StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Chassis, Drivetrain, Suspension, Brakes & Tires
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2004, 12:37 PM   #11
Sendero
Im gonna show her my...

Re: Anti-squat, where to begin? Pinion Angle too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig K.
Nathan,
Try posting this question on Cornercravers I would think those guys would have the best suggestions on where to start.
http://corner-carvers.com/forums/sho...t=15727&page=5

Already tried that and I got a "ambigous" answer. But thank you for the suggestions of starting in the middle. I hope to get a lot of seat time at TGPR or something similar this Spring/Summer. Now I just wished my Panhard Rod was a little more adjustable in the Z direction. :chair:

"I believe that a person's moral compass can be determined by how he references free men the right to defend themselves." T. Nugent
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." R. Heinlein
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience." -Unknown
Sendero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 09:04 PM   #12
coupe
Super Moderator

like I said before. test it out. Listen to Craig...he's got his weight-distribution pretty well equalized on his 85.
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 06:51 AM   #13
svopaul

Send a message via AIM to svopaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe
like I said before. test it out.

That was agreed on but you MUST have a good starting point which you did not mention. Everything else said was to clarify that you must have a good/safe starting setting BEFORE testing changes out. You can't just toss a suspension system together and go out and drive it without a base starting point....doing it that way is a crap shoot meaning it might be OK or worse you could end up with a potentially dangerous setting. With all the idiots on the road today you never know when someone is going to do something stuipd and force you to react and the last thing anyone needs is a situation forcing them to react and end up in a wreck as a result of a very wrong guessed starting point. Granted this is rare and not that likely but still possible. He doesn't have a race track to test on which means it will be done on the streets....a good base starting point will go a long way and keep the car fairly predictable.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:35 AM   #14
Sendero
Im gonna show her my...

Pinion Angle, does it directly effect ride quality?

"I believe that a person's moral compass can be determined by how he references free men the right to defend themselves." T. Nugent
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." R. Heinlein
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience." -Unknown
Old 12-29-2004, 07:40 AM   #15
Sendero
Im gonna show her my...

Quote:
Originally Posted by svopaul
That was agreed on but you MUST have a good starting point which you did not mention. Everything else said was to clarify that you must have a good/safe starting setting BEFORE testing changes out. You can't just toss a suspension system together and go out and drive it without a base starting point....doing it that way is a crap shoot meaning it might be OK or worse you could end up with a potentially dangerous setting. With all the idiots on the road today you never know when someone is going to do something stuipd and force you to react and the last thing anyone needs is a situation forcing them to react and end up in a wreck as a result of a very wrong guessed starting point. Granted this is rare and not that likely but still possible. He doesn't have a race track to test on which means it will be done on the streets....a good base starting point will go a long way and keep the car fairly predictable.
I know that I definately what to set my car up for a little bit of understeer rather than oversteer. As much as I think it would be cool to "hang tail" out of the turn lane, I don't think it would be a wise setup in an emergency manuver.

The MM Panhard is pretty much fixed. Just enough adjustment to get it level which is good enough for the street. But I would like a little more adjustment so I can dial in a little more tension/slop.

Anti-squat, I'm just going to start in the middle and drive it. See if I get any brake hop and take it to the track a couple of times.

Ride height, set it low enough to look good but high enough to keep it off the bumpstops. This usually equates to about a 1" drop.

Springs, pretty much set. Although I will probably preload them all a half turn.

Can't think of anything else right now, but it will probably change tomorrow!

Old 12-29-2004, 07:43 AM   #16
svopaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendero
Pinion Angle, does it directly effect ride quality?

I have never noticed any effect but I also have not had one set for full on Drag Racing or any other extreem on a street driven car.

When setting it up on a Mark VII I built for a customer we played around with a few different settings while working on trying to cure a vibration problem (caused by the guy who installed the 5 speed) I never felt any deterioration of ride quality....But there can be a noticeable difference in how the car launches off the line....this was also a street car and not a drag car.

The Evolution is set up as pretty much a full out corner carver and has excellent road manners
Old 12-29-2004, 07:46 AM   #17
svopaul

Quote:
I know that I definately what to set my car up for a little bit of understeer rather than oversteer. As much as I think it would be cool to "hang tail" out of the turn lane, I don't think it would be a wise setup in an emergency manuver.

The MM Panhard is pretty much fixed. Just enough adjustment to get it level which is good enough for the street. But I would like a little more adjustment so I can dial in a little more tension/slop.

Anti-squat, I'm just going to start in the middle and drive it. See if I get any brake hop and take it to the track a couple of times.

Ride height, set it low enough to look good but high enough to keep it off the bumpstops. This usually equates to about a 1" drop.

Springs, pretty much set. Although I will probably preload them all a half turn.

Can't think of anything else right now, but it will probably change tomorrow!
You've got a good handle on it for a starting point....things will always change, you will find yourself playing with things for a while until you settle in where you like it.

Be prepared with tools if you go to TGPR....you may want to play there when you have the opportunity to run it a little harder than you can on the street...you'll have plenty of time to tinker between your sessions
Old 12-29-2004, 07:54 AM   #18
Sendero
Im gonna show her my...

Quote:
Originally Posted by svopaul
I have never noticed any effect but I also have not had one set for full on Drag Racing or any other extreem on a street driven car.

When setting it up on a Mark VII I built for a customer we played around with a few different settings while working on trying to cure a vibration problem (caused by the guy who installed the 5 speed) I never felt any deterioration of ride quality....But there can be a noticeable difference in how the car launches off the line....this was also a street car and not a drag car.

The Evolution is set up as pretty much a full out corner carver and has excellent road manners
Just out of curiosity, what pinion angle was the Mark VII and its mods? (IE: How was it "bushed": poly, rubber, or solid) Same for the Evolution?

Old 12-29-2004, 09:19 AM   #19
svopaul

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what pinion angle was the Mark VII and its mods? (IE: How was it "bushed": poly, rubber, or solid) Same for the Evolution?
The Mark VII was poly bushings all around with adjustable upper arms and the car was lowered from stock ride height...nothing else. The pinion angle ended up at 2 degrees negative on it which seemed to be the best at the time. The issue what that car is that the transmission tunnel is not made for a 5 speed so the transmission height and pinion angle had to be played with. Sometime over the winter the car is supposed to ship down here from Maryland so that we can put a Mustang Tunnel section in it and make it right and I am sure I'll have to reset the pinion angle there.

The Evolution I honestly can't remember but the car is here so it is something that can be checked . My angle finder has gone missing in our move...this reminds me I need to pick up another one The evolution has spherical rod ends...no bushings at all on the rear end and no upper control arms since it has the Watts linkage and severe duty torque arm.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:41 PM   #20
Craig K.
Nothing new here

Nathan,

When are you planning on doing the install?

Also if we end up doing a TGRP day I will bring all my tools, and would be glad to work on it with you.
Craig K. is offline   Reply With Quote