StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Project Cars

Old 07-09-2007, 08:55 AM   #1
88 Sleeper Coupe

Project Back-to-Life: 84.5 GT350 20th Anniversary Fox !!

Alright guys.. heres a fun little project I picked up. Incase any of you know about my other mustang (Joker's old coupe) I still have it and plan to keep it forever. I found this little booger in someones garage in a nice little subdivision in a neighboring city. I picked up the car, the cobra wheels with brand new tires, the stock wheels, an extra roller block suran wrapped on an engine stand and other bits and pieces for only $1400. The paint is old and needs to be resprayed but the body doesn't even have as much as a door ding. The interior is immaculant minus the driver seat has two small tears. I was going to have both reupholstered for about $100 each and get a dash pad for the cracked dash. Carpet and all the paneling and rear seats/hatch area look brand new.

Car is a 5 speed car and the underbody looked clean. A little but of rust under the hatch (I'm told thats usual) and some surface here and there from sitting in his garage for about a year and a half.

Negative Side: MOTOR LOCKED!!! I have it at my mechanics now. The old owner showed me the factory intake manifold where he said he put way too much silicone on it and it didn't seal right and water got into the motor and locked it up. We're gonna find out what happened for sure within the next few days.

Positive Side: Brand new 4-lug cobra wheels with tires that look like they have about 500 miles on them. Motor has MSD billet distributor, MSD 6al box, MSD blaster coil, Edelbrock intake, Holley 650 electric choke carb with carb spacer, Long tube headers, brand new alternator, brand new clutch and fan assembly a long with a few other odds and ends.

Car also came with a clean title, and two important pieces of information: The original sale sheet, and the original FACTORY BUILD SHEET!!! Its a moon-roof car also which made it worth a little more.

Here are some pictures of the car in his garage, the motor, and then some pictures with all four wheels on and my cowl hood I bought just laying on top of it for the time being.

Plan is to rip the motor out today or tommorrow and go from there. Once the motor is fixed and running the car will be re-sprayed white with new gt350 graphic, and at which point then the car will go to the upholstery shop to get the seats recovered and a piece of the headliner fixed. Then she'll be driven on weekends and to local car shows and put in storage when not in use. I plan to hold on to this one for a long time.

Pictures coming soon! A bit too large to upload here.

Last edited by 88 Sleeper Coupe; 07-09-2007 at 08:59 AM.
88 Sleeper Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:47 AM   #2
88 Sleeper Coupe

Heres the current pictures. I hope he starts yanking the motor today so I can take some photos.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:24 AM   #3
88 Sleeper Coupe

Heres an update. When we checked the dip stick the oil looked fine. Then he drained it!!

Old 07-09-2007, 09:07 PM   #4
ujslost

Man what a nice project. I hope your gonna try and keep it restored to original specs.
ujslost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:09 PM   #5
TheJeanyus
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 Sleeper Coupe View Post
That's not good.
TheJeanyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:53 AM   #6
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujslost View Post
Man what a nice project. I hope your gonna try and keep it restored to original specs.
+1

That includes ditching those ground effects. Have you verified that it is an original GT 350 anniversary car?

I always liked those. Haven't seen one in a long time
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:07 AM   #7
88 Sleeper Coupe

It is an original and it came from greenville, TN with the body kit. It's factory and urethane, not a fiberglass kit that was added. Also yes the factory build sheet and sale sheet list it as a gt350 and a 20th anniversary edition. Also around the key holes it has Limited Edition little plate around it. Car also has paper work of the lady who bought it registering it for the gt350 shelby club register or something like that.

BTW. Motor is F*CKED!! Previous owner definately lied about it "locking up at idle." The block isn't even usable. It broke a water jacket in the black, snapped a coupe rods and broke a piston, broke the crank shaft, and the cam shaft. Top end still seems fine though.. so im in the process of finding a short block...damn..can't really afford a short block for this project.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:57 AM   #8
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 Sleeper Coupe View Post
It is an original and it came from greenville, TN with the body kit. It's factory and urethane, not a fiberglass kit that was added. Also yes the factory build sheet and sale sheet list it as a gt350 and a 20th anniversary edition. Also around the key holes it has Limited Edition little plate around it. Car also has paper work of the lady who bought it registering it for the gt350 shelby club register or something like that.

The body kit is not OEM. Looks like a Saleen kit. All of the body kits for mustangs are made of urethane from what I have seen.

If you don't have it already, here is a website that may help you in your restoration of the car
http://www.gt350mustang.com/
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:57 AM   #9
coupe
Super Moderator

Wow, that's a great restoration project.

If you can swing it, put it back to original factory specs, those cars are too cool to hack into a strip racer.

Use the other car for that.

And search everywhere to see if those GFX might have been installed at a dealership. That's around the time of Saleen mustang's birth, so who knows?
Old 07-11-2007, 09:51 AM   #10
88 Sleeper Coupe

I'm going to go ahead and take pictures tonight of the paper work so I can try to track down everything about the car. I haven't heard of many of the gt350 20th anniversary cars having moon-roofs so I think its a little more rare. I'm restoring the car to factory visual specs but it will have a different motor (ouch) not my fault.. previous owner grendaded it soo bad I can't use it. Going to swap in a stock roller motor and bolt-on all those nice goodies. Motor is out and I found a complete roller motor that needs to be freshened for a mere $100!! YAY!! Hoping to pick it up in about a week to get this damn project going again.