StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2009, 07:44 AM   #11
qkjuicedpony
Dayuuuuuuum!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE View Post
Do like most of us do. Figure out a combo you want. Buy the parts slowly and as they come in put them in a closet or in the corner of the garage until you have everything. Then assemble the new combo

Yes.

Do it once and do it right.

Dont keep pulling it apart every few months just to put the latest shiny part on it

07 F350 dooly.....Tows my fifth wheel
qkjuicedpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:26 AM   #12
stangman

I've got a XE266HR for 200.00 and a F303 for 125.00. The F was in my car for 3000 miles and I sold the short block minus cam. The XE was bought from a buddy and it looks new.
stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:39 AM   #13
tayzoid1
5.slo stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickd GT View Post
You have to consider that with the lumpy cam comes the springs to support it. Just putting a cam in that is pretty big the only thing is going to do is break springs and then drop a valve and motor is done for sure. I have a big crower Hydr roller. 522/542 lift and .250/.262 at .050 with a 114 lobe separation. This is for supercharger/Nitrous.

Edgar
the car has double valve springs so im assuming they have been upgraded from factory. the car has an aftermarket cam in it i just dont think its as radical as an f-303.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:40 AM   #14
tayzoid1
5.slo stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by qkjuicedpony View Post
Yes.

Do it once and do it right.

Dont keep pulling it apart every few months just to put the latest shiny part on it
i got what yall are sayin and probably should just chill so nevermind. ill figure something out when it gets further down the road
Old 09-18-2009, 09:54 AM   #15
coupe
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayzoid1 View Post
car is supposed to have a f-303 in it but im not sure ...the car has double valve springs so im assuming they have been upgraded from factory.
Sounds liek you don't even know what you have now... so I would certainly get that squared away before making changes... Guessing on this stuff is a recipe for a poorly performing combination. Get the right parts one time...there are some already well-proven combos even on this board!
Old 09-18-2009, 10:06 AM   #16
stangman

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
Sounds liek you don't even know what you have now... so I would certainly get that squared away before making changes... Guessing on this stuff is a recipe for a poorly performing combination. Get the right parts one time...there are some already well-proven combos even on this board!
+1 once you spend the $ you don't want to look back and say wtf was i thinking!
stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:37 AM   #17
tayzoid1
5.slo stanger

i already stated i dont think the car has and f-303 in it. this is what the previous owner told me. also said it was a rebuilt motor.......and now im rebuilding it. so no im not sure what cam is in it thats why i want to buy one that i want install it. and then do my top end work so the motor deosnt have to come out again when i get the other stuff bought. nor do i have to dissasemble the whole front clip to put the cam in.but like i said in the above post i guess im gonna take yall advise like i always have and chill with the cam ive got. make sure its a f-cam and then go from there

thanks!
taylor
Old 09-18-2009, 02:57 PM   #18
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
. Get the right parts one time...there are some already well-proven combos even on this board!
Yes there are a lot of good combos that have been thrown in the Dyno room on here.

It saves a lot money in the long run if you plan everything out and then buy the parts here and there. Trust me. I have spent a lot of extra money when I was expermenting with 302 combos in the cobra. That is not something you want to do when you are on a tight budget. Each time a cam, head, or intake is pulled you can plan on spending another $100 besides your time and the part you bought because you will need gaskets, oil, coolant, and if something such as a cam swap, a timing chain set. No since in not replacing it since you are right there at it.

The biggest statement in this thread that was wrong was the fact you wanted to do a cam swap for the sound. That is a very poor reason to do a cam swap especially when you already have an aftermarket cam. Odds are your pistons won't be able to handle a cam that you would hear a noticable difference in regards to the one you have now.

With that being said, the Anderson cams I have owned have a nice sound and make great power with aftermarket heads. But their medium sized street cams (say .540 lift and up) will beat up on some springs if you don't have good springs because of the fast ramp speed.
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:22 PM   #19
86nu

Send a message via AIM to 86nu Send a message via Yahoo to 86nu
B cam 85 bucks shipped to your door

let me know

H/C/I, Nitrous, bla bla bla all on a 351
86nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:46 AM   #20
89five0Gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE View Post
Do like most of us do. Figure out a combo you want. Buy the parts slowly and as they come in put them in a closet or in the corner of the garage until you have everything. Then assemble the new combo
I remeber when I lived at home, my mom was raising hell b/c I had a set of heads, roller rockers, intake and a nitrous kit in the corner of my room. She told me if that nitrous bottle blew up the house, she was gonna kill me....haha
89five0Gt is offline   Reply With Quote