StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2009, 02:46 AM   #1
TooManyMustangs

T5 problems....Help?

Ok, so if anyone knows about this T5 I have been dealing with lately they will know where I am coming from with this.....

I got a used T5 awhile back that was supposed to have been rebuilt and ready to go but I have spent countless hours trying to fix it and have had tons of problems with it.....I have had it in and out a few times now fixing problems that weren't right from the begining and it is still wanting to jump out of 1st and sometimes 2nd gear fairly consistent. I have replaced the shift forks, top-plate assembly, shift fork pads, sliders, gears and more and it still wants to jump out or not go all the way into those gears. It does it more in 1st when taking off from a dead stop....I can push the shifter as far forward as I can and it will either not be in gear when I let out on the clutch or it will slide out as soon as I start to let out on the clutch when the car starts moving. I can usually downshift into 1st and 2nd and it will stay in most of the time, but it has gave me problems doing that as well but not as often as when taking off from a stop....sometimes when I go to downshift, I pull the shifter all the way into 2nd and let out on the clutch and it will still be in neutral or will slide out and into neutral. It really feels like for some reason the 1st and 2nd slider doesnt travel as far forward and backward onto the gears as it does for 3rd and 4th.....

Keep in mind that once I get it in first gear and it doesnt just jump or slide out..... I can accelerate and it will shift through the gears like a brand new one.......its only when stopped or slow rolling that it acts up.

Anyway, I have rebuilt a few of these T5's but never ran into any problems like these before.....anyone with more knowledge of them or who has experienced these problems feel free to chime in with any info.......ANY help is appreciated as I have been battling this stupid transmission for almost 2 months now...

Thanks

Clint

'86 Coupe with a complete PI 4.6/5 speed drivetrain swap, 4.10 gears, 4 wheel disc working on 10th anniversary Cobra brake conversion

'85 GT , project name: Extra Partstang! Building it from all my extra parts laying around!
TooManyMustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:02 AM   #2
86GTPONY
Gone but not forgotten

Just get another t-5...
87 Ranger ($100 work truck)

Meat is murder!... Tasty, tasty murder.
86GTPONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:16 AM   #3
stangman

I would take it to someone who builds them daily.
stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:34 AM   #4
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Have you backed the shifter stops out all the way and then tried it?
When you replaced 2nd and 5th gear, did you replace any of the dogs or synchros?
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
TooManyMustangs

I have looked around and havent been able to find any deals on known to be good T5's lately without forking over large amounts of cash for a reputable rebuilt one.

This trans was supposed to have been gone through and fixed by someone who builds them all of the time......and look what I have ran into with it....I have rebuilt/fixed half-a-dozen before without any problems like this.

Lee, yes I adjusted the stops so they didnt even contact the lever anymore just to be sure....

Yes I replaced the dogs and syncros when I changed those gears. There is no grinding on the downshift into any of the gears or on the upshifts, it just 75% of the time will come back out of 1st gear after pushing the shifter as far into that gear as it will go with the clutch pushed to the floor. Does it when stopped or slow rolling and trying to take off...

'86 Coupe with a complete PI 4.6/5 speed drivetrain swap, 4.10 gears, 4 wheel disc working on 10th anniversary Cobra brake conversion

'85 GT , project name: Extra Partstang! Building it from all my extra parts laying around!
Old 03-29-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Clint,
What about the ball that goes underneath the 'block' that is connected to the shifter rail?
Which style t-5 is this? One with the pocket bearing at the input shaft or the other?
Does it feel any different out of the car compared to in the car?
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:03 PM   #7
TooManyMustangs

The ball and spring are in place.

This is the model without the tapered pocket bearing on the input shaft.

All I can say is it felt like it was positively going into all the gears when dry shifting it out of the car before I installed it. Now it doesn't seem to be in 1st and 2nd gear. I dont feel that all the way in gear engagement through the shifter in those gears like I do when dry-shifting 3rd, 4th, 5th, reverse.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:07 PM   #8
LeeH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyMustangs View Post
The ball and spring are in place.

This is the model without the tapered pocket bearing on the input shaft.

All I can say is it felt like it was positively going into all the gears when dry shifting it out of the car before I installed it. Now it doesn't seem to be in 1st and 2nd gear. I dont feel that all the way in gear engagement through the shifter in those gears like I do when dry-shifting 3rd, 4th, 5th, reverse.
It could be a synchro key/spring issue, What kind of end play does the main shaft have?
90GT
93GT
LeeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:17 PM   #9
TooManyMustangs

With the top cover off the transmission I can move the 1st and 2nd gear slider with my hand and it "springs" into place on both of the gears like it is supposed to do. it isnt sloppy or easily pulled away from the gears as well. I shimmed it till I didnt have any endplay. Funny thing is it seems to be getting better the more I drive the car around.....is this possible? Its not my car, I have been putting it together for a friend but dont want to give it to him as ready to go when it isnt.