StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Interior, Sound, and Shine

Old 01-26-2007, 02:47 PM   #1
FastRedPonyCar
They call me CrazyFingers

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar
Questions for home/car audio guys

OK since I can't quite afford that Klipsch home theater, I'm going a different route.

I got a free single 12" dual bandpass box. It's a Q-logic I think. Pretty big, plexiglass cover and two large ports with the cardboard tubes.

I'd like a little more bass out of our home stereo and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for a decent 12" sub that will work well with this box.

I'm on a tight budget so it has to be preferably in the $75~$100 range.

I've been browsing crutchfield (not to buy, to get info) and from what I've read, the Rockford Fosgate Punch Stage 2 is a pretty good bang for your buck but is reccomended only for sealed boxes.

Most of the subs on crutchfield's website are reccomended (according to them) for small sealed boxes and only a few (like the Pioneer TS-W301R) are said to be good for ported boxes.

Will it make THAT much of a difference if it says it's made for a ported or sealed box?

Also, I'll be powering the speaker from an AMC 2100

http://www.amchome.com/Merchant2/mer...ode=Amplifiers

250 watts 8 ohms bridged power I believe. Nothing incredible I know but it's all I have to work with.

I'm fairly concerned about ohm rating for the speaker. I'm faimliar with ohm rules for guitar cabs/speakers but not home and car audio.

Is it still considered safe to have an amp output of 8 ohms going to a 4 ohm speaker? And that it's just understood that in this scenario, the speaker won't perform to it's full potential?

Or will this possibly harm the speaker?

Reason I ask is becuase I obviously don't want to destry the speaker or the amp and also becuase I don't see many 8 ohm subs anywhere. I see dual voice cone subs. Would a DVC speaker be the best option? Can it be wired in series 8 ohms if each voice coil is 4 ohms?

If you guys have any better sub reccomendtions that will work well for home audio use that is under $100 or any other websites that have good deals on subs, I'm all ears.

I've got a guy offering a Power Acoustik 12w FUBAR and he's local so I wouldn't have to pay for shipping. It's dual voice coil at 2 ohms per coil so even series wired, it'd only be 4 ohms.

Suggestions?

2017 Dodge Charger ScatPack 392

2016 Mazda CX9 Signature Edition - Hers

1999 Volvo S70 T5 - Un-killable beater (Always for sale)

FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:08 PM   #2
ncontt
pro-jackstand racer

Send a message via AIM to ncontt Send a message via Yahoo to ncontt
if it was me....not knowing the parameters of the box in question, I would head to your friendly neighborhood pawn shop and see what they have as far as home speakers....you might be surprised what you can find.

Other than that, or finding some cheap (pricewise) speakers somewhere, you are taking a gamble at what speaker/s might work in that particular box.

I used to be into the car audio stuff YEARS ago and have since forgot most of that technical stuff....(only sooooo many available brain cells :P )
Old 01-27-2007, 09:03 PM   #3
coupe
Super Moderator

Home theater usually doesn't run down to 4-ohms like auto does. If you hook up a 4-ohm speaker to a driver that can ony handle down to an 8-ohm load, the current will go up and you may blow the amp. You can, however, hook up two (2x) 4-ohm speakers in series and it will become an 8-ohm load. Also, if the speaker has dual 4-ohm voice-coils, you're good to go by hooking them up in series. Either way, the amp then has its 8-ohms back. The lower you go on ohms, the higer the current becomes, and thus the WATTS go up.

Your bandpass speaker should move fairly freely. The suspension surrounding the speaker should not be too tight, but rather almost soft. This allows the speaker to move the air a bandpass box requires.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:34 AM   #4
FastRedPonyCar
They call me CrazyFingers

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar
Well, I found a guy in Auburn selling an Elemental Designs 12k speaker with dual 4 ohm voice coils for $50. Barely used and is going to meet me half way between AU and Montgomery.

Anyone heard of ED? Nothing's set in stone but for $50, I figure why not.

2017 Dodge Charger ScatPack 392

2016 Mazda CX9 Signature Edition - Hers

1999 Volvo S70 T5 - Un-killable beater (Always for sale)

FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:48 PM   #5
DSkeet
IDK

I inherited some Klipsch-horns from my uncle...Freaking cabinets must weigh 300lbs each but they will absolutely make my neighbors call the cops!! Here is one I found on the web, mine are just like this:

--2005 Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z51--
--2007 Lexus GS350 AWD--
--1958 Plymouth Belvedere aka "Christine"--
DSkeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:20 PM   #6
CrimsonRacing
Comfortably NUMB

I've got a couple of Akai towers in my living room almost 15 years old........and..........they will blow the dandruff outta yer hair........

I've been across the street before and could see the windows vibrating.....

They're still as crisp and clear as the day I bought them for $500.00......