StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Trade Goods > Product Review

Old 08-28-2006, 09:03 AM   #1
Jugg2Driver
TAC Cone King!

Meguiars Car Care Products

So Sunday I decided to get out and get the stang all cleaned up for the upcoming show. I decided I would clay bar it, and wax it, condition the leather and dash. So I went down to my local O'reily's and bought $80 worth of car loving gear. I picked up the following:
1 gal of Gold Class Car wash
Quick Clay
Gold Class liquid wax
Quick Interior
Gold Class rich leather spray
Hot Rims all wheel cleaner
Hot Shine Tire Spray
Water Magnet Drying Towel

The experiance:

The car was has to be a thick as honey. I had never seen a car wash so freaking thick. But it had very nice sudding action and washed as well as any other car wash. Which is to say it worked (or seems to work) as well as the cheap blue coral stuff I had used before. During this washing I used the wheel cleaner and I have had multiple experiances with wheel cleaners that just don't live up to the bottle. However, the Mequiars product did work, the looser dust started to run immediately and what wasn't removed with the hose was easily wiped off with a rag.

Next step was the clay bar. I've never tried this before so I had no clue what really to expect. My one complaint if any is that the directions don't tell you whether your car should be dry or damp. They only say to wash all the loose dirt etc off before clay baring. So I refered to the picture on the box and decided that it looked dry. So I grabbed my Water Magnet drying towel and set out to dry the car. Let me preface this by saying I have used everything from genuine Chamios to the synthetic to standard towels and I have to say that the Water Magnet is by far the best drying towel I have ever used. It dried the whole car without ever having to be wrung out. Now back to the clay bar, again not knowing what to expect I figured this would an interesting task. Other than my hand cramping up a few times this process was relatively uneventful. It does leave the paint with a very smooth finish, but it's not a cure all to all paint imperfections. There are still a lot of gritty spots in my paint. Just waited to long to clay bar it. That being said, I wasn't dissatisfied with the result.

Next step was the Tire shine, not much to say here. Kind of a nice feature on the spray bottle was a setting to set the spray narrow so that you didn't get the tire shine all over the wheels. Overall satisfied.

Now I moved on to the Wax. Can't really say to much here either. The product is straight forward. Apply wax with included applicator let dry and buff away (finally put my Craftsman Auto Buffer/Polisher to work). With finish is nice and crisp. At least as much as a white car can be.

Now we move to the interior and I have to say this is where I met my most dissappointing product. The Quick Detail did clean and I'm sure it conditioned but I'm used to products like AmorAll and F2001 that leave a nice shine. This product didn't leave the shine I was expecting. However, it is safe on all interior surfaces, plastics, vinyls, audio faces etc. So I can't agrue with the fact that you don't have to worry about what it gets on. Second and last product was the leather conditioner, WOW! This stuff is nice and a little goes a long way. It puts one hell of a shine on your leather and soaks into it nicely. Looks like this is a very good leather product.

No pics of the car do to the fact that it was early evening when I finished and it was threatening rain. Suffice it say the car is very clean.

Also, one last note that I found very interesting and really quite a nice touch. All the Meguiar products (excluding the towel) have really pleasing smells. The don't smell like cleaners or anything of that nature. Hell I swear the clay bar spray smelled like bubble gum at times.

Basically what I'm getting at here is that unless I find a Meguiars product that just pisses me off, I think I will continue to buy Meguiars. I was very pleased with 95% of what I bought and if you asked me I would recommend Mequiars.

Matt

2004 Oxford White Mustang GT 40th Aniversery(purposefully misspelled to annoy Brian) edition
Kenny Brown Stage 2 Suspension upgrade(Panhard bar, strut tower brace, rear shock brace, super subframe connectors, jacking rails, 4-point chassis brace, & Matrix bracing) Kenny Brown UCA's & LCA's. MAC cold air kit & cat-back exhaust!
Jugg2Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 10:49 AM   #2
FastRedPonyCar
They call me CrazyFingers

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar
Sounds cool.

I bought this last year

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....1001&SKU=11131

along with a few other items

And had incredible results. The speed shine wipes are a godsend for anyone who gives a crap about their car. If you're hardcore and wash your car every weekend like I (try) to do, they're perfect for that mid week wipe down or if you come home and it's rained and the next day you've got all that dried rain dirt on the car like the day after you washed it...

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....1001&SKU=11188

I HIGHLY reccomend getting one of those. I keep a large container behind my seat. The little one would be perfect to toss in the glove compartment.

2017 Dodge Charger ScatPack 392

2016 Mazda CX9 Signature Edition - Hers

1999 Volvo S70 T5 - Un-killable beater (Always for sale)

FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 11:03 AM   #3
Jugg2Driver
TAC Cone King!

Thats not bad for $60!

2004 Oxford White Mustang GT 40th Aniversery(purposefully misspelled to annoy Brian) edition
Kenny Brown Stage 2 Suspension upgrade(Panhard bar, strut tower brace, rear shock brace, super subframe connectors, jacking rails, 4-point chassis brace, & Matrix bracing) Kenny Brown UCA's & LCA's. MAC cold air kit & cat-back exhaust!
Jugg2Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:45 PM   #4
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

We have been using the Meguairs regular carwash for the last few years. I like the low gloss interior stuff and the leather conditioner by them as well.

Compared to Zaino brothers though, their wax for me leaves a lot to be desired. Its not that the shine is bad, the Meguairs wax just doesn't last as long compared to the Zaino wax. Since I do not have a garage to keep my car in, the Meguairs wax is usually gone in about 3 weeks whereas the Zaino seems to last at least 6 weeks if not longer.

We'll have to get one of those water magnets though
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:48 PM   #5
TheJeanyus
Administrator

Their interior stuff and leather conditioner rock, but like Lee said the wax doesn't last as long as some of the higher end stuff. NXT shines great, especially if you seal it with a coat of qwik detailer, but it's gone in about a month.

My car needs to be cleaned up so bad it isn't even funny. It hasn't been washed in a month and a half.
TheJeanyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:39 AM   #6
FastRedPonyCar
They call me CrazyFingers

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar
Griot's best of show wax blows the NTX out of the water. I've got both and while the NTX is cheaper and easier to remove once it's hazed over, the Griot's has a far superior shine and lasts longer.

I haven't ditched the NTX though. I still use it on Whitney's car and the results are very satisfying but I noticed that when I waxed both of our cars at the same time, after a month, her car, you could tell the wax was pretty much spent where as mine was on there for a good 2 more months.

2017 Dodge Charger ScatPack 392

2016 Mazda CX9 Signature Edition - Hers

1999 Volvo S70 T5 - Un-killable beater (Always for sale)

FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote