StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)

Old 05-07-2007, 01:52 PM   #21
88 Sleeper Coupe

I don't it taking more than a 125 shot to go from 8.6's to 7.8's honestly. My buddy has a stock GT 84 body style with t-5 3.73 gear and a 125 shot and runs 7.8's to 8.0's on spray. No cam or anything.. therefore im thinking 7.8's or 7.7's on spray with the GT40 heads and a better intake is very achievable... oh well..

I guess im trying to get you all to see that I'm building this car to actually have a FINISHED project lol.. I want a car that I can consider finished thats reliable, pretty nice looking with a good chassis and wheels/tires/motor to put it into the 7's.

At this point I hope to retire this car and build another one. I want one thats done that I can hop in and go when I feel like going to the local racing scenes and the track.
88 Sleeper Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:05 PM   #22
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker View Post
My cousins coupe dropped around .8 on a 125 shot. He was having traction issues on the bottle though, I am sure slicks would have knocked another couple of tenths off. His setup was gt40 heads, b cam, street heat intake, through a powerglide. The best time at Bama was low 7's on drag radials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
200 shot is exaggerating it a little. SLVRBULLIT chime in please. I know he did very well on just a 100-shot before the last round of mods.

I think it just takes you a 200 shot to knock off .8 sec.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 Sleeper Coupe View Post
I don't it taking more than a 125 shot to go from 8.6's to 7.8's honestly. My buddy has a stock GT 84 body style with t-5 3.73 gear and a 125 shot and runs 7.8's to 8.0's on spray. No cam or anything.. therefore im thinking 7.8's or 7.7's on spray with the GT40 heads and a better intake is very achievable... oh well..
Anyone notice how the people that are arguing against QWKSNKE and I are all talking about their "buddy's" cars and Lee and I are talking about personal experience?

Let's hear someone else that actually runs a nitrous car chime in.

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:13 PM   #23
joker
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian LX View Post
Anyone notice how the people that are arguing against QWKSNKE and I are all talking about their "buddy's" cars and Lee and I are talking about personal experience?

I am talking about first hand expierience being that I drove the car down the track on and off of the bottle. I am not talking about heresay, as I was personally there and saw the times that he was runnning with it as well. They may be talking about something they never witnessed or expierienced first hand, but just because it wasnt my car doesnt mean that I am basing what I said off of second hand knowledge. You are just assuming that because the other people's statements here are contrary to your expierience, that they must not be true. I have no reason to lie to anyone here about what I saw, or make anything up.

By the way, MY 96 dropped about .7 in the 1/8th on a 125 shot but was having some clutch issues on the spray.

Last edited by joker; 05-07-2007 at 02:27 PM.
joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:31 PM   #24
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
You are just assuming that because the other people's statements here are contrary to your expierience, that they must not be true.
No, I'm basing it off the fact that it's easy to convey wrong information about someone else's car. I sometimes have trouble keeping up with my own numbers let alone 20 other cars that I have seen run.

Hell, I have wrenched on and driven Lee's car and I know more about it than most anyone, but I still have to ask him about old track times, power numbers, etc.

'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Old 05-07-2007, 02:42 PM   #25
joker
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian LX View Post
No, I'm basing it off the fact that it's easy to convey wrong information about someone else's car. I sometimes have trouble keeping up with my own numbers let alone 20 other cars that I have seen run.

Hell, I have wrenched on and driven Lee's car and I know more about it than most anyone, but I still have to ask him about old track times, power numbers, etc.
Just because it is easy to convey the wrong information doesnt mean that is it wrong though. I am not trying to argue with you, just letting you know that I am positive on the numbers because honesltly that is the fastest car I have driven down a track.

Also if you think about it, nitrous is going to gain you more time in the first 1/8th than it will in the second 1/8th soley because of the fact that you gain so much torque and increased momentum off of the line. In the second 1/8th of a mile the torque isnt really benefiting the car as much because the resistance to movement has already been largely overcome. If you are looking at a gain of 1.2 seconds over the coarse of the 1/4 I would be willing to bet at least .7 of that gain is coming in the first 1/8th mile. No way to test that theory though as someone would have to be really handy with the button to only spray the first 1/8 or second 1/8th.

