StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
tayzoid1
5.slo stanger

turbo questions

ok so i have been reading up on some junkyard turbo setups and it really doesnt seem hard mechanicly im just gonna have to get some headers mount one up backwards make sure there is enough clearance for everything buy the turbo piping and sleeves and convert my holly to a blow through setup or buy an enclosure, i was wondering i know the benifits of an intercooler are undeniable but do i absolutly have to run one? also am i missing anything besides gaskets and lil things? and lastly am i thinking this is gonna be too easy? i would love to do it and i belive my fuel system is up to par for lower boost applications im just tryin to make some cheaper power because i have access to alot of the fabrication tools at school leave some input and and mixed feeling anything is appriciated!

thanks!
taylor
Old 07-22-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
TheJeanyus
Administrator

Putting it together is probably pretty easy. Getting it to run right is probably not.

An intercooler will give you a cooler intake air temp, which allows you to run more timing. You do not need one, but you will have to retard the timing to compensate for the hotter air.
TheJeanyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
coupe
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayzoid1
am i thinking this is gonna be too easy?
Yes.

1)Flipped shorty headers will require an oil filter relocation kit.
2)The "hotside piping" (crossover pipe, mounting pipe, flange, downpipe, and connecting it to existing or custom exhaust) will probably still be somewhere between $1200 and $1500.
3)You will need a wastegate, which ranges from about $200 to $500, depending on brand.
4)With a stickshift, you will want a "Blowoff valve" for gearchanges, etc. Figure another $200 or so.
5)Converting to blow-through carb can be done relatively inexpensively if you know about carbs, but it can also cost alot of money for the big names.

An intercooler is probably not necessary for 400-500hp on about 10-15psi...I've seen cars run fine without it, just make sure the timing is set appropriately.

Oh... and then there's the turbo. Something in the 400-600hp range I would assume? Something like this new from a reputable place would run $800-1200, depending on specific size. They can be found used for half that, but often times need a rebuild, which starts at about $300 and can escalate quickly.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:07 PM   #4
SlowJoe
Mind Blowing

also a good wide band so u can keep a check on A/F. and a good fuel reg.
WTB 1955 t-bird project
SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post

An intercooler is probably not necessary for 400-500hp on about 10-15psi.
I disagree with this statement on a street car that is driven in traffic.

Personally, I wouldn't run any turbo car without an intercooler. Of course, I wouldn't run a supercharger car without one either
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:31 PM   #6
tayzoid1
5.slo stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
Yes.

1)Flipped shorty headers will require an oil filter relocation kit.
2)The "hotside piping" (crossover pipe, mounting pipe, flange, downpipe, and connecting it to existing or custom exhaust) will probably still be somewhere between $1200 and $1500.
3)You will need a wastegate, which ranges from about $200 to $500, depending on brand.
4)With a stickshift, you will want a "Blowoff valve" for gearchanges, etc. Figure another $200 or so.
5)Converting to blow-through carb can be done relatively inexpensively if you know about carbs, but it can also cost alot of money for the big names.

An intercooler is probably not necessary for 400-500hp on about 10-15psi...I've seen cars run fine without it, just make sure the timing is set appropriately.

Oh... and then there's the turbo. Something in the 400-600hp range I would assume? Something like this new from a reputable place would run $800-1200, depending on specific size. They can be found used for half that, but often times need a rebuild, which starts at about $300 and can escalate quickly.
i was thinking i was gonna use same style longtubes like whats on the car, will this not work? and could i not fab up the exhaust myself? i knew i was gonna need the blow-off valve and the wastegate thats a given i just didnt list it. i have alot of friends that can find me the stuff used but as far as getting it to run right, Coupe. how would i go about getting this done. i have read alot on this at turbomustangs.com and basically after you drill out your powervalve tubes its all in trying to find that sweet spot with jet changes is this incorrect? i honestly never had any exspirence with turbo's so anything i am saying is just knowing the general idea and is subject to be very wrong so just let me know. anyone who see i am going in the wrong direction
Old 07-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #7
TheJeanyus
Administrator

I'm 99% sure you can't flip long tubes and make it work. I don't think there is enough room.
TheJeanyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:02 PM   #8
SlowJoe
Mind Blowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJeanyus View Post
I'm 99% sure you can't flip long tubes and make it work. I don't think there is enough room.
+1 shorties is the best bet.
WTB 1955 t-bird project
SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:57 PM   #9
klu408

I have seen alot of people make their own crossover pipe and such out of exhaust tubing and worked good for that hp range..

And about the oil filter relocation kit, you could do like I did and just get a FL-400s oil filter and it will clear the shortys flipped.

And BLOW THRU carbs dont work !!!!!!!
Just ask Joecoupe and Clyde..
Old 07-22-2009, 06:50 PM   #10
Dale McPeters
5.0 Block/Walnut Cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE View Post
I disagree with this statement on a street car that is driven in traffic.
Personally, I wouldn't run any turbo car without an intercooler. Of course, I wouldn't run a supercharger car without one either
Lee,

Matt is correct about the intercooler. I will not be running an intercooler out here in the desert at 15-16 lbs of boost.
By the way you know how hot it gets out here.

It all depends on how efficient the turbo/turbo's or superchargers are.....

There is also a turbocharged '69 comaro that was running a turbo making 12lbs of boost and did not have an intercooler. And it ran extremely well.
It now has one on it but only because he is running the 10.5 class on a regular basis.

Now with all that being said if the car is going to be a daily driver and being driven in downtown Atlanta Ga at rush hour.....well then you need an intercooler with ice and a 50 gallon meth injection kit....

Last edited by Dale McPeters; 07-22-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Dale McPeters is offline   Reply With Quote