money i think there are better choices out there. In my opnion the 600 is one case that you dont get what you pay for.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:46 PM   #62
NightHawk756
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian LX View Post
You're going to have a hard time convincing me that a clutch can make a transmission impossible to make only the 2-3 shift.

To counter your arguement, I will ask you how you can blame the clutch when the 1-2 and 3-4 shifts aren't an issue?
I'm inclined to agree. Although I'm open to all arguments...but at the moment, I'm leaning with Brian.

The clutch I'm using is a RAM 900 hybrid that Bob Hanlon suggested to use with the TKO. And it seems weird that it would be clutch related when so many with this same problem all have different clutch set-ups.

Last edited by NightHawk756; 12-11-2006 at 05:46 AM.
NightHawk756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:00 PM   #63
bill302

ok my vibration dissapeared after breakin period....if yall dont know yet i installed my tremec 2 weeks ago...its auesome and shifts great...i have a king cobra clutch with the pro tower 5.0 shifter took it to the track sunday and missed 2nd gear 1 time because of operator error. that missed gear makes us 1 for 1 04350Z...

1995 GT,TKO500,cobra intake,pro5.0 shifter,King Cobra Clutch,Compucar n2o wetkit,BBK underdrive pulleys,custom x pipe,flowmasters,2.5" exhaust,3"chrometips,Hooker shortys,chrome Cobra R rims w/ 05 spinners,PBR double piston calipers,aluminum driveshaft,MSD coil,Accel wires,K&N filter,CAI,3.73 gears.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2138402
bill302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:23 PM   #64
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Interesting thread over on Corral.net with an interesting response from someone that appears to be in-the-know about TKO's.

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...90#post6664990

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj8806 View Post
O.k. guys, let me give you all the low down on the TKO. We sell them here and this is from experience.
The TKO-600 is rated by Tremec for 600hp/600ft/lbs of CONTINUOUS(not peak) power/torque.
I have heard of instances where guys cannot hit the 2nd to 3rd shift at high rpm(above 5800-6000rpm)
I have one in my '90LX with a 347 stroker and a Kenne Bell S/C and it dynoed at 630RWHP and I haven't broke it yet.
The G-Force tranny is an EXCELLENT choice for high horsepower applications that are doing alot of track passes and are running slicks. If this fits your description, than DO NOT try and run a "stock" TKO.
There are several companies out there, Promotion Performance just to name 1, that does "Pro-shift" the TKO and makes it capable of handling alot more power and high RPM shifting. Their prepped TKO's are in Mustangs everywhere and hold several NMRA records.
I pulled a T5 out of my '90 and replaced it with a TKO. There is no comparison.
I have been working Tech Support here for over 2 years and can say without hesitation, I have never heard of or seen a broken case on a TKO. That's not to say someone somewhere didn't have it happen to them, just that I have never seen it.
If you are running street tires and power in the 500-600 hp range, the TKO will be fine for you. The minute you want to switch up to slicks and shifts above 6000rpm, you need to look at getting the TKO prepped or go with G-Force.

Richard
Tech Support
Keisler Engineering
It's good to finally hear someone admit to the inherent inability for stock TKO's to shift above 5800 RPM.

That would've been nice to know before I wasted my money on this heavy piece of junk.

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:39 PM   #65
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

interesting.

I wonder what their response would be about the vibrations that the new tko's seem to have
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:05 PM   #66
coupe
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianLX
You're going to have a hard time convincing me that a clutch can make a transmission impossible to make only the 2-3 shift.

To counter your arguement, I will ask you how you can blame the clutch when the 1-2 and 3-4 shifts aren't an issue?
It has to do with which parts are rotating in the trans.
The pressure plate's ability to react greatly affects the shiftability at RPM. And in particular, the counterweights on a CF are not helping your high-RPM shift issue.

Believe it or not, I have seen peoples shifting troubles dissapear with a clutch swap.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:39 PM   #67
NightHawk756
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian LX View Post
Interesting thread over on Corral.net with an interesting response from someone that appears to be in-the-know about TKO's.

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...90#post6664990

It's good to finally hear someone admit to the inherent inability for stock TKO's to shift above 5800 RPM.

That would've been nice to know before I wasted my money on this heavy piece of junk.

Doesn't explain my misses though. Mine were on the street with drag radials and 5800 or less shifts.

But, as I said, I actually hit third about half the time. So mine might possibly just be the weird location of third that is causing me to subconsciously miss it. It seems much closer to first than usual to me. When I force myself to think about it, I actually can hit it.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:42 PM   #68
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
And in particular, the counterweights on a CF are not helping your high-RPM shift issue.
You can't honestly tell me that you think the counterweights are keeping my clutch engaged even when the pedal is pushed all the way in.

The only way that would be possible is if the fingers were to bend - which is not at all possible.... at least, not without permanent damage.

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:42 PM   #69
coupe
Super Moderator

Just got off the phone with this guy:
http://quicklx.stangnet.com/

He has a Tremec 600 and a SPEC stage 3. He leaves at 6600 and takes it over 7000 between shifts. 10.65 @ 127 No problems.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:47 PM   #70
coupe
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianLX
The only way that would be possible is if the fingers were to bend - which is not at all possible
The fingers bend anyway, every time you depress the pedal. Why not just a little more I know it's not the entire problem; but it ain't helping.