StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
Doc_G
Lurker Extraordinare

Send a message via AIM to Doc_G
Noob questions

Hey guys, starting an engine build and I've got a peculiar situation.

Let me just put it all out there and you guys can go from there:

Have what I believe is a 70's model 289 and need to know where to find the casting numbers so I can nail it down completely. Also need to find where to look on the heads for same reason.

It has water in the oil (not sure if it's a head gasket/cracked head/cracked block) and to be honest the engine is in SORE need of a rebuild anyway. It knocks a little, wheezes, burns oil, etc. ad infinitum.

I have an 86 block and the majority of the roatating assy from a 90's model 302. I don't believe the the 86 block is a roller block so I'm thinking I need either retro lifters, or run flat tappet correct?

The rebuilt engine will be going into a 68 ford f100 w/a c4. I am lead to believe that I'll need a 50oz flex plate and harmonic balancer, is this correct?

I'd like to use as much of the 289 stuff that I can as far as accessories and what not, also contemplating getting the new engine fuel injected, but unsure at this time if that will be happening.

I guess my questions are as follows:

1) locations of the Casting numbers for both the 289's heads and block.

2) 86 block with 90's model rotating assembly, will it work and if so what all do I need to make it work. Would like to go roller with it if possible, but will stay flat tappet (if indeed the 86 block isn't a roller block) for cost reasons.

3) is the rear main on the 86 block one pc or two?

4) Can the heads from the 289 be used on the 86 block? Also can I put a stock mustang fuel injection upper and lower on it to convert the truck over to FI? (Realize that I'd also need wiring harness, ecu, fuel system as well)

I realize these are fairly NEWBERT type questions, so please be gentle with me.

95 GT

Last edited by Doc_G; 11-11-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Doc_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
BIGDATOWN

86 Block is a roller block. IF the heads off the 289 would fit( dont think they will) You would still have to change the valve springs for hydraulic roller. If you ran the 86 and 90 model motor internal's you would nee 50 oz stuff also.
BIGDATOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
Doc_G
Lurker Extraordinare

Thanks DA.

So the 86 is a roller block. Good to know.

50 oz flexplate and balancer... thanks

95 GT
Old 11-11-2010, 05:12 PM   #4
waypastcrazy
ADDICTED TO SMALL BLOCKS

289 head will work.didnt make 289 in 70s tho look at top of heads under valve covers to id them. If you have an 86 roller it will have flat top pistons with no valve releifs which will limit cam size.if you are wanting a mild engine use the 86.it is one piece rear main.ditch the 86 heads tho.lol once u id the old heads we can fig the compression to see if it streetable.Id on block should be on starter side of block behind the starter
NORTH EAST ALABAMA STANGS

Last edited by waypastcrazy; 11-11-2010 at 06:23 PM.
waypastcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
waypastcrazy
ADDICTED TO SMALL BLOCKS

If its a 86 truck engine it will have provisions for roller cam but will have a flat tappet hydraulic

Last edited by waypastcrazy; 11-11-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:13 PM   #6
Doc_G
Lurker Extraordinare

The only thing I have is the block and crank from the 86 (mustang I believe) I'll be using the rotating assy from the 90's model mustang. It's not going to be a monster, just a reliable daily driver. The owner is like my little brother, and he just cruises. He's not into speed yet (hey he's 21 and only owned a honda) but I plan to show him the error of his ways.

ok so that answers a few more questions, thanks guys.

id heads under valve covers,

id block behind starter,

I'll get you the info as soon as I can.

OH here's a few pics of the vehicle in question:

here's the engine in question.

95 GT

Last edited by Doc_G; 11-11-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:24 PM   #7
waypastcrazy
ADDICTED TO SMALL BLOCKS

Durn good lookn truck! The year model of the heads will ne above the exhaust manifold where the head bolts are.the engine they come on will be under valve cover 289 302 351

Last edited by waypastcrazy; 11-11-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:28 AM   #8
EHardy1971
Trunk Monkey

'86 blocks are roller ready. You just have to drill and tap the two bosses in the lifter valley. The 302's ALL went to 50 oz balance in late '81 (depending on who you ask). Casting number for the block will be by the starter mount, get that number up here and we can decode it for you. Not ALL '86 302's had the flat top pistons, some were dished, but still without valve reliefs. The engine in that truck appears to be an early 80's engine Doc, by looking at the air cleaner, and distributor. Does it have a Dura-Spark ignition box on it?
06 TBSS
EHardy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:33 AM   #9
Doc_G
Lurker Extraordinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHardy1971 View Post
'86 blocks are roller ready. You just have to drill and tap the two bosses in the lifter valley. The 302's ALL went to 50 oz balance in late '81 (depending on who you ask). Casting number for the block will be by the starter mount, get that number up here and we can decode it for you. Not ALL '86 302's had the flat top pistons, some were dished, but still without valve reliefs. The engine in that truck appears to be an early 80's engine Doc, by looking at the air cleaner, and distributor. Does it have a Dura-Spark ignition box on it?
Not sure I'll have to check again, The distributor is a points style system and I was under the impression Ford discontinued that in the mid-late 70's. But as I'm still somewhat "new" to ford engines I don't know that for a fact. We were told that the engine came from a 70's model passenger car when the truck was purchased.

95 GT
Old 11-12-2010, 09:24 AM   #10
EHardy1971
Trunk Monkey

Ok, the big cap threw me.
06 TBSS
EHardy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote