StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Mod Motor Tech (4.6 & 5.4)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2006, 07:13 PM   #1
mrmustangconvert

clutch is shot

ok now my clutch is shot. now i need to get a really nice clutch but dont know what to get, so far im kinda leaning on the spec stage three clutch with a brand new flywheel. but also while the car is on the jack stands im thinking about getting forged 28 spline axles with some M/T slicks, but hopefully this will send me far in to the 12s.
13.068 @ 102 with a 1.732 60 ft, 4:30 gears and drag radials, 2.5 inch exaust, x pipe w/ flowmasters, stock motor and trans
mrmustangconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:03 PM   #2
keelay

Send a message via AIM to keelay
i still think that the spec is overkill. imo a king cobra would be plenty enough for a 1.6x 60'. and save about 150-200 dollars in the process.
grave yard: 98 gt vert
92 ranger 2.3 (resurrected with a vengeance!)
86 buick century station wagon
92 buick regal
keelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:13 PM   #3
04 Mach1
Bet I red light B4U

Send a message via AIM to 04 Mach1
Quote:
Originally Posted by keelay View Post
i still think that the spec is overkill. imo a king cobra would be plenty enough for a 1.6x 60'. and save about 150-200 dollars in the process.
I agree, the spec is a nice peice but it will take alot away from streetability. Its either in or out no in between and shudders during take off. Besides I have a stock replacement that has held slicks with a 1.6s at a 6k launch running low 12s not saying go with a stock replacement but I would find something else to spend the extra cash on. Just my 2 cent
04 Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:28 PM   #4
mrmustangconvert

well that sounds good but bills 5.0 has the king cobra clutch and the pedal was really stiff, but i drove one of my freinds 03 cobra it had the spec stage three clutch and it felt really good. like the clutch engauged really good and the clutch pedal wasnt all that stiff, but im also thinking about getting another ram heavy dutie clutch, cause it sort of resembled the 03 cobra spec clutch alittle but wasnt so agressive
13.068 @ 102 with a 1.732 60 ft, 4:30 gears and drag radials, 2.5 inch exaust, x pipe w/ flowmasters, stock motor and trans
mrmustangconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:29 PM   #5
keelay

Send a message via AIM to keelay
see man, keep your money, just throwing expensive, name brand stuff at your car dont make it fast, thats rice mentality.
grave yard: 98 gt vert
92 ranger 2.3 (resurrected with a vengeance!)
86 buick century station wagon
92 buick regal
keelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:54 PM   #6
TheJeanyus
Administrator

A stage II would be fine. The stage III is more clutch than you need, but it won't be hard to drive on the street either. I'll definitely use a SPEC clutch in my car (sooner rather than later, I'm afraid), if for no other reason than the fact that they are about 35 minutes from my apartment and stand behind their products.
TheJeanyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:30 PM   #7
Greg03Cobra

I had the King Cobra in my 99 GT & it had a light pedal effort. I've heard alot about how the Spec Stage 3 will cause some problems with the stock drivetrain, just look at what happend to mere's car broke the input shaft. I'm going to have a MMR RBT 700 instaled in my cobra if i ever decide to fix it. But trust me the King Cobra is what you will like, i couldn't kill that clutch in a year & a half of hard racing it was still holding as strong as when it was installed.

640hp & 600trq :Sold

2007 Shelby GT : Sold

2004 SVT Cobra Oxford White : Sold

Ricer import has become the Silver Submarine : Stolen & totaled
Greg03Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:56 PM   #8
ChipR4cam
You can call me mister.

King Cobra clutches have a much lighter pedal feel in mod motor cars. It would be plenty clutch for your car.

I also highly recomend MMR clutches. I had one in my 96 Cobra 500rwhp and the clutch had absolutely no chatter and a nice light pedal feel.

I absolutely hate the spec stage 2 in my bullitt. The chatter is aweful. It made me not even want to drive the car. I beat the crap out of the clutch this past weekend at the track, though. I got it a little hot and spongy and when it healed back up the chatter was gone. It is much more liveable now.

I think SPECs hold power well and the pedal feel is good, but the chatter absolutely kills the fun of a street car.
ChipR4cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:46 AM   #9
rtusnake
Halfshaft Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipR4cam View Post
King Cobra clutches have a much lighter pedal feel in mod motor cars. It would be plenty clutch for your car.

I also highly recomend MMR clutches. I had one in my 96 Cobra 500rwhp and the clutch had absolutely no chatter and a nice light pedal feel.

I absolutely hate the spec stage 2 in my bullitt. The chatter is aweful. It made me not even want to drive the car. I beat the crap out of the clutch this past weekend at the track, though. I got it a little hot and spongy and when it healed back up the chatter was gone. It is much more liveable now.

I think SPECs hold power well and the pedal feel is good, but the chatter absolutely kills the fun of a street car.
My stage 2 in my 96 chattered for about 700 miles when I first put it in, then it all went away. I liked mine once the chatter stopped. I'm going to go back with a spec
(='.'=)
(")_(")
rtusnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:03 AM   #10
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

You are far away from needing a stage 3 Spec clutch. King cobra is a good clutch. I beat on one for 50k miles before I broke the disc in 3 pieces.

My recommendations..
King Cobra
Centerforce dual friction
Spec stage 2 or 2+( which is still more clutch than you need)

I run a Spec 2+ in my cobra now and like it. It is definitely the lightest pedal effort Spec clutch car I have driven but still does not compare to the centerforce dual friction as far as pedal effort goes. My current spec clutch is probably the best gripping clutch I have ever used though
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote