StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 11:31 AM   #1
tayzoid1
5.slo stanger

95 vert 5.0

hey im thinking about buying a 95 5.0 vert and i was wondering i heard somewhere that from the favtory it have forged in ternals im not sure wheather im right or not but iwas wonting to run a supersharger w/o opening up the motor the only thing is it has 180k but i also heard that the blocks and the rings they put in from the factory held up very well for high milage somthing about the amout of lead or zinc or sumthin ffrom where thay made the block but i need to know how much boost i can run w/o blowin her up becaus im gonna be using it as an every day driver any help is appriciated
tayzoid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:27 PM   #2
joker
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayzoid1 View Post
hey im thinking about buying a 95 5.0 vert and i was wondering i heard somewhere that from the favtory it have forged in ternals im not sure wheather im right or not but iwas wonting to run a supersharger w/o opening up the motor the only thing is it has 180k but i also heard that the blocks and the rings they put in from the factory held up very well for high milage somthing about the amout of lead or zinc or sumthin ffrom where thay made the block but i need to know how much boost i can run w/o blowin her up becaus im gonna be using it as an every day driver any help is appriciated
No, the 95 5.0's did not have forged internals. The fox body cars had forged goodies from 89 to 92, but the sn95 gt's never had them from the factory.
joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:48 PM   #3
coupe
Super Moderator

You will be fine if you keep it under 500hp.
Anything over 500 and it's lifespan will be determined by the tune and your maturity level.

Quote:
The fox body cars had forged goodies from 89 to 92
The pistons were forged from '85 to '92 I believe. The cranks have never been forged from the factory, and the rods...I'm honestly not 100% sure. Judging by the way rods are made, I wouldn't be surprised if they were forged...it's simply not much more expensive to forge them in volume than to cast them...especially for an "H.O."application like the 5.0L. Regardless, the 5.0L rods are not bad, and can live a while at 500hp...again, the criteria above will determine how long.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:33 PM   #4
94five0
S-6 Mafia

Location: above a bowling alley and below another bowling alley.
your grammar makes me weep..
Old 02-01-2007, 04:35 PM   #5
Craig K.
Nothing new here

Matt I am nearly 100% sure that you are right that the forge pistons started in 1985, along with the roller cam and tube style headers.

I am pretty sure that the rods are not "forged", I have remachined several sets, and ground down on many, and they cut a lot easier than a forged rod.

But I have been known to be wrong once, or maybe twice....
2011 KIA Optima GTS
Craig K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:50 PM   #6
TheJeanyus
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94five0 View Post
your grammar makes me weep..
And that spelling makes baby Jesus cry.
TheJeanyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:21 PM   #7
joker
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
You will be fine if you keep it under 500hp.
Anything over 500 and it's lifespan will be determined by the tune and your maturity level.

The pistons were forged from '85 to '92 I believe. The cranks have never been forged from the factory, and the rods...I'm honestly not 100% sure. Judging by the way rods are made, I wouldn't be surprised if they were forged...it's simply not much more expensive to forge them in volume than to cast them...especially for an "H.O."application like the 5.0L. Regardless, the 5.0L rods are not bad, and can live a while at 500hp...again, the criteria above will determine how long.
Your right Matt, they came with only forged pistons, not rods or crank. Guess I didnt think before I replied this afternoon, its been a crazy day.
joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:59 PM   #8
coupe
Super Moderator

Yea, I really don't know. But I've seen some impressive power from stock rods. Joker, I know you knew...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94five0
grammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanyus
spelling
Yea...tayzoid1, you really ought to proofread your post before FIRING the enter button.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:00 AM   #9
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

If the stock bottom end still has good compression and nothing smokes then I agree that you can add a power adder without worrying. I would keep it less than 450rwhp with that kind of mileage
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote