StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)

Old 05-09-2007, 10:07 AM   #1
88 Sleeper Coupe

Roller rockers on gt40 heads? Need input.

Hey guys.. I got like 6 or 7 months before I plan to do my tear-down and mild-rebuild and restore to my cars engine bay and motor. Its currently ford blue and although its fine and functional its not my style.. im going black and ceramic/silver with nitrous lines as accent lol... (Anyways sorry off topic..)

I'm going with the GT40p heads and some sort of upper and lower.

How do I convert or install these rockers?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SB-30...09194341QQrdZ1

Will they be safe? I know there ebay but they guarantee them and I won't be pushing 450whp. Probably close to 400 on rebuild with nitrous.

I mainly like the fact that they're billet blue. I can get the crane 1.7's for like an extra $40 and I know they're reliable but can these ones be used?

Also whats the stock ratio? Says these are 1.6 and the crane ones I saw were 1.7's. How do you convert/install roller rockers? Do you need to do anything besides install them? Do you have to disassemble the head to install them or just remove the old rockers and screw these down?

Thanks for the input. Coupe you seem to be really intelligent and help and I appreciate it.

Also.. I was thinking of switching to carb from EFI. What am I looking at paying for a used intake (Would you suggest like a used edelbrock or is a stock one sufficient at all?) and a used 650CFM carb? I'm not nec. asking what will it cost but whats fair pricing if I go around looking to buy them used?

Thanks guys!!
88 Sleeper Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:53 AM   #2
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

I can't see Ebay links from work, but any pedestal roller rocker should be a direct bolt-on.

FYI, the Cobras came with Crane 1.7 roller rocker on their GT40 iron heads.

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:59 AM   #3
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

those in your post are stud mount rocker arms so they will not work on your heads
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:04 PM   #4
88 Sleeper Coupe

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Alumi...spagenameZWDVW

Would these ones fit? Doesn't say anything about being studs. Will my explorer gt40p heads i plan to buy already have roller rockers? I looked up the name proform and summit carries them so they sound like a pretty good deal/name. If my gt40p's don't have these and I buy them should I buy 1.7 or 1.6 ratio? What kinda HP can be gained from roller rockers? I mainly just want nice reliable clean looking heads.. so if I pop off a valve cover she looks nice and at the same time effective for long-term beating.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:44 PM   #5
SkurdalenFox

Post #4 referenced rocker arms are pedestal mount.

The ratio depends on your cam choice.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:07 PM   #6
88 Sleeper Coupe

Hey i'm sorry.. I don't really know what that response meant..

Post #4 referenced rocker arms are pedestal mount.

The ratio depends on your cam choice.

So what type of roller rockers do I need? I'm very Very serious about doing the gt40p's and better intake setup this winter.. i've already been organizing finances and have started looking for the deals I want on all the stuff.

Should I just get the crane cams ones for like $200 or would those last ones I posted that you/he responded to work? I was thinking of just sticking with my B303 cam and putting on the gt40p heads and explorer or cobra upper/lower. I can't get a bigger cam with those heads and it still clear the pistons, can I? Are roller rockers worth $200? 10hp maybe?

Sorry for so many questins but I gather from the help I've received her that you guys don't mind helping someone out. I'm very very thankful for the help you give me and when I say I plan to do something I've always followed up so I'm really excited about the rebuild this winter...
Old 05-13-2007, 06:29 PM   #7
SkurdalenFox

The roller rockers you put a link to in post number four are pedestal mount rockers.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:52 PM   #8
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkurdalenFox View Post
The roller rockers you put a link to in post number four are pedestal mount rockers.
+1
That is what you need..
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 11:44 PM   #9
88 Sleeper Coupe

So then cool I can use that rockers.. aka I can use any type of rockers that are pedestal mount? Also.. if I stick with the B303 cam should I go with the 1.7 ratio pedestal mount roller rockers? What makes them better then the stamped stock ones? just more efficient? Any issues with just bolting them up?

Thanks.. anything else I need to know?
Old 05-13-2007, 11:46 PM   #10
88 Sleeper Coupe

P.S. with my new rear-end setup I went to the track saturday here in TN and ran an 8.56 with a 1.76 60ft. I was very very happy none-the-less considering she was ran a best of 9.0 with the factory 2.73 I was happy to see the new rear-end and control arms do there job.