StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2005, 12:10 PM   #1
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Question Tubular A-arms w/ Stock Springs?

At one time, I seem to remember seeing a set of tubular A-arms for a 79-93 Mustang that had a spring perch for use with the stock K-member and springs. I’ve been looking online this morning but can't seem to find them. I believe I saw them in a magazine, so I’ll check tonight when I get home.

Am I mistaken, or can someone point me in the right direction?

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:16 PM   #2
Sendero
Im gonna show her my...

Re: Tubular A-arms w/ Stock Springs?

http://www.ajeracing.com/mustang.htm

There has been discussion as to whether any K-member designed for Drag Duty would hold up to the rigors of street driving. I haven't heard of any street induced failures with the AJE. As for the others, well they have their own issues.

Of course you could go to an MM K (not Griggs) for street duty. But then you have to go to coil-overs in the front.

"I believe that a person's moral compass can be determined by how he references free men the right to defend themselves." T. Nugent
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." R. Heinlein
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience." -Unknown
Sendero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:34 PM   #3
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendero
Thanks, Nathan.

Btw, here's a catalog page that is a little easier to read.

http://www.swracecars.com/pdf/CATpg22.pdf

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:48 PM   #4
coupe
Super Moderator

Be careful. CA's take alot of abuse & if not a certain gauge and material...SNAP.
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 01:47 PM   #5
Sendero
Im gonna show her my...

http://forums.bamamafia.com/index.ph...41&hl=k-member

Don't forget about this thread too!

"I believe that a person's moral compass can be determined by how he references free men the right to defend themselves." T. Nugent
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." R. Heinlein
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience." -Unknown
Old 02-21-2005, 05:48 PM   #6
slvrbullit
Super Moderator

About a year or so ago there was a guy on corral or stangnet that had an AJE fail on him backin out of a parking space after a previous day of driving to the track and driving home. He had pics and all and it turned out to be a material failure on the A-arm and not a weld. I dont know what ever happened with it but I think they made good on the deal in the end. It really messed his car up and the front tire folded up and back into the fender. Beware of the material you choose to run.

2000 Ford F-350 Dually Lariat LE Crew Cab Short Box
7.3 auto 168,000 miles
slvrbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 06:03 PM   #7
Sendero
Im gonna show her my...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrbullit
About a year or so ago there was a guy on corral or stangnet that had an AJE fail on him backin out of a parking space after a previous day of driving to the track and driving home. He had pics and all and it turned out to be a material failure on the A-arm and not a weld. I dont know what ever happened with it but I think they made good on the deal in the end. It really messed his car up and the front tire folded up and back into the fender. Beware of the material you choose to run.
Wasn't this determined to be because of Chromemoly? I think that I have heard of multiple (street) failures on Chromemoly K-members and arms. IMO, chromemoly is a trailer queen only K-member. Mild Steel is the way to go on a street driven car.

Old 02-21-2005, 06:11 PM   #8
slvrbullit
Super Moderator

I think it was Moly nathan, at the time that is all AJE offered. I have talked with UPR extensively about their K-members and they are all Moly steel also and I asked them about daily driving and they said they have had not problems with it. I am still leary on the moly steel k-members unless drag only, but I have been lookin at the QA1 setup now and am contemplating goin that route since you can get the whole front end from Seco for around $1k.

2000 Ford F-350 Dually Lariat LE Crew Cab Short Box
7.3 auto 168,000 miles
slvrbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 07:05 PM   #9
Craig K.
Nothing new here

Brian,

I remember the system which your talking about from say about 5 years or so ago, where you could run the A-Arms and the tubular K-Member with the conventional spring.

For the life of me I can't remember who made it though.

Why wouldn't you want to switch to a coil-over anyhow, if your going to put on a tubular a-arm?
2011 KIA Optima GTS
Craig K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 07:09 PM   #10
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

He is thinking of replacing the a-arms because the bushings are wore out in his factory ones. Figured while he was at it he could go ahead and swap to tubular arms then swap to the k-member/coil overs when money permits
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote