StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
BIGDATOWN

I am having a bad idling problem

Ok. When the car is cold and been sitting for atleast an hour or over night the car will crank and idle perfectly! Now when the car has gotten warmed up for awhile and you turn the car off, it will not crank and stay running on its own. Its like the throttle stop to set your idle has completly broken off. The car seems to idle smoothly once you give it gas to hold a idle and will drive just fine. Now once you keep holding it at about a 800 rpm idle, you feel something seem like it went back to normal and the car will shoot up in idle until you let off the gas pedal, then it will idle correctly unless you turn the car off again, and then it starts all over unless sitting for awhile.

Sorry for the book, but I am really unsure as to how to figure out the problem. I tried forcing the car to open loop when it does it, changing to a different tune, all with no change.

Please HELP!

I also made a data log of what its doing if someone would like to look at it.

The car is a 95 mustang gt 5.0 Only mods are a c&l 76mm cal for 19's
BIGDATOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

It is the meter.

Do you have it hooked to a stock airbox or open filter?
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
grabbinandstabbin

it could be the IAC sticking too. had the same problem on my 94. took it off and clean it. solved the problem.
grabbinandstabbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:47 PM   #4
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

yeah you could try the IAC procedure first. If that don't fix it then either ditch the C&L meter or put the stock airbox back on (if you are not running it)

Back when I dabbled in retailing parts I was a C&L dealer. We quit promoting and selling any of their products within a few months because nearly every meter we sold people had problems with. Personally I don't recommend C&L products to anyone. But I have read where there 76mm kits pretty much cannot be run without the stock airbox because of this very problem you are experiencing.
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:54 AM   #5
BLOWN95GT

Have you tried cleaning the mass air meter yet? A lot of times the wires get caked up with the oil off of the air filter and can't get a good reading wich will cause idle surge especially if it's a new filter. I would also try what the others said and clean the iac, do you still have the stock meter housing? If somi guess you could swap it back out and see if it fixes it. I personally have never had a problem with a c&l meter making a car surge and that's all I ever ran before going blow thru, but it's worth a shot.
BLOWN95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:47 AM   #6
Sendero
Im gonna show her my...

Does outside temperature affect the idle? Example: If it's 90*'s outside it won't idle right for the first 90 seconds or so after sitting overnight. If it's 50*'s outside it will crank and idle fine after sitting overnight.

Lee, you know where I'm going with this. These issues are pretty similar.

"I believe that a person's moral compass can be determined by how he references free men the right to defend themselves." T. Nugent
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." R. Heinlein
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience." -Unknown
Sendero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:52 AM   #7
grabbinandstabbin

true it could also be the intake air temp sensor.
grabbinandstabbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:39 AM   #8
BIGDATOWN

I think I have it narrowed down to a sticking egr valve. It did this a few times before I went to c&l. And before I even bought this tuner. I actually turned the egr off in my tune now and gonna run it until it gives me another problem. If it doesn't I have my answer. And the temp didnt have anything to do it either. When I logged the problem the ACT was reading 104-106.
BIGDATOWN is offline   Reply With Quote