StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > EEC Management > Tweecer

Old 04-25-2005, 10:16 PM   #1
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Question Why is my timng at idle 13.500 degrees?

After my car has been running and reached operating temperature, my spark at idle holds a very steady advance of 13.500* which seems kind of low to me. It will bump up to around 15* every now and then, but usually returns back.

As I learn different aspects of EEC management, I've been trying to watch my datalogs and see if I can figure out exactly how the computer came up with certain values. This is one of the instances where I just can't figure it out.

I have looked at all the functions, scalars, and tables related to spark advance, but I can't find where any combination would pull my spark down that low. What am I missing here?

I do know that the EEC will use spark retard to control idle if it can't do it using the IAC, but it doesn't appear that my idle is in bad shape. Also, wouldn't the spark actually be flucuating if it was being used to control engine idle speed?

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 09:39 AM   #2
Sendero
Im gonna show her my...

Re: Why is my timng at idle 13.500 degrees?

Brian, someone on the TwEECer board had the equations of how the EEC calculated final spark. Not that it would specifically answer your question, but I think it would be relevant for this discussion.

Clint, do you have any insight on this because I am coming up empty on the searches.

"I believe that a person's moral compass can be determined by how he references free men the right to defend themselves." T. Nugent
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." R. Heinlein
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience." -Unknown
Sendero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 09:54 AM   #3
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendero
Brian, someone on the TwEECer board had the equations of how the EEC calculated final spark. Not that it would specifically answer your question, but I think it would be relevant for this discussion.

Clint, do you have any insight on this because I am coming up empty on the searches.
Yeah, I searched the TwEECer board last week for timing threads; came up with a bunch of interesting stuff, but I never could find an answer to my question.

I guess I need to post this thread over there. too.

'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Old 04-26-2005, 10:08 AM   #4
86GT

If the EEC sees the idle as being to high it will reduce spark. If you are constantly above the desired idle the spark will go down as far as 15. Then if there is multipliers for ACT and ECT the spark could go lower. It seems as if the TB set screw is set to high. The EEC can not control the idle, so it tries the best it can by lowering the spark to its max.

I personally have not looked into the final calculation for the spark. I have not needed to. I just use the three spark tables in the tables section.

Keep in mind that FN901 is used under loads defined by FN125. Table FN904a and 905a are used if the load exceeds FN125. You then have to add all of the multipliers and adders.

A9M, TwEECer, 306ci, 73mm C&L w Tuner Tube, Cobra Intake, 42# inj, Edelbrock 6037, E303 cam, 155 fuel pump, FPR, 70mm TB, E-Fan, 3.55 gears, Powerdyne 9psi actual 5psi...way more.
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 10:20 AM   #5
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86GT
If the EEC sees the idle as being to high it will reduce spark. If you are constantly above the desired idle the spark will go down as far as 15. Then if there is multipliers for ACT and ECT the spark could go lower. It seems as if the TB set screw is set to high. The EEC can not control the idle, so it tries the best it can by lowering the spark to its max.
Ahhh, that makes sense. I'll try resetting my idle and see how that does.

'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Old 04-26-2005, 11:53 AM   #6
Sendero
Im gonna show her my...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian LX
Ahhh, that makes sense. I'll try resetting my idle and see how that does.

On that subject, what is the correct procedure on setting idle on a fox? Isn't there something like setting the TB screw, turning the A/C on and off, and etc?

"I believe that a person's moral compass can be determined by how he references free men the right to defend themselves." T. Nugent
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." R. Heinlein
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience." -Unknown
Old 04-26-2005, 11:59 AM   #7
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendero
On that subject, what is the correct procedure on setting idle on a fox? Isn't there something like setting the TB screw, turning the A/C on and off, and etc?
Look at the FAQ forum over on the TwEECer board.

'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Old 04-26-2005, 12:03 PM   #8
Sendero
Im gonna show her my...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian LX
Look at the FAQ forum over on the TwEECer board.
Whoops, I meant to ask for a non-TwEEC'd car. Since we swapped the Cobra intake and full length headers onto Dad's car, he's having idling issues (cold start). I never did set the idle correctly and there is a manual way to do it, but I am not sure how.

Old 04-26-2005, 12:18 PM   #9
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

you can do it with the t/b screw or you can follow the procedure that is in the EEC Analyzer software and use your tweecer off the cobra long enough to data log the IAC duty cycle while setting the idle
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote