StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Mod Motor Tech (4.6 & 5.4)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2006, 10:30 AM   #1
broke

Send a message via AIM to broke
Exedy Stage 2 Clutch installed

Not sure if some of you know but EXEDY which is a clutch maker is breaking into the domestic market, they have very good rep with the high HP import crowd 600+ applications. I was picked by my Tuner/supplier to be a test car since my car is daily driven and sees the track alot also.

Lil about the combo ....

This is the single disc version, metallic type material disc, not the twin disc. I am running a Fidanza Billet Alum FW.

KNOWN ISSUES
-- the supplied alignment tool is incorrect, it is for a GM 26 spline, same spline as ours, but the pilot bearing diameter is different so it throws of the clutch alignment making it impossible to install tranny.

--This could just be my adjuster and quadrant combo. I am on the middle hook (didnt have enough cable to go the last hook) and almost all way out on the adjuster on the firewall, clutch is engaging 2-3inches off the floor, I like it higher. Would probably be ok for most people. I may just make shim for the cable on the bottom.

------THE GOOD STUFF-------

The clutch engages like stock, a lil quick, lighter than stock pedal feel, if you have ever driven a spec3 it is alot like this, might be quicker on the engagment sort of an on/off, but very subtle, not chattery.

NO CHATTER whatsoever, even at idle like rpms.

Shifts like butter which I think is a combo of a good clutch combo and a good tranny, my centerforce shifted alot worse and was alot notchier, this is like butter. This clutch may be able to be powershifted with enagagement points real close to the floor.

It has a 500 mile breakin period, I have about 10 miles on it now, will report back when I get closer to letting it rip, feel free to ask questions.
broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:27 PM   #2
mustangmuscle

Re: Exedy Stage 2 Clutch installed

Hey Allen!
Wassup?
Glad to hear u got the clutch installed! Hopefully, this one will hold all that power you're puttin down. Am looking forward to hearing how it does at the track.

Just wondering why the single disc as opposed to the dual?
Any issues with chattering in stop-n-go driving?

Thanks!

Chris
mustangmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 05:02 PM   #3
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Thanks, Allen. We love to hear about people installing and testing new and different products. Thanks for sharing the input on this site and be sure to keep us updated.

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 08:43 AM   #4
broke

Send a message via AIM to broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmuscle
Hey Allen!
Wassup?
Glad to hear u got the clutch installed! Hopefully, this one will hold all that power you're puttin down. Am looking forward to hearing how it does at the track.

Just wondering why the single disc as opposed to the dual?
Any issues with chattering in stop-n-go driving?

Thanks!

Chris
if this one doesnt work, I will go with the twin setup. This clutch is suited for the HP level and weight I am at with the car in race/street trim high 3600's to low 3800 area. This is more of a midlevel clutch, they already know the twin works very well. This is what most of the big dog supra's , evo etc run.

No chatter on the clutch to my suprise. Im hoping it does well, if it hits the tires like my centerforce did when it was at its prime I will be happy.
broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:14 PM   #5
mustangmuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke
if this one doesnt work, I will go with the twin setup. This clutch is suited for the HP level and weight I am at with the car in race/street trim high 3600's to low 3800 area. This is more of a midlevel clutch, they already know the twin works very well. This is what most of the big dog supra's , evo etc run.

No chatter on the clutch to my suprise. Im hoping it does well, if it hits the tires like my centerforce did when it was at its prime I will be happy.
Sounds great!
I've read where the high HP clutches are known for being "on or off".....proving to be difficult to negotiate in street driving without annoying chatter.
This clutch will definitely live up to the hype, if, like you stated, it does hit hard on the track, while remaining docile in traffic.
Thanks for the info and good luck!
Old 07-05-2006, 12:03 PM   #6
lukem80
日本語

Send a message via AIM to lukem80

Quote:
Sounds great!
I've read where the high HP clutches are known for being "on or off".....proving to be difficult to negotiate in street driving without annoying chatter.
This clutch will definitely live up to the hype, if, like you stated, it does hit hard on the track, while remaining docile in traffic.
Thanks for the info and good luck!
buddy boy.... need one of those new clutches installed in yours that just came out.. I think they call it the 'granny shifting deluxe' editon type R clutch. I think RWTD sales them too so your in luck.
lukem80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:57 PM   #7
TheJeanyus
Administrator

TheJeanyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:51 PM   #8
mustangmuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukem80
buddy boy.... need one of those new clutches installed in yours that just came out.. I think they call it the 'granny shifting deluxe' editon type R clutch. I think RWTD sales them too so your in luck.
keep it up, smart-ass
and i wont let u fix my pos computer anymore!!!
Old 07-05-2006, 03:53 PM   #9
mustangmuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJeanyus
oops!
Old 07-06-2006, 07:20 AM   #10
lukem80
日本語

Send a message via AIM to lukem80

Quote:
keep it up, smart-ass
and i wont let u fix my pos computer anymore!!!
I was just kidding bro!!!! geek squad ain't got nothing on me man
lukem80 is offline   Reply With Quote