StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Chassis, Drivetrain, Suspension, Brakes & Tires
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2004, 11:02 PM   #1
Sendero
Im gonna show her my...

Anti-squat, where to begin? Pinion Angle too.

Since I will be installing my Tri-Link soon, I was running through some numbers on the suspension. First I will give you a run down of the suspension:

350# Front Coilovers
225# Rear Coilovers
Stock Cobra Front Swaybar
MM Panhard Bar
Pro3i Race LCA's (Poly body mount, Solid Axle Mount)
Deleted the rear swaybar

With the Tri-Link I have the option of setting the anti-squat between 90% and 105%. I understand that if its to high I will experience wheel hop under hard braking. But from what I have read, the higher settings will "hit" the tires harder without affecting weight transfer. This seems counterproductive for a radial tired car. Where should I begin, high or low?

Also the pinion angle, I know the stock Ford is around 3* to 4* negative. Since now my axle will be solidly suspended, should I move to something a little less like 1* to 1.5* negative? This is what the Ford service manual says the transmission/crankshaft centerline angle is set to from the factory.

Thanks

"I believe that a person's moral compass can be determined by how he references free men the right to defend themselves." T. Nugent
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." R. Heinlein
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience." -Unknown
Sendero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 11:25 PM   #2
slvrbullit
Super Moderator

Re: Anti-squat, where to begin? Pinion Angle too.

I cant answer none of your question there, but I have an angle locator if you need to borrow it.

2000 Ford F-350 Dually Lariat LE Crew Cab Short Box
7.3 auto 168,000 miles
slvrbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 08:11 AM   #3
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

I think the best thing to do, is to call the manufacturer of your stuff and see what they recommend
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 08:30 AM   #4
tacbear
LE equipment inventor....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendero
Since I will be installing my Tri-Link soon, I was running through some numbers on the suspension. First I will give you a run down of the suspension:

350# Front Coilovers
225# Rear Coilovers
Stock Cobra Front Swaybar
MM Panhard Bar
Pro3i Race LCA's (Poly body mount, Solid Axle Mount)
Deleted the rear swaybar

With the Tri-Link I have the option of setting the anti-squat between 90% and 105%. I understand that if its to high I will experience wheel hop under hard braking. But from what I have read, the higher settings will "hit" the tires harder without affecting weight transfer. This seems counterproductive for a radial tired car. Where should I begin, high or low?

Also the pinion angle, I know the stock Ford is around 3* to 4* negative. Since now my axle will be solidly suspended, should I move to something a little less like 1* to 1.5* negative? This is what the Ford service manual says the transmission/crankshaft centerline angle is set to from the factory.

Thanks

Answer:YES

"Hondo"

2000 Mustang GT Vortech Supercharged
2002 SVT Focus
2002 Harley F 150 DSG
2003 BMW Z4 3.0L Si
2006 F250XLT 6.0L Powerstroke
tacbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 10:13 AM   #5
Sendero
Im gonna show her my...

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE
I think the best thing to do, is to call the manufacturer of your stuff and see what they recommend
Their answer: We cannot answer that question for you as it depends on your setup, which we would have to measure and test in-person.

Not much help to me.

"I believe that a person's moral compass can be determined by how he references free men the right to defend themselves." T. Nugent
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." R. Heinlein
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience." -Unknown
Sendero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 01:14 PM   #6
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
2002 Custom Harley Davidson F 150
2000 Mustang GT "Batmobile Edition"
2000 S10 Low rider "Yo"
1995 35 ft. Coachman Santara 7.5L UAV
1982 S10 beater
1998 Caravelle Ski Boat
2000 Kawasaki 300 Lakota 4wheeler
1989 Kawasaki 300 Bayou 4wheeler
looking for a front wheel drive daily driver

You just can't hide money can you Whit

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 07:01 PM   #7
tacbear
LE equipment inventor....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian LX
You just can't hide money can you Whit

I stole most of them
tacbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 10:51 PM   #8
coupe
Super Moderator

Sendero. Your pinion angle will depend on what you want to do with the car. Mine's changed alot with the LCA's I used, but it's now got a little vibration at speed under part throttle... But it jumps out like never before when I hit it. I need ARUCA's to correct this.

You can hopefully adjust your angle and set it to your driving habits. The best method is by testing it.
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 08:53 AM   #9
svopaul

Send a message via AIM to svopaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE

This is what I would suggest. You could "test it" or play around with it yourself but there really isn't much area around here were you can effectively try out your adjustments so that advice is jumping the gun by a long shot.

First contact the manufacturer and tell them what you have....they should be able to offer a suggestion for at least a starting point and from there when you have the opportunity to put it through it's paces you can make adjustments from there. This should also give you a safe starting point where you can drive the car and get a feel for your new system....you need some seat time in order to get a feel for what it is doing and be able to further adjust it later.

You will also want to consider your front suspension and the alignment settings you have there....both front and rear suspension need to work together so you don't want to have a setting up front that is going to negatively effect the rear....the manufacturer should also be able to recommend some alignment settings for you. If they cannot then let me know and I'll dig up some specs for you
Old 12-28-2004, 11:49 AM   #10
Craig K.
Nothing new here

Nathan,
Try posting this question on Cornercravers I would think those guys would have the best suggestions on where to start.

Personaly I like to start things in the middle of their range, then as Paul said get some seat time. Then I usually will make a drastic move in either direction to feel what it does or does do. Do this in both directions of available movement.

Then make smaller moves in the direction which felt better.

As far as pinnion angle goes, I would do the same. Try starting out around 3 degrees and see how it feels.

Make the Pan hard rod and 3 link adjustments until they feel good. Then make a pinnion adjustment drastically say from 3 to 1 and see what it feels like.

The secret to an adjustable suspension is to try it out.
Craig K. is offline   Reply With Quote