StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Chassis, Drivetrain, Suspension, Brakes & Tires
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2007, 09:47 PM   #51
coupe
Super Moderator

You guys actually have yourselves convinced.

Quote:
I've had difference like that at different time os the year with the exact same combos!
. . . it's called weather changes.
But these were back to back runs.

Quote:
3yrs ago ran a nitrous pass on street tires:
12.8 at 119 with 2.3ISH 60'
Then an hour later after bolting on the slicks,
12.43 at 108 with a 1.6ish 60'
But turning off the Nitrous ruins the credibility of that one.

If conditions could really be controlled and tested with precision, you guys would see the truth...

See, what we have here is an old myth...a wives tale that I've heard for years. Some of these things are just drilled into us at the track and we believe them...often times to try to explain our mis-shifts, poor driving, or just plain crappy tunes. Not pointing fingers obviously, I would be the last one to say I'm a good racer...I have way less track time than most of you.

But if conditions are the same and wheelspin is controlled (which is unlikely), the passes with more traction will always have more mph at the big end. If not, something's wrong with the timers or the car, or some other parameter.

Think about it:
Trying to get from A to B in as little time as possible requires the greatest acceleration possible. Right?
Getting the greatest acceleration possible from your car requires traction. Right?
Achieving this greatest amount of acceleration (with traction) from A to B will yield the maximum speed during the trip at point B. Right?

Actually, it is Rocket Science.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:29 AM   #52
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post

You can tell by looking at his 60' the nitrous was not turned off.

Its easy to convince ourselves when we have done it. Please spare me your theories and laws you have read in a book somewhere, they are not credible to me as real world experience.
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:09 AM   #53
coupe
Super Moderator

Quote:
Please spare me your theories and laws you have read in a book somewhere...
No, I googled it.

Quote:
Its easy to convince ourselves when we have done it.
Well, some of us have done the opposite. Does either one validate our stance? No. What I'm trying to say is the track runs aren't offering any proof. Too many other variables.

And I don't believe a car can go 119, then 108 on the next run (with the same amount of nitrous) unless the second run is all tire-spin...or there is a malfunction in the nitrous. Slvrbullit has a ton of track experience, but I think there was something else amiss on that example.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:45 AM   #54
Sendero
Im gonna show her my...

I can accept that good traction results in a lower ET and average MPH because if a car truly "hooks" and has consistant shift points, then it will be at the same RPM and gear selection at the timers which in turn equals MPH (save for rolling and aerodynamic resistance). Because their isn't a loss of traction, the car can cover the set distance in the quickest amount of time.

What I cannot accept is that a spinning tire equals higher velocity. Since F=m(a) and a=delta v/t; if you can't apply force to the ground then what is causing the higher mass acceleration, time? I'm sure some equations and variables are missing, but it should cover the main point.

Damn, I should of paid more attention in applied physics.

"I believe that a person's moral compass can be determined by how he references free men the right to defend themselves." T. Nugent
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." R. Heinlein
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience." -Unknown
Sendero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:43 AM   #55
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendero View Post
What I cannot accept is that a spinning tire equals higher velocity.
Just to clear things up, I'm not saying it yeilds a higher velocity -- I say that the traps speed will be the same.

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:02 AM   #56
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
No, I googled it.

Well, some of us have done the opposite. Does either one validate our stance? No. What I'm trying to say is the track runs aren't offering any proof. Too many other variables.

And I don't believe a car can go 119, then 108 on the next run (with the same amount of nitrous) unless the second run is all tire-spin...or there is a malfunction in the nitrous. Slvrbullit has a ton of track experience, but I think there was something else amiss on that example.
Have you ever owned a car that would spin 1st-3rd gear on street tires at the track? I am not talking about 'chirping' the tires between gear changes either.

I have a little bit of track experience as well between the 3 mustangs I have owned that saw a quite a bit of track time (the 93 alone has over 300 passes on it). I guess there was something amiss on my runs as well.

That's ok though. You and I will have to agree to disagree.
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:42 PM   #57
slvrbullit
Super Moderator

Quote:

But these were back to back runs.

The nitrous was not off and there were no missed gears or anything, there were even a couple other people that witnessed it at Steele. It has also happened at Lassiter, Holiday, and Chilton County.

I guess I need to take it to the track and prove it.

2000 Ford F-350 Dually Lariat LE Crew Cab Short Box
7.3 auto 168,000 miles
slvrbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:01 PM   #58
rtusnake
Halfshaft Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJeanyus View Post
I really need to get mine installed.

I'll be installing a JLT and MAF Xtender tomorrow. And hopefully the new tunes that Ed wrote for me will take care of my detonation problem in cold air.
Did you get your car redynoed? If so did it make more power? Btw it took alittle over 3.5 hours tonight to install the line lock
(='.'=)
(")_(")
rtusnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:19 AM   #59
TheJeanyus
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtusnake View Post
Did you get your car redynoed? If so did it make more power? Btw it took alittle over 3.5 hours tonight to install the line lock
The intake still is not installed. So far the tube is in place, the mass air meter is half way installed (plugged in, but not attached to the tube), and the air filter is in the trunk in the box.
TheJeanyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:21 PM   #60
Ramsiec5

Send a message via AIM to Ramsiec5
Send this one to the MYTH BUSTERS! lol
Ramsiec5 is offline   Reply With Quote