Last edited by joker; 05-07-2007 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:11 PM   #26
coupe
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian LX
Anyone notice how the people that are arguing are all talking about their "buddy's" cars?
Aw c'mon Italian. You know that we all have valuable input on things because of others, even others on this site. I am at the 1/8th mile track almost every week with friends running nitrous, turbo, and sometimes both at a time!

I don't care for Nitrous as a power adder. That doesn't mean I can't add input to this thread about Nitrous.

And from the consensus here...it looks like some other cars have indeed picked up significantly when you said it was impossible.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:28 PM   #27
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
Aw c'mon Italian. You know that we all have valuable input on things because of others, even others on this site. I am at the 1/8th mile track almost every week with friends running nitrous, turbo, and sometimes both at a time!
I never said that second hand information was uselss or unwanted; I was merely interested in what other first-hand users of nitrous would say.

Sorry, I will go back in my corner and be quiet.

'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Old 05-07-2007, 04:53 PM   #28
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:

Also if you think about it, nitrous is going to gain you more time in the first 1/8th than it will in the second 1/8th soley because of the fact that you gain so much torque and increased momentum off of the line. In the second 1/8th of a mile the torque isnt really benefiting the car as much because the resistance to movement has already been largely overcome.
Wished I could figure how to get my agreement and disagreement with the above from my brain to my fingers so I could put a response in

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker
If you are looking at a gain of 1.2 seconds over the coarse of the 1/4 I would be willing to bet at least .7 of that gain is coming in the first 1/8th mile.
I 98% agree with that statement. While I do agree about the nitrous torque getting you off the line you got to remember that everything you gain is almost doubled when stretching it out to the 1/4 mile. Hell just knocking a tenth off your 60' is worth 2-3 tenths off your 1/4 e.t. on a clean run.

By the way, knocking .7 in the 1/8 in your old 96 is very impressive. Was the nitrous and n/a comparison on your car performed on a good sticky tire?

While I have done it yet, I feel confident my car as it sits now has a 7.95 1/8 12.4 1/4 in it on motor. (best as of this week is 8.00 and 12.50) I am interested to see what kind of times I get on motor and on a 150 shot this weekend at track day.
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:35 PM   #29
joker
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE View Post
I 98% agree with that statement. While I do agree about the nitrous torque getting you off the line you got to remember that everything you gain is almost doubled when stretching it out to the 1/4 mile. Hell just knocking a tenth off your 60' is worth 2-3 tenths off your 1/4 e.t. on a clean run.
Yes, but what does lowering your 60' knock off of your 1/8th mile time? What is to say that 2 to 3 tenths you are gaining in the 1/4 isnt gained in the first 1/8th? Even if you could run test srpaying in only the respective 1/8 mile halves your results would still not be dead on accurate because as we all know in drag racing there are TOO many variables to duplicate the other factors exactly every time. [/QUOTE]

Quote:
By the way, knocking .7 in the 1/8 in your old 96 is very impressive. Was the nitrous and n/a comparison on your car performed on a good sticky tire?
Thank you. Yes, it was N/A compression. Mods done were prochamber, mufflers, 4.10 gears, pullies, and a 125 wet kit. It was done on ET streets right after they ran the bracket races at Bama and before the import crowd pulled up all the vht, so the track was good and sticky as well.

Quote:
While I have done it yet, I feel confident my car as it sits now has a 7.95 1/8 12.4 1/4 in it on motor. (best as of this week is 8.00 and 12.50) I am interested to see what kind of times I get on motor and on a 150 shot this weekend at track day.
It will be intersting to see. I wouldnt be too suprised to see a 7.0 to 7.2 in the 1/8th though. Since the track should be hooking much better than Steele I think you will see some really nice gains, even in the 1/8th.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:11 PM   #30
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:

It will be intersting to see. I wouldnt be too suprised to see a 7.0 to 7.2 in the 1/8th though. Since the track should be hooking much better than Steele I think you will see some really nice gains, even in the 1/8th.
I also have 4.10's now so they help with the juiced run
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote