StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > EEC Management > Tweecer
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 07:08 PM   #1
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

So I was thinking today...

Anybody ever run dual tuners?

Reason I ask is that while I like all the nice features that a PMS has (standalone mode at WOT, built in 2-step, nitrous controls, boost tables, etc) I hate that it can do nothing for general streetability. In other words there is no dialing in the MAF curve, no idle jump for when the a/c is on, and so forth. You are running on the stock EEC below certain parameters.

What if you ran the PMS and the tweecer? You could dial in your MAF curve and make fuel adjustments for around town driving and economy and let the PMS kick in during any WOT pulls. (standalone turns off the EEC at a certain tps voltage and rpm)
I will one of these days have a turbo on the cobra and would love to keep the benefit of the PMS since it can read boost and I already have everything I need for it to.

Yeah I could just run a tweecer only and buy a MSD BTM box but hell, the BTM is the same price as a used tweecer.

Is there anyway to test the standalone processor in the PMS to see if it really makes the difference at the track is claimed?
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:45 PM   #2
coupe
Super Moderator

I think the smart money would be on a real stand alone system at that point Lee. Not stacking two piggyback units.

megasquirt.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:58 AM   #3
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

I have a hard time believe that a 'real' standalone is worth the money when you could do something like this for half the money.
Besides, it seems that with a real standalone unit I would still have the same drivability problems I have now.

Dale needs to hurry up and get busy on his cars so that he can tell me what he can do with his AEM unit
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
Old 08-21-2007, 08:30 AM   #4
coupe
Super Moderator

AEM is top-notch. But expensive too.Megasquirt is pretty nice for the money. Alot of features and support. www.diyautotune.com is a great resource. Guys name is Jerry, tell him I sent ya.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:05 PM   #5
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

I reviewed the website you posted. Not impressed with the Megasquirt system or the website. Seemed kinda weird because you buy it piece by piece instead of buying a complete tuner for your car.

Also, since Dale McPeters never gets on here I called him. What I am talking about doing is easily done and agrees that this would be a good thing to do
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
Old 08-22-2007, 12:34 PM   #6
Dale McPeters
5.0 Block/Walnut Cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE View Post
I have a hard time believe that a 'real' standalone is worth the money when you could do something like this for half the money.
Besides, it seems that with a real standalone unit I would still have the same drivability problems I have now.

Dale needs to hurry up and get busy on his cars so that he can tell me what he can do with his AEM unit
Lee,

What you propose to do will work just fine as one will control all idle and most of the drivability. The other will only control it after a certain rpm etc. has been reached. That is what we will probably have to do with Lee Hay's EPEC if he usese it in piggy back mode. This has been done before......

I have been playing with the AEM EMS......

I also pulled the receipt for the AEM EMS last night and when I bought it from Bob Kurgan it was cheaper than the cost of a PMS Series IV & a used TwEECer-RT. And it can control every aspect of tuning including idle & drivability. The AEM is stand-a-lone as far as tuning. It is only plug & play in the sense that it plugs into the factory wiring harness & it can be used with all factory sensors etc.

I will drop you a pm shortly.

-Dale
Old 08-22-2007, 02:33 PM   #7
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale McPeters View Post
I also pulled the receipt for the AEM EMS last night and when I bought it from Bob Kurgan it was cheaper than the cost of a PMS Series IV & a used TwEECer-RT. And it can control every aspect of tuning including idle & drivability. The AEM is stand-a-lone as far as tuning. It is only plug & play in the sense that it plugs into the factory wiring harness & it can be used with all factory sensors etc.
I wouldn't mind trying an AEM setup BUT I doubt I can get your pricing

PMS is paid for so I'll keep it (and I am happy with it for the most part). Find a used tweecer for $350-$400 and I'll be set. Now I just need a way to come up with the money
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
Old 08-22-2007, 02:47 PM   #8
coupe
Super Moderator

SLVRBULLIT is selling his tweecer. Hope they work together; Keep updating.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:59 PM   #9
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Thought he had alreaddy sold it?
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
Old 08-23-2007, 03:15 PM   #10
rj95svt

The aem looks very cool and after looking at some of it's features I would love to have one of them but they are very pricey and I am like you and can't afford to buy one of them. I actually pm'ed slvrbullit about his tweecer earlier today. Being that I have a 95 cobra I'm going to need one to run a aftermarket cam without major driveability problems. Check out this thread on SN about the AEM. This is on a 94-95 but on the last page he has a video of the computerscreen while datalogging.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=710168

Last edited by QWKSNKE; 08-24-2007 at 05:00 AM. Reason: fixed hyperlink
rj95svt is offline   Reply With Quote