StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2012, 09:03 AM   #11
coupe
Super Moderator

I bought a USED Optima for my mustang about 8 years ago (had been in a race car previously)...It finally gave up this past year, so I bought one for the Viper too. It has been perfect so far. I bought an AGM/Gel specific battery maintainer for the car and I keep it plugged in all the time. It maintains the battery at the right voltage for increased life. I also have a Sears DieHard "Platinum" which is a re-packaged Odyssey battery. They're great batteries too!

If you don't need a sealed battery like these however, I recommend just getting a normal battery. I've had the best luck out of the top-level Advance Auto battery.
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #12
acproxer

optima red top in the 87gt for 4yrs without a hiccup. mostly parked through the winter and it has never had a charger on it. i think its alot like other things, sometimes you get a good one sometimes you get a dud.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #13
SilverBack

I've got the biggest, highest CCA Advance Auto Platinum battery that would fit inside the Summit battery relocation box. I completely drained it once by accidentally leaving the key on overnight when fooling around with it for something a few years back. I recharged it and it's never given me any issues. It's been in the car since I got it on the road and it's got a lifetime warranty.
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #14
RedSuperRanger23
Gizmo

I pulled my battery out last night and found the date sticker (5/06) so I'd say that it gave its moneys worth. I called the two closest Advance Auto Parts and they want $190 for a redtop Optima... I believe that's a bit high based on a google search, but I dunno.
04 Crown Vic
RedSuperRanger23 is offline   Reply With Quote