StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Chassis, Drivetrain, Suspension, Brakes & Tires
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2009, 02:16 PM   #1
GoldnGT
.RAR

Send a message via AIM to GoldnGT Send a message via MSN to GoldnGT Send a message via Yahoo to GoldnGT
Fun times the other nite

Was coming home from the galleria the other nite and heard a clunk sound under the car.. typical sound if you hit a rock and threw it up under the car.. just bouncing through the wheel wells. about a mile later, i heard it again and decided that it wasn't a coincidence.

I hit the brakes to pull off on the shoulder and heard an awful... bam! from the front right side. I hit the brakes and they were very spongy. I hit them again, and they were solid and slowly went down, hit them again same thing, finally got off the side of the road and heard another loud bam!

i got out and went around to the front passenger side where the air was leaking out of my tire, and i noticed a funny thing. The caliper was in FRONT of the rotor, leaking brake fluid of course.

I had to get it towed and dropped it off at Tire Engineers on Southside.

Got a call from them yesterday and i've gotta get the backing plate and caliper replaced... as well as the rim, where the caliper cracked the inner wall (pic below) and since the tire was flat and pretty well locked up, gotta replace the tire as well =(

Wondering if any of you could think of any reason that would happen. I replaced the brakes in the front about two years ago, and torqued everything to spec... could the bolts just worked their way back out over time, or do you think they actually snapped? I would have gotten a pic, or taken the tire off and looked, but it was just as all of that hard rain moved in on Sunday, so I was just happy to get it on a flatbed and off of the side of the interstate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wheel.jpg (143.4 KB, 42 views)
GoldnGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
evrae205

Send a message via AIM to evrae205 Send a message via Yahoo to evrae205
No idea how that could happen but,

tell michael johnston you're friends with mooses grandson. he might hook you up. freddy and michael are old friends of the family.
evrae205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:52 PM   #3
jonosranger
Boost! Its wats 4 dinner

Dang man sorry bout the luck. Just glad everybodys ok
jonosranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
GoldnGT
.RAR

Send a message via AIM to GoldnGT Send a message via MSN to GoldnGT Send a message via Yahoo to GoldnGT
Quote:
Originally Posted by evrae205 View Post
No idea how that could happen but,

tell michael johnston you're friends with mooses grandson. he might hook you up. freddy and michael are old friends of the family.
Yeah my dad went to HS with Michael as well. He usually gives our company and us as well a decent break on service. =)
GoldnGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #5
coupe
Super Moderator

Yes.. the bolts could work their way out. Had that happen on my wife's Honda Accord several years ago...and they were still factory brakes!

Always good to check them routinely... and wouldn't hurt to have a dab of loctite on there to keep it retained.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:46 PM   #6
Sendero
Im gonna show her my...

The two "clunks" were most likely the bolts falling out of the spindle/caliper mounting bracket. When you get your car home remove the brackets and use Loctite Threadlocker Blue on the bolts and re-torque them. Make sure you do both sides of the vehicle. It might not be a bad idea to do the rear caliper bolts while you're at it.

I've known some people to safety wire these exact bolts, but they put their cars under extreme stress.

"I believe that a person's moral compass can be determined by how he references free men the right to defend themselves." T. Nugent
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." R. Heinlein
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience." -Unknown
Sendero is offline   Reply With Quote