StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Chassis, Drivetrain, Suspension, Brakes & Tires
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 01:35 PM   #11
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Re: big brakes/ Boyds

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96GTS
Maybe you can get some 99+ GT/V6 brakes. 11" rotor w/ 2 piston calipers...and you can get them for cheap!
I wonder if you can just use the 2 piston caliper since the rotor size is the same between the 4-lug and 5-lug cars
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:58 PM   #12
Craig K.
Nothing new here

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE
I wonder if you can just use the 2 piston caliper since the rotor size is the same between the 4-lug and 5-lug cars
No, unless you modify the current spindle. You have to cut-off the upper ear and mount in an adaptor bracket, at the minimum.

The stock brake caliper has a 65 mm front piston.

You can go to autozone and for about $12.50 buy the 73mm piston caliper, tell them you have an '86 SVO. I did this on the '85 for a while. I did have to upgrade to an '86 SVO master cylinder also from autozone for about $30.00 rebuilt. On the stock calipers you should also cut out the rubber guide sleeves and replace them with SS one. If you want to do this, let me know, I have several sets, and would sell you one set cheap.

As for appearance, after you do a rear disk swap, just paint the stuff black (with high temp paint) and it will look decent.
2011 KIA Optima GTS
Craig K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 02:52 AM   #13
Shorty
Pr0j3ct P1mp T1t3, y0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig K.
No, unless you modify the current spindle. You have to cut-off the upper ear and mount in an adaptor bracket, at the minimum.

The stock brake caliper has a 65 mm front piston.

You can go to autozone and for about $12.50 buy the 73mm piston caliper, tell them you have an '86 SVO. I did this on the '85 for a while. I did have to upgrade to an '86 SVO master cylinder also from autozone for about $30.00 rebuilt. On the stock calipers you should also cut out the rubber guide sleeves and replace them with SS one. If you want to do this, let me know, I have several sets, and would sell you one set cheap.

As for appearance, after you do a rear disk swap, just paint the stuff black (with high temp paint) and it will look decent.
the 73mm caliper is one route i have been looking at, just wasnt sure of the year and make i had to request. i also didnt know they were that cheap. i guess this is the route i will go. use the above listed with Baer rotors and some Hawk pads, i should still see a big difference in stopping ability. i will be calling to check on these in the morning. i am running out of time. Matt...if you see this and get a chance price these parts for me.

craig thanks for the info. info on this swap is very limited, so maybe if i go with this we can a nice FAQ wrote up on it. i will PM you about the guides as soon as i find out about the other parts